Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

Steve ~ when's your next trip?

Hi Anne!

We'll be going back in early October - for two weeks! :D

Staying in the Chocolate Hole area this time around - hopefully to get some amazing sunsets!

Edited by augie

I'll

To get there, regardless of where you dock, hop in a taxi and head to the Red Hook Ferry dock. The ferry to Cruz Bay St. John leaves every hour on the hour. If you make the 9:00 AM ferry, you'll beat the crowds and have more time on the island. It's only about a 20 minute ferry ride. When you get off the ferry there are bunches of taxis waiting to take you to the beach or on an island tour or both. It's about $6 per person from the dock to Trunk Bay with a couple of wonderful scenic overlooks on the way (my avatar is taken from the Trunk Bay overlook). It is a spectacular island.

I enjoyed reading your details about St. John. We will be in st. Thomas on January 1 on a cruise. We will definitely take your advice. Question about visiting the Virgin Isalnd Nationa Park. I saw that they have a 3 mile walk with a ranger, and then you get a boat ride to Cruz Bay. There are also other programs. So you have any additional information?

Severna ~ Here's a link to the VI National Park Website:

http://www.nps.gov/viis/index.htm

If you go to their Schedule of Events and scroll over days that are highlighted in green you'll find the various hikes. The description of the hike you are talking about (Reef Bay) is inserted below.

But I doubt you'll have enough time to do this. If your ship is in early enough to be in Cruz Bay by 9:30 (and it might be), it probably leaves no later than 6:00 PM. If you did the hike, you'd have to take the 4:00 PM ferry back to St. Thomas. You could make it if your ship leaves at 6:00 but that would be cutting it extremely close given the normally heavy traffic on St. Thomas.

Also, Jan. 1 is a holiday and a Sunday next year so I'm doubting the hike would be offered at all that day. If you look at the schedule currently offered, they do not offer any hikes on Sunday.

But I'm posting the info below anyway for those whose schedule might permit them to do it. It's an awesome trip!

Reef Bay Hike Times: 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM

Location: Begins at the Park's Visitor Center Summary: Participants must meet at the Visitor Center to be checked in, then board a shuttle to the head of the trail for the approximately 3-mile guided hike. Participants are then returned to the Visitor Center by boat. Fees: $21.00 per person to cover cost of transportation. Details: The secrets of St. John's tropical forests, petroglyphs, and sugar mill ruins come alive on this three-mile downhill hike. The Reef Bay Trail is mostly downhill but is notnecessarily easydue to its length, steep rocky terrain, short but strenuous uphill sections, and the prevailing heat and humidity. In addition there is the remote possibility that deteriorating sea conditions might require hiking back uphill to the trailhead. Visitors with circulatory or joint/muscle problems, other medical conditions, or with small children, should carefully evaluate their ability to do this hike.

Participants should bring lunch,1-2 liters of water per person, any special medication (taken daily), and a swimsuit for a quick swim at the trail's end. Wear good hiking shoes and cool, comfortable clothing.Light colors are less attractive to mosquitoes.

This hike includes transportation – a taxi ride to the trail head (fee $6.) and a boat pickup which returns hikers to the Visitors Center dock at Cruz Bay (fee $15.)Total costs $21. Cash only please.

Reservations Required. Call 776-6201 ext. 238. Please do not attempt to make reservations via the internet. There is limited all day parking available—please check at the Front Desk for a permit. All hikersmustcheck in at the Park's VisitorCenter by 9:30 a.m.

We went to Honeymoon Beach on St. John's a few years ago and it was very memorable. We did a Champagne snorkel and Catamaran (or something like that) excursion. The Catamaran took us to Honeymoon Beach. No one was there except our group of 15 to 20 people. The snorkeling was excellent. Relaxing on a beach with almost no one around and swimming was really great. It is an experience we will never forget and a different way to experience St. John that I assume is still available.

We did see stingrays along the north shore beaches when we were there in May but just a few.

Hi Anne: Thank you so much for all this valuable info. My daughter and I have never been to the Caribbean and will be on the Celebrity Summit on Dec. 16 in port from 8-5. It says we dock in C. A. Does this mean we will not be close to the shorter ferry ride? And then would it be better to consider a ships excursion? Or would we have time to cab over to the other ferry terminal and catch the 9:00 am ferry? Would taking the 3PM back to CA cut too close for a 5 PM departure? Do you know if Celebrity offers excursions like the previous poster mentioned from RCI? Also, we are avid snorklers and would love to go to a great snorkling beach. Perhaps better to do a snorkel excursion? Oh-I beleive that one of our roll call posters indicated that there will be 2 other ships in port that day. Thanks for any advice you can provide. :o

Anne - Thank you for all your helpful posts. I loved your pictures.

