First time cruise to Alaska--cabin/ship questions!

firsttimer 62

For our first cruise, we're thinking of either the Statendam or Ryndam this August. Any general thoughts about these ships would be welcome; I know they're similar and understand that the Statendam just came out of dry dock and had some "adjustment" issues.

It’s also been hard to decide what kind of staterooms are worth it. There are so many categories! At this late date, the “good” side—the land side—isn’t available, so that makes me wonder if a veranda would be worth the extra price. And if it is, would I be better off going next year and getting the land side?

I’ve read on various posts that it’s important not to get a room under the disco, near the kitchen, elevators, or launderette, or too near the engines. Any other thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks!

Your cabin choices may be limited as this pretty late to be booking an Alaskan cruise on HAL. We love this size HAL ships because they are easy to get around on. It looks like you do both Glacier Bay and College Fjord which are great times to use a balcony to watch the scenic views. It allows you to sit on the balcony and slip back into the cabin to warm up occasionally which you can't do if you have an inside or outside cabin and are standing outside watching the view. So IMHO get a balcony if you can afford it.

Have a great first cruise.

IMHO life is too uncertain to defer something until everything is "perfect". I've not been to College Fjord, but do know that when in Glacier Bay, at the Margery Glacier, most of the time is spent with the port side facing the glacier. So that may influence your cabin choice. But then, that's about 1.5 hrs max of a 7-day cruise. So again, for me, is 1.5 hours out of 7 days the deciding factor? No. :)

IMHO life is too uncertain to defer something until everything is "perfect". I've not been to College Fjord, but do know that when in Glacier Bay, at the Margery Glacier, most of the time is spent with the port side facing the glacier. So that may influence your cabin choice. But then, that's about 1.5 hrs max of a 7-day cruise. So again, for me, is 1.5 hours out of 7 days the deciding factor? No. :)

It's the same with College Fjords, most of the commentary and viewing is port side.

For our first cruise, we're thinking of either the Statendam or Ryndam this August. Any general thoughts about these ships would be welcome; I know they're similar and understand that the Statendam just came out of dry dock and had some "adjustment" issues.

It’s also been hard to decide what kind of staterooms are worth it. There are so many categories! At this late date, the “good” side—the land side—isn’t available, so that makes me wonder if a veranda would be worth the extra price. And if it is, would I be better off going next year and getting the land side?

I’ve read on various posts that it’s important not to get a room under the disco, near the kitchen, elevators, or launderette, or too near the engines. Any other thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks!

Not sure if you realize it or not, but many times, your "land side" reference is BOTH sides, Inside Passage. AND some times will be open ocean with your "land side" miles and miles off. So, it comes down to your glacier, of which in Glacier Bay, Port side is "necessary", IF you do, ONLY want your glacier viewing from your cabin. With that, do accept, only getting a partial of the overall views. It isn't a given which side ports either.

OK, I've only been on a few dozen cruises. My question ... Which is the "land" side?

Cruising the Inside Passage, you'll have shore views from both sides about 95% of the time.

If you're on a northbound, the starboard would have a few more hours of shore views.

Southbound? It would be the port side.

If you're on a round-trip, both sides would have equal time (unless the ship sails the return leg in reverse).

If you're sailing a fijord, it will balance out (again, unless you sail in reverse ...)

When we were in Glacier Bay on the Tahitian Princess the captain turned the ship around several times to allow everyone to get views from their balcony. It was amzing to me how he was able to do it with the stabilizers but he did. I'm not sure I would delay your trip in hopes of getting a cabin on one side of the ship or the other.

Have a great next cruise.

When we tried to book a verandah with HAL, we were told that they held them for the people doing the cruisetours, and couldn't guarantee one if we requested it, and we wouldn't find out until just before we sailed if we got one. That bummed us out as we were looking forward to a little smaller ship for our first cruise, so we switched over to Princess. Have they opened the bookings now for the verandahs?

We booked a HAL verandah cabin the first day they had the 2011 itineraries available. We're doing a cruise only - not a cruise tour. It is round trip, so that may be a factor, but we got exactly the cabin we wanted.

We booked a HAL verandah cabin the first day they had the 2011 itineraries available. We're doing a cruise only - not a cruise tour. It is round trip, so that may be a factor, but we got exactly the cabin we wanted.

The round trip is definately the "factor". :) I find this policy by HAL, extremely limiting. They do open up the cabins later, but, in the past, they are not available, when the itineraries first become available.

Archived