Regent's Air..Has any one run into this situation ??

Hello Everyone

This is my problem. My daughter and I booked our Iceland to Southampton 5/26/10 cruise using Regent's air and pre-cruise hotel package. Regent's scheduled us on a flight arriving in Iceland from San Francisco at 6:20 am. and check in at the hotel is 2:00 pm. Due to the long flight, I wanted to check into our room in the morning and take a nap before exploring. My TA told me today that we will have to book another night at $400 in order to get an early check in. Am I wrong for feeling that since Regent's booked us on this very early arrival flight that they should make arrangements for early check in without additional cost to their passengers?

This is a common problem, not only with Regent hotels reservations, but, with most hotel reservations. I suggest contacting the hotel and requesting "early arrival". Most hotels will accommodate your request if they are not fully booked. If the hotel is booked, they generally will hold your luggage. You can then spend some time exploring -- then check in -- take a nap and resume exploring.:)

We have used a Regent hotel package and air for 4 European cruises. We have arrived each time on an early flight and have checked into the hotel as soon as we arrived. We have been allowed to check in as early as 9:30 am. I wouldn't change any flights, and I wouldn't worry. You will most likely have time to take that nap.

This is a common problem; I wouldn't blame Regent since the flights from SF to Iceland must be pretty limited.

Ask the hotel for early check-in, but normally they will tell you that it's not possible to promise that in advance, since it depends on when guests check out. You will be able to dump your bags at least, and perhaps they will have a quiet lounge for a nap while you await a room.

One could hope that Regent might provide something, but then what would that be short of paying for an extra night? I remember in 2000, when Radisson was doing all the right things, being left at Papeete airport from about 3-11 a.m. Ick, this was the worst. Since they were flying us off to a remote island, there wasn't much choice. You'd think when you're paying prep-cruise prices they could at least get you a guaranteed early check-in.

I wouldn't worry. We have checked into hotels in Europe early in the morning MANY times. It is not a problem unless they are fully booked.

Twice, once in Bruges and once in Dublin, we had to leave our luggage at the hotel and just go exploring till a room was ready, but in both cases, the hotel had a room available for us by noon. And, amazingly, in both cases, the hotel offered us breakfast even though we weren't technically checked in.

BTW, where are you staying? We will be at the Hilton, arriving on the 23rd. Looking forward to meeting you.

Hello Everyone

This is my problem. My daughter and I booked our Iceland to Southampton 5/26/10 cruise using Regent's air and pre-cruise hotel package. Regent's scheduled us on a flight arriving in Iceland from San Francisco at 6:20 am. and check in at the hotel is 2:00 pm. Due to the long flight, I wanted to check into our room in the morning and take a nap before exploring. My TA told me today that we will have to book another night at $400 in order to get an early check in. Am I wrong for feeling that since Regent's booked us on this very early arrival flight that they should make arrangements for early check in without additional cost to their passengers?

Hi Lovesatq,

I work in the hotel industry and would like to make the following suggestions. Contact the Guest Relations and Services Manager/Front Office Manager, either by email or phone, and explain your situation. This will give them advance notice of your arrival time. Most hotels are eager to work with you and try to comply with your request of early check-in if at all possible; specifically, since you've been flying for so many hours. While there is no guarantee that your accommodation will be ready at your time of arrival, your request ahead of time will give their Housekeeping department some ample time to prepare your accommodation. In addition, clarify that you are not being charged for early check-in and try to get that in writing in your reservation, or via email. Make sure you have the name of the individual you are dealing with at the hotel, as back-up documentation. I would certainly not pay that $400.

Have a wonderful trip!

BTW, where are you staying? We will be at the Hilton, arriving on the 23rd. Looking forward to meeting you.

We're staying at the Grand Reykjavik for just one night before the cruise. Looking forward to meeting you too.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post a reply. I'll go ahead today and contact the hotel and see what they can do for us. When I was quoted $400 for one night, my jaw just about dropped. Thanks again all.....

Archived