Honningsvag Norway/ North Cape

The admission will be included. The buses pass through some toll booths some way before the visitor centre. There is not really the facility to collect the entrance fees on the bus. It seems to be a well established joint operation with the visitor centre and coach operator. There must have been about thirty coaches up there when we visited.

Although we were allocated a bus to get up there, we were just told to get a bus back in "about one and a half hours". It was more like a shuttle on the way back. We were then able to look around the few shops in town before getting back onboard. We could have easily gone into the Ice Bar while we were waiting but that's not really our thing and it didn't seem worth it.

Just noticed your mention of Ice Bar, where is it? We live in the Cayman Islands and that is something we do want to see. I know there is an Absolut One in Copenhagen but would be interest in knowing more about this one.

Thanks

Just noticed your mention of Ice Bar, where is it? We live in the Cayman Islands and that is something we do want to see. I know there is an Absolut One in Copenhagen but would be interest in knowing more about this one.

Thanks

As you can see in this photo, you can't really miss it.

It's right on the waterside, these are the ship's photographers taking the usual shots when you first get ashore.

There isn't really that much to Honningsvaag that you could really miss it.

2965387520079173854S600x600Q85.jpg

• 11 months later...

Aside from the car rental site, does anyone know to get from Honningsvag to the North Cape, without the inflated price from the cruise ship? I know there is to be a public bus, but I cannot find any information as to where you get it, and what it's scheduled time is.

This has been driving me crazy.

Terry, did you rent a car, and how much was it, and is it easy to navigate around the area.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Lynn

Aside from the car rental site, does anyone know to get from Honningsvag to the North Cape, without the inflated price from the cruise ship? I know there is to be a public bus, but I cannot find any information as to where you get it, and what it's scheduled time is.

Terry, did you rent a car, and how much was it, and is it easy to navigate around the area.

Lynn

You can catch the bus right at the port building I think There is a link to the schedule in message #9 above

We prebooked a taxi for 7 of us from our Roll Call

Nordkapp Taxi

Tel (+47) 78 47 22 34

Email: taxi@nordkapptaxi.no

Thanks for the information. I missed it. I don't think we have enough people for a taxi, but I will check with them also.

Much thanks

Ask on your Roll Call you will be surprised at how quickly you can get 5 others to share ;)

It was around 1850 NOK for the taxi & I think 235 NOK PP to get into the North Cape centre

a lot cheaper than the cruise line prices

Lyn

Lyn,

We have a pretty non responsive roll call. I think I can pull together 5 people, but everyone else is scared off because of posts about fog and rain.......but at least you give me an idea of cost of the taxi, and i just emailed them. I do appreciate the help.

Lynn ( with 2 n's)!!!

Lyn,

We have a pretty non responsive roll call. I think I can pull together 5 people, but everyone else is scared off because of posts about fog and rain.......but at least you give me an idea of cost of the taxi, and i just emailed them. I do appreciate the help.

Lynn ( with 2 n's)!!!

They do have a smaller taxi for 1250 NOK plus admission

http://www.birdsafari.com/Arkiv/Local_taxi.htm just scroll down to the North cape info

If you have 7 people it works out to about 500 NOK pp or (under $100 USD)

If you spell the pricing out for people it seems to work better ;)

Good luck

Hope you can make the trip up there

There is not a lot to see but it is one of those places that you can say "been there done that"

Lyn

Lyn, We have a pretty non responsive roll call. I think I can pull together 5 people, but everyone else is scared off because of posts about fog and rain.......but at least you give me an idea of cost of the taxi, and i just emailed them. I do appreciate the help. Lynn ( with 2 n's)!!!

Yes, to be honest, the weather here can be a "crap shoot", but that goes with the territory. There's risk and reward!!! It can be super sunny and then turn foggy. BUT, if you don't "go for it", you'll never have the potential to see the greatness that is here.

For Lynn, we got our car rental through: lene@nordkappbilservice.no

The cost was roughly around $120 as I recall.

To do our boat charter, you can check this website: http://www.birdsafari-auroa.no

Our Captain was super, excellent for doing a 90-minute tour. It was scheduled for only sixty minutes, but we got more. His boat had a capacity of eight persons, was a 27-feet size and was propelled by 222-horse power engine with thrusters to get closer to the rocks of this protected island where humans are not allowed. For the four of us, it cost us a total of 2000 NOK for the boat charter. We had special “polar suits” to protect against the cold and wind. It was not too cold, but we needed these warmer suits they provided.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,270 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

For anyone interested, here's a webcam showing the exit from Honningsvag harbour.

http://www.ogp.nu/siste.jpg

The town is out of sight beyond the height of land on the left.

Thanks for the link and additional info. Wondering what are those two poles are in the middle of the photo. Will revisit when light - maybe it will make more sense then!

For anyone interested, here's a webcam showing the exit from Honningsvag harbour.

http://www.ogp.nu/siste.jpg The town is out of sight beyond the height of land on the left. Thanks for the link and additional info. Wondering what are those two poles are in the middle of the photo. Will revisit when light - maybe it will make more sense then!