What I didn't realize (until I read the posts) is that we can take our rental car to St. John's via the ferry. I was wondering about parking and how we'd get around on St. John's, but now I know. :)

I do have a question for you, Anne ... that I didn't see anyone ask on the previous posts. We're staying on St. Thomas. Do you know if we can take our car on a ferry to Tortola? I haven't checked out the Tortola board to see if this has been asked, but thought I'd see if you knew this answer. We've been to Tortola many times and if we have time, we'd like to hop a ferry and visit the island for a day. We're more interested in St. John's since we've not been there before (we've been to St. Thomas).

Thanks!

What I didn't realize (until I read the posts) is that we can take our rental car to St. John's via the ferry.!

That's not true for all of the companies that rent on STT - before you take your rental to St. John on the car barge, check to ensure that the company you rent from allows this.

Edited by augie

That's not true for all of the companies that rent on STT - before you take your rental to St. John on the car barge, check to ensure that the company you rent from allows this.

Thank you so much for this tip!! :)

Apparently Hertz doesn't allow this and will fine us $1,000 if they find out we did this. Does anyone know which companies allow their cars to taken to St. John via the ferry?

Something is wrong with this thread. I can't get to page 28. When I click on 28 it takes me to the first post. I posted on another thread and it didn't go to the top of the list. Must be a glitch.

Edited to add: When this posted page 28 disappeared. Weird.

Edited by twinkletoes4445

I posted this on the main STT/STJ board but maybe I'll get a different answer here.

Looking for advice on driving from Coral to Cruz Bay. Last time we came back from Skinny Legs via the North Shore Rd and Trunk Bay.

We were wanting to go back using Centerline Rd or Bordeaux Rd. Which way is best? Which will give us the best vistas? Anyone driven these roads lately?

Thanks, Michael

Hi everyone ~ there was a hiccup with the boards last night so many posts were having problems appearing. I'm hoping all is back to normal now.

mdrobtx ~ the North Shore Rd is FAR more scenic as you drive along the north shore beaces and can stop for many photo ops. There are no scenic overviews along Centerline Rd although it may be a bit shorter becasue there isn't anything to stop and take photos of. The only real photo op on Centerline is at Chateaux Bordeaux. I'd recommend going from Cruz Bay to Coral on Centerline, stopping at the overlook at Chateau Boredeaux, going down to Coral Bay (skinny legs, etc) and the coming back up and heading to the North Shore Rd to get back to Cruz Bay. The turnoff to the North Shore Rd is before you get back to Chateaux Bordeaux so watch for it on your way down to Coral Bay. There is a little smoothie stand on the south side of the road where the cutoff to the North Shore Rd is located.

Have fun!

Hi everyone ~ there was a hiccup with the boards last night so many posts were having problems appearing. I'm hoping all is back to normal now.

mdrobtx ~ the North Shore Rd is FAR more scenic as you drive along the north shore beaces and can stop for many photo ops. There are no scenic overviews along Centerline Rd although it may be a bit shorter becasue there isn't anything to stop and take photos of. The only real photo op on Centerline is at Chateaux Bordeaux. I'd recommend going from Cruz Bay to Coral on Centerline, stopping at the overlook at Chateau Boredeaux, going down to Coral Bay (skinny legs, etc) and the coming back up and heading to the North Shore Rd to get back to Cruz Bay. The turnoff to the North Shore Rd is before you get back to Chateaux Bordeaux so watch for it on your way down to Coral Bay. There is a little smoothie stand on the south side of the road where the cutoff to the North Shore Rd is located.

Have fun!

Thanks Anne for those great directions. We want to go to Coral Bay via North Shore to beat the cruise crowd. We are the first of 3 ships in that morning.

Checking out Chateaus Bordeaux is the reason we wanted to go back using Centerline.

How far is Chateaux Bordeaux from Skinny Legs? Maybe we'll go up to Chateaux B. and then back again thru Coral Bay and NS rd.

How far is Chateaux Bordeaux from Skinny Legs? Maybe we'll go up to Chateaux B. and then back again thru Coral Bay and NS rd.

