Best way SJC to Fisherman's Wharf San Fran

cynt

I'm looking for the best transportation (shuttle, taxi, etc.) from San Jose Airport to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Yes I know there is an airport in SF but my airline miles double trying to fly into SFO. I also know about OAK but AA doesn't fly into OAK.

We have 2 airports in Dallas - the big airport DFW and the small DAL. They're about 30-45 minutes apart depending on the traffic and they're on opposite sides of town. Is this the same case for SFO and SJC?

San Jose is located at the very bottom of the San Francsico Bay area. probably about 50 miles up to Fishermans Wharf instead of 15-20 miles from the SF airport. Not sure of transportaion options but I'm sure much more limited and probably quite a bit more expensive.

Would really not recommend this as traffic could be a nightmare during commute hours, easily 1-2 hours depending if anything happens on the freeways. I would allow at least 1+ hour in light traffic.

San Jose is a different city than SF, just in the same general area. The comparison with DFW and Love Field is not apt. http://www.sjc.org/travelers.php?page=ground_trans/public&subtitle=Ground+Transportation+|+Public+Transportation lists public transportation options. I haven't done it, but either Caltrans (to SF) or the BART option (shuttle to the Fremont BART option then BART subway to SF) might work. You don't mention the time you'll have to do this trip. Traffic is a factor.

SJC is about 48 miles away from Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. On the trip to Fisherman's Wharf, you will actually pass SFO which is only 15 miles away :p.

That said, you need to realize that the both the hassle factor to get to The City and the price go up dramatically if you pursue this option. If you look at the website for SJC, they estimate that a shuttle will set you back $79 per person :eek:. If you pack light, the VTA and Caltrain combination is doable, but you will still need to get from the Caltrain station in San Francisco to Fisherman's wharf. At least with SFO, you can take BART to the Embarcadero and an inexpensive cab the rest of the way. Traffic on 101 (there is no against the traffic on that freeway) is also a factor.

I would consider either breaking down and spending all the miles or saving them for another trip before I did this itinerary.

Thanks everyone for the in depth explanation. Looks like I'll be spending double the miles to fly into SFO. Man, I was trying to squeeze two vacations out of my miles. O well at least I'll be able to fly 1st class to and from SFO. LOL!

Thanks again!!

I guess I would just suck up that $79 per person shuttle fare and save my miles for a $400 plus airfare later.

The 101 freeway has a carpool lane all the way north into San Francisco, so even if the traffic is bad (but northbound is bit better in the afternoon compared to the morning.)

As San Francisco isn't a major cruise destination, perhaps if you posted this question on www.tripadvisor.com you would get some other ideas--but to be honest I think all of your options have been discussed here--other than a one way car rental (perhaps SJC to SFO) and then the BART or a cab to the cruise ship.

So the doubling of miles used wasn't just a matter of which airport-- you also get to fly First Class? That's a whole different kettle of fish (or kettle of something). Needing to spend 2 x miles to fly First Class sounds like a deal. A no-brainer (I'm good at those). Enjoy the trip in First, plus have less hassle getting to SF.

Thanks everyone for the in depth explanation. Looks like I'll be spending double the miles to fly into SFO. Man, I was trying to squeeze two vacations out of my miles. O well at least I'll be able to fly 1st class to and from SFO. LOL!

Thanks again!!

Being in the front of the plane makes any trip better.

Hello,

Consider flying Southwest Airlines to San Francisco (saving the air miles for a longer flight) and then Super Shuttle to Fishermens Wharf.

I would also double check transportation options from SJC to the Wharf as I believe that there are lesser fares than $79.00 per person one way. Go to ground transportation at SJC and take a look.

Archived