Below is the view of the Honningsvag harbor as we got ready to dock there on July 9, 2010. We docked on the left side. Later, a large 2600-passenger German Aida ship docked on the right side. In the middle of this docking area is a tourism office in the three-story building. To the left of the building with the tourism office is a six-story hotel. Tour buses are parked in that central, open area near the tourism office. You take a road to the left to drive towards the North Cape.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,350 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Approaching to dock in Honningsvag, near the North Cape of Europe.:

HonningsvagMainHarbor.jpg

http://www.ogp.nu/siste.jpg

The town is out of sight beyond the height of land on the left.

Thanks for the link and additional info. Wondering what are those two poles are in the middle of the photo. Will revisit when light - maybe it will make more sense then!

From what I can tell, it's just a photo (not a webcam) dated Oct 25, 2005 ...

Edited by boeckli

Interesting picture.

Looks like a weird set up electrical wires to me.

Yes, you are right, I missed the wires the first time. No doubt they are telephone poles - awfully tall, but more probably closer than the rest of the town.

• 2 weeks later...

Lynn

Advance information for the public bus is extremely difficult to obtain. It usually leaves between 10 & 11 a.m. June 2010 it was an 11 a.m. departure. Purchase tickets inside the tourist office at the pier as soon as they start disembarking passengers. The line for boarding the bus will begin to form outside the tourist office about an hour before departure time. It is an excellent way and the most reasonable. There is a huge toll to be paid on top of the car rental fee if you do drive.

The best view of the North Cape is from the cruise ship as it sails.

The best view of the North Cape is from the cruise ship as it sails.

Agree that the "sail by" from your ship is the best way really, honestly to see the dramatic North Cape. Fortunately, as you can see in my various pictures below, the clouds broke through and we got some nice sun on this dramatic location. In just a few minutes, with any luck, things can change and get better, hopefully.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,675 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Here are two views of the North Cape as we approached and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky.:

NorCapeSunBreakingThru.jpg

NorthCapeRedNorHotPixShot.jpg

The ship did a full 360-degree rotation to allow all on the ship, whether on the top deck or in the rooms on both sides, to see this wonderful spectacle of the North Cape. The second shot allows a great look at the detail for this massive rock formation.:

NorthCapeShipTurning.jpg

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

It’s fun to get these “for the record” shots of family and friends posing with the North Cape in the background. Being cooler up here, even in July, requires a little extra in coverings/blankets, etc.:

NorthCapeSmilingforCamera.jpg

Travelite,

thanks for the info. A group of us have rented a car, but the company never mentioned "the huge tolls". What are they? Where are they and why? Thanks

I think there is a tunnel you go under as you leave town. Perhaps there is a toll for that? Do hope someone knows and will post the toll amount.

DH said the country is paying for the road to North Cape by charging high entrance fees rather than taxing the residents. It is possible they also have a toll road here - seems to be the thing to do these days - in Florida as well!

We cruised the HAL North Cape Explorer last year in July on the Prinsendam. The King Crab Safari was one of the highlights of the entire cruise - an we went on some fabulous excursions. Just the ride across the bay in the Kodiak was worth the trip - but it was cold - we had to wear survival suits (and I don't look that good in orange). They outfitted us with boots, survival suits (over our own coats), gloves and goggles. Most of the passengers sat on the inflated rubber side of the Kodiak boat and held on with a rope. We stopped in middle of the bay and, yes, the crab pots were staged - but I did not care. They hauled in a full crab pot and we continued on to the other side of the bay where we had the Sami tent complete with bar, center cooking fire and benched covered in reindeer fur. My facebook photo is me in that orange suit holding a crab. There was a herd of reindeer near the tent. After dining on the crab - we went back on the Kodiak. It was wild and so much better than a bus tour. Another passenger on our cruise tried to get on the tour though the tour operator directly - but it was sold out. Those that went to the North Cape reported fog so thick they could not see much. We think we definately made the right choice for us. Loved it!!!

Ok, all you wonderful, knowledgeable people........I have rented a car, and we were thinking of the bird safari, the North cape, and wondered if there were any other poosible things to fit in. Misty Girl, how long was the King Crab fest, and do you have a site where we can look it up.

Any other suggestions are welcome, as nothing is set in stone.

Lynn

Terry, thanks for the great pictures.

Ok, all you wonderful, knowledgeable people........I have rented a car, and we were thinking of the bird safari, the North cape, and wondered if there were any other poosible things to fit in. Misty Girl, how long was the King Crab fest, and do you have a site where we can look it up. Any other suggestions are welcome, as nothing is set in stone.

Lynn

Terry, thanks for the great pictures.

Appreciate the nice comment from Lynn. Give the credit to Mother Nature for creating such a beautiful location.

On the toll tunnel, we headed north toward the North Cape and bird island so we did not have to pay any such fees.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,760 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.