From Skinny Legs you go "back up the mountain" (it will make sense to you once you're there) and Chateau Bordeaux is just a few minutes past the Centerline/North Shore intersection. So if you do decide to go that route, you won't be back tracking far at all to drive back to town via North Shore. Actually one of my favorite stretches of road on the island is that part of North Shore that runs from Centerline down towards the north coast of the island!

mdrobtx ~ I think if you want to beat the crowds out to Coral Bay, Centerline is quicker I believe (Augie, don't you think Centerline is quicker going east than North Shore). The North Shore is filled with lots of turns and hills while Centerline tends to be more of a "straight" shot (if there is such a think on St. John). :)

If you go out Centerline, you'll come to Chateau Bordeaux first, then you can go down to Coral Bay and Skinny Legs (a ten - twelve minute drive) and then catch the North Shore Road on your way back up the mountain for the trip back to Cruz Bay. It's less than five mintues from the North Shore Road to Chateaux Bordeaux so it really doesn't matter all that much if you stop there on your way to or from Cruz Bay.

As far as stopping along the North Shore Rd. beaches, it's a bit easier going out the North Shore Rd. to Coral Bay because you are driving on the left side of the road for easy in and out of beach parking lots. Although it isn't difficult to get into the parking lots if you are driving North Shore back to Cruz Bay. If your goal is to visit the beaches before they get crowded, this might be the better option for you. You won't have any crowds out in Coral Bay. Not many people get out there from ships because you really need to rent a car to get there. Most island taxi tours don't go that far.

Either way, you'll have a great day.

ENJOY!

Hi Anne,

You're right - the quickest way to get to Coral Bay from Cruz Bay is via Centerline. I just thought that they might be trying to beat the crowds to the north shore beaches (before continuing on to Coral Bay) , in which case they'd want to take North Shore Road out of Cruz Bay.

As far as the drive back to town (Cruz Bay) goes, if I'm staying in Coral Bay, East End, etc. and it's my last drive of the trip, I always leave early enough to take the drive back via North Shore Road since it's so beautiful going that way.

One more thing to consider - you pointed out that it's easier to pull into the parking areas for the north shore beaches as you're driving east (away from Cruz Bay) and the same thing is true for the scenic overlooks where everyone stops to take those pictures we all love. However, if you have the opportunity to take them later in the day, as opposed to earlier, the sun will be behind you, which usually provides better lighting for those shots!

Hi Anne,

You're right - the quickest way to get to Coral Bay from Cruz Bay is via Centerline. I just thought that they might be trying to beat the crowds to the north shore beaches (before continuing on to Coral Bay) , in which case they'd want to take North Shore Road out of Cruz Bay.

!

Exactly Augie. We want to go NS rd to check out the bays before the cruise crowd gets there. This is what we did the last time we drove to Coral Bay. We just never have come back Centerline Rd and checked out Chateaux Bordeaux.

Thanks for the info you two.;)

Michael.........

Hello everyone...

This is my first cruise (and first post), so please bare with all my questions!

We will be on the Grand Princess in January and after reading through this thread I have definitely made up my mind to go over to St. John, but I have a few questions.

There will be my husband, myself and our 3 kids (10,6,1). I would love to see as much of the island as possible, but don't want to spend a fortune to do it! The taxi tour sounds great, but with the taxi to Red Hook, the cost of the ferry and then around the island and to Trunk how much do you think I'm looking at spending?

Another question which might be a dumb one...is it possible to take another cruise lines shore excursion? I like the sound of celebrity's STL2 excursion and since the solstice will be in port the same day (we are there from 7-5 and the solstice from 8-5) I was wondering if this would be possible? Its sounds great for the price, but has anyone been on this tour?

Renting a car is another option if it would work out cheaper, but I'm a little nervous about being on the other side of the road :eek:

I appreciate all your expert advice, and really would just like the best (and cheapest) way to see as much of the island while still being able to stop and relax/snorkel at some of the beaches.

Thanks!! :)

Hi Anne: Thank you so much for all this valuable info. My daughter and I have never been to the Caribbean and will be on the Celebrity Summit on Dec. 16 in port from 8-5. It says we dock in C. A. Does this mean we will not be close to the shorter ferry ride? And then would it be better to consider a ships excursion? Or would we have time to cab over to the other ferry terminal and catch the 9:00 am ferry? Would taking the 3PM back to CA cut too close for a 5 PM departure? Do you know if Celebrity offers excursions like the previous poster mentioned from RCI? Also, we are avid snorklers and would love to go to a great snorkling beach. Perhaps better to do a snorkel excursion? Oh-I beleive that one of our roll call posters indicated that there will be 2 other ships in port that day. Thanks for any advice you can provide. :o

I was hoping that someone on this thread could please help me with my questions posted a few days ago above? Anne, maybe this did not show up first time? Also I reviewed the Celebrity excursions and they have the 6 hour shopping and DIY tour that another poster mentioned which may be a good alternative. Thanks.:eek:

My daughter and I have never been to the Caribbean and will be on the Celebrity Summit on Dec. 16 in port from 8-5. It says we dock in C. A. Does this mean we will not be close to the shorter ferry ride?

