the 2010 season has begun

bottom-dragger

I saw one of the NCL ships float by yesterday heading north in the Strait of Georgia...I was watching the hockey game so don't know if it was the Star or the Pearl....but yes, the season is on.

The Pearl arrives in Skagway tomorrow - and we woke up to 2 inches of snow on the ground this morning (and it's still coming down :( ). It looks like it might be fairly localized, and it isn't forecast to last, though.

I live in a very toursty town and I would Never tell a tourist a lie. I know they are my bread and butter. So I certainly hope the Alaskan locals treat the tourists the same as what I would treat the tourists.

I live in a very toursty town and I would Never tell a tourist a lie. I know they are my bread and butter. So I certainly hope the Alaskan locals treat the tourists the same as what I would treat the tourists.

Alaskan locals do - that's why I added that comment about "most of the tour guides" (who aren't locals).

Rain: I have been to Alaska, and SE Alaska, several times. I have had NO rain except a little sprinkle for a few minutes, once, in Ketchikan.

Cold: I have never been cold up there, only a little cool at the viewing of Hubbard Glacier.

One of these times my luck will run out, but I always have a couple of light jackets and a rain poncho.

Rain: I have been to Alaska, and SE Alaska, several times. I have had NO rain except a little sprinkle for a few minutes, once, in Ketchikan.

Cold: I have never been cold up there, only a little cool at the viewing of Hubbard Glacier.

That's the spirit - getting right into bottom-dragger's "fresh faces to tell the same old lies to." :D I had an orca breach so close to the ship that I thought he was going to land on my balcony! :)

I saw one of the NCL ships float by yesterday heading north in the Strait of Georgia...I was watching the hockey game so don't know if it was the Star or the Pearl....but yes, the season is on.

It was the Pearl, we were at Ambleside to see it go under the bridge on Saturday night. Got me excited for my trip in less than a month!!

3878866_IMG_0680(Medium).jpg.91f820ad6502ad3ac5e510b72d1f3513.jpg

One of these times my luck will run out, but I always have a couple of light jackets and a rain poncho.

Actually, this is the total truth.

I understand the joke about sunny and warm, but that is what I've experienced. Look out in August! I'll be back and it will be cold and damp!

It was the Pearl, we were at Ambleside to see it go under the bridge on Saturday night. Got me excited for my trip in less than a month!!

She was sitting at anchor in Nanaimo Thursday night, evidently she had been scheduled for Campbell River that night but NCL cancelled out on Campbell River. They have done the same thing with the Star for this fall.

I live near a very touristy town in Texas and work in the midst of it all. Been there, done that about tall tales. I have my own accent which is very Alaskan and people ask me if I grew up in Texas.

Can't help myself. 'Sure' I say. Natural born cow girl.

Here in the desert southwest our 'untruth' is the jackalope.

Two weeks from today I will be boarding the Amsterdam for the first of her new 14-day itineraries which include both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

It's also the first of her cruises into Anchorage itself, sailing up Cook Inlet. We have lots of great port stops. I can hardly wait. It's my first trip to Alaska. :)

a few years ago, while in juneau riding public transportation (that means the bus) we were on egan dr where it parallels gastineau channel. the majority of the bus was "not from around here". one of the locals points to the west over the channel and said "see that, right over there? that's russia".

a few head nodding and photos taken. i was rolling my eyes so hard you could hear them click.

okay, so it was really douglas island. expect to have your leg pulled, or maybe your finger, or the truth slightly embellished if you haven't done your homework.

A few years ago, after dessert, everyone was slow to leave the (early seating) dining room.

Then came the cry WHALE! WHALE!

Everyone jumped up to look - at a waiter carrying a toy whale.

We suspected this was a fun way to clear the dining room in a hurry, so they could get on with cleaning for late seating!

At least one guide I used to know very well (from Outside) just made stuff up as he went. Most of the mountains, glaciers and other geographic features here don't have names, and some folks don't believe that. When I was guiding it wasn't unusual when someone asked the name of a mountain and I'd say that it didn't have a name, that the response would be some version of "if you don't know the name, just say so". When I wasn't sure, that would be my answer to the question, but in most cases the same mountains were asked about over and over and I did know that they were unnamed. Anyway, the guide I knew gave everything a name, because "they'll never be back and will never check anyway." That may be a good example of "ya get what ya give."

In '08 we were riding a bus to a Juneau whale watch as the bus driver was pointing out Douglas Island during the Bridge to Nowhere story, and he mentioned that there's a difference in the water level of 23 feet in the Gastineau Channel between high and low tides, and a man's voice from the back of the bus called out, "How often?"

Now that's asking for it. :D

In '08 we were riding a bus to a Juneau whale watch as the bus driver was pointing out Douglas Island during the Bridge to Nowhere story, and he mentioned that there's a difference in the water level of 23 feet in the Gastineau Channel between high and low tides, and a man's voice from the back of the bus called out, "How often?"

Now that's asking for it. :D

You wouldn't believe how often people would get off their ship at Skagway, board my bus and ask what the elevation of Skagway is - HUH????

That'd be a moose cow in your case, though, eh? :D

Had it happen at lunch today in a local restaurant when someone asked me what something was on the menu.

A Texas dish I can't discuss in polite company. I didn't offer advice.

Archived