excursions at the port

We've booked through the cruiseline, and on our own. Some have missed the ship on their own, so I wouldn't book an excursion that's supposed to get back in just under the wire on my own. Check the ports of call boards for good recommendations if you want to book independently. You tend to save a bit of money that way.

Get a guidebook if you intend to "go it alone"...that way, you'll know about the ports you'll visit. The book will detail transportation, how far points of interest are, what cabs should cost, and they even give info on tours and guides. Not to mention info on beaches, shopping, restaurants, safety, etc.....

Always gather a bit of knowledge about where you're going, before you get there!!!!

I've twice taken post cruise excursions at Miami because our flight wasn't scheduled till 5pm. One big advantage is someone is watching your bags while you are on the excursion and there is no rush getting off the ship, its very organized.

With research (and a good dose of common sense) booking excursions on your own will be a good experience.

If I do it "on my own" I tend to do the excursion in the morning so we are back in the general vicinity of the port well before the ship is scheduled to sail.

Archived