Yes, the Charlotte Amaile ferry is fairly close to where your ship will dock. It doesn't run as frequently (or as regularly) as the Red Hook ferry, so even though it's closer to your ship it may not get you to St. John any earlier.

And then would it be better to consider a ships excursion?
That's a highly personal decision. This thread was started to help the folks that would like to venture to St. John without taking a ship's excursion, but many, many people, for a number of reasons, feel safer and/or more comfortable taking them. It may be a little reassuring to let people who are intimate with the arrangements handle them, but there is usually a price to be paid - in dollars, or in flexibility, or in the quality of the experience, or some combination of those.

Or would we have time to cab over to the other ferry terminal and catch the 9:00 am ferry?
If you are among the first ones to get off of the ship you more than likely would.

Would taking the 3PM back to CA cut too close for a 5 PM departure?
Most of the time I think that would be sufficient, but Anne's rule of thumb is to catch the ferry leaving Cruz Bay three hours before your ship is scheduled to leave, to give you some margin of error in case there are traffic or other issues that might delay you.

Do you know if Celebrity offers excursions like the previous poster mentioned from RCI?
No idea, sorry.

Also, we are avid snorklers and would love to go to a great snorkling beach. Perhaps better to do a snorkel excursion?
Great snorkeling beach is awfully subjective. On this board some will tell you that there are beaches on St. Thomas (which is obviously more convenient) that rival any of the ones you can get to on St. John. Some will tell you Trunk Bay is awesome and some will tell you that it is terrible. If I was visiting for one day from a cruise ship I'd probably opt to go to Cinnamon Bay - not as crowded as Trunk, better snorkeling usually (in my opinion, of course) and the only other beach on the north shore of St. John with a snack bar, restrooms, showers, etc.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great port call!

There will be my husband, myself and our 3 kids (10,6,1). I would love to see as much of the island as possible, but don't want to spend a fortune to do it! The taxi tour sounds great, but with the taxi to Red Hook, the cost of the ferry and then around the island and to Trunk how much do you think I'm looking at spending?

All prices listed are per person:

Ferry ticket - $12 round trip (your youngest, and possibly the 6 year old are free)

St. John taxi to the beaches - $12 round trip to Trunk; $14 roundtrip to Cinnamon; $25 for an island tour of about 3 hours.

Another question which might be a dumb one...is it possible to take another cruise lines shore excursion?
I seriously doubt it.

Renting a car is another option if it would work out cheaper, but I'm a little nervous about being on the other side of the road.
Getting used to driving on the wrong side of the road is no big deal - especially on St. John, where the speed limits are low and there's little to no traffic congestion. That being said, it would have it challenges (if not outright drawbacks). It might be hard to find a one day rental on St. John, especially if you're there during busy season (Middle December through April). You can rent from some companies on St. Thomas and that actually has some advantages, but it would entail driving across St. Thomas to Red Hook. I found the drive fun the first time I did it, but didn't have youngsters in tow. You'd need some additional directions since the car barge doesn't come in as the same place that the people ferry does. Renting a car does give you maximum flexibility as far as where to go, how long to stay, etc., but you're also a lot more "on your own". If you feel adventurous enough to go that route you'll probably have more fun than anyone else at your dining table!

I appreciate all your expert advice, and really would just like the best (and cheapest) way to see as much of the island while still being able to stop and relax/snorkel at some of the beaches.

Thanks!! :)

Have fun!

Thanks for the fast reply augie!

I just noticed that the day we will be in St. Thomas there will be 8 ships in port :eek:. Will this affect my plans?

I really don't want it to be chaotic...what should I expect?

Would you experienced cruisers recommend changing to a different sail date? I could go later in the month with only 4 other ships in port (and approx 10000 less people according to cruisett), but I'd have to add probably just over 200 bucks to what my initial total was. Would you switch your plans?

Thanks again for all your advice!

Edited by umieesa