Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

With eight ships in port I'd expect Charlotte Amalie to be very busy. That could impact the time it would take you to get to and from Red Hook, possibly significantly.

I would think the less crowded day would provide a better port experience, but only you can decide if it will be worth the extra cost you'll incur by switching sailing dates. Also consider that 5 ships in port, while obviously will mean less crowded conditions than 8, is still by no means a "light day".

Edited by augie

Thanks Augie for all the info!

I'm thinking with that many ships in port and the fact that I'd like to see as much as I can while I'm on the island that I'd like to incorporate a tour into my plans. After reading through all the pages in this thread I saw that many people mentioned just getting a tour from a taxi driver at cruz bay.

I know Hostanne mentioned that these are roughly $25/person, but do you know if this is just basically a stop at each place for photos? Or could I get the driver to stop at some of the beaches and wait for us, then get back in the cab drive to another spot (spend some time) and then stop for lunch (wait for us)?

I would like to include snorkel time and I'm still trying to figure out which beach would be best for that especially with 8 ships in port that day! My 10 year old has snorkelled before, but I would like a beach that my 6 year old could also give it a try. I know I've seen watermelon cay mentioned on here...is it worth stopping at?

Another question...I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but on stjohnislandtours.com they make a stop at Vie's Snack Shack. Has anyone eaten here? I'd really like to try a spot where the locals eat, and not a tourist trap.

While speaking of stjohnislandtours has anyone tried them, and if so do you think they're worth it? They told me children would be half price, so I'm wondering if going on their tour would be cheaper than hiring a taxi?

Sorry for all the questions :o...I'm a compulsive planner and just want to make sure I use my time efficiently ;)

Edited by umieesa

I know Hostanne mentioned that these are roughly $25/person, but do you know if this is just basically a stop at each place for photos? Or could I get the driver to stop at some of the beaches and wait for us, then get back in the cab drive to another spot (spend some time) and then stop for lunch (wait for us)?

I haven't done this, but I believe that they will either wait for you or at least come back and get you after an agreed upon amount of time.

I would like to include snorkel time and I'm still trying to figure out which beach would be best for that especially with 8 ships in port that day! My 10 year old has snorkelled before, but I would like a beach that my 6 year old could also give it a try. I know I've seen watermelon cay mentioned on here...is it worth stopping at?
Waterlemon Cay, which is in Leinster Bay is a great place to snorkel in my opinion. It will likely be much less crowded than any of the north shore beaches. The main attraction there, the cay itself, may be beyond the capabilities of your little ones since it involves a longish swim over deep water to get to. But there is some very interesting shallow water snorkeling in the bay there, especially just to the right of the little beach area in the corner of the bay.

Another question...I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but on stjohnislandtours.com they make a stop at Vie's Snack Shack. Has anyone eaten here? I'd really like to try a spot where the locals eat, and not a tourist trap.
Vie's is a great little place to eat. Only outdoor seating, and it's well off of the main tourist areas, being out towards the east end of the island. She even owns the land across the street from her snack shack and charges a small $2.50 maybe) fee for access to her beach, where you can use the lawn chairs there - even pull them up under the shade of the trees if they're not already there! The water is usually nice and calm there, it's an easy entrance, and there are some interesting things to see snorkeling nearby.

While speaking of stjohnislandtours has anyone tried them, and if so do you think they're worth it? They told me children would be half price, so I'm wondering if going on their tour would be cheaper than hiring a taxi?
Can't help you there - I know nothing about them, but it might be worth a phone call to see what their deal is.

Hi Augie:

Thanks so much for the advice. However, other people on our roll call say that we will dock at Havenstock(?) which is closer to the Red Hook ferry. We will be on the Celebrity Summit in port on Dec. 16. Do you know how to check on this. If we are closer to Red Hook then will DIY

Thanks so much for the advice. However, other people on our roll call say that we will dock at Havenstock(?) which is closer to the Red Hook ferry. We will be on the Celebrity Summit in port on Dec. 16. Do you know how to check on this. If we are closer to Red Hook then will DIY

There are two piers where the cruise ships dock, Havensight and Crown Bay. Havensight is the one that is closest to Charlotte Amalie/downtown, and yes, it is also closer to Red Hook than the Crown Bay pier is. Neither pier is what I'd consider to be close to Red Hook - from Havensight you're a 20-30 minute ride away, from Crown Bay another 10-15 minutes probably.

Hi everyone ~ sorry to be absent for a time. Too much real work! That's a good thing because it allows me to continue to cruise. ;) It's great to know that Augie is here to provide great info!

umieesa ~ You can likely arrange with a taxi driver on st. John to wait for you but you woul want to discuss this with them before you leave Cruz Bay. The safari taxis hold quite a few people 10 - 25. So they often like to fill their taxis for island tours. If you can find others from your roll call to join you, it would make this much easier. Yes, you can stop arrange for a beach/snorkel stop and the taxi driver will wait/come back for you.

The challenge with Waterlemon is that it is remote compared to the other north shore beaches. It takes longer to get here but will definitely be less crowded. I think it could be a challenge to include this on a regular island tour as I don't believe this isn't something safari taxis regularly do for island tours. Again, discussing this as an option with a taxi driver would be a good idea. As Augie mentioned, it is a ways from shore to the actual Cay. I've only been here via boat. Next time I'm going from shore!

Vie's is a great place to stop for lunch. Nothing touristy here. Her "Snack Shack" is literally that. A small wooden building in the front yard of her house. A couple of picnic tables and that's it. You order from a little window and they bring out the yummy garlic chicken. There isn't much else on the menu so be sure you like chicken. I love this place but don't think of it like a restaurant. It's like a little roadside stop. I've posted a photo of Vie. Again, this is probably a bit off the regular island tour schedule as Vie's is a bit beyond Coral Bay. You'd want to discuss with your taxi driver where you want to go. If you go out to Vie's and want to snorkel, there probably isn't a lot of time to stop and see other things. I tried to post a photo of Vie's beach but it must be too large as it won't upload. A very neat little stop.

I don't think there is anything on St. John that falls into the 'touristy' category. I often take folks for lunch at Shipwreck Landing in Coral Bay. It's an open air place (under roof) wooden structure, picnic type tables, too. Good lunch food and drinks and more of a restaurant. It might have more options for kids for lunch.

Narnia ~ sorry I missed your earlier post. If you are docking at Havensight, that is MUCH better. It is closer to Red Hook and you miss the 'downtown' Charlotte Amalie traffic getting to the ferry.

One thing I always like to point out to those considering the Charlotte Amalie ferry (you'd likely only consider this if you dock at Crown Bay) is that the ferry ride is twice as long as it is from Red Hook and it is almost alway far more of a choppy ride as you are in open seas. I opt for the longer taxi and shorter ferry ride of going to Red Hook. Besides, the Red Hook ferries are more consistent and dependable.

Hope everyone has a great day! let's hope the hurricanes continue to avoid St. John.

1446244349_St.John2011-(12).jpg.7f3359a89a6c2d72efd6f62545f8b5a5.jpg

The people ferries run until late at night (possibly midnight?), so that shouldn't be a concern for you.

Even with "rush hour" traffic, catching the 5:00 ferry should get you back to your ship in plenty of time for your 8:00 departure.

Just wondering...with so many ships in STT, is there ever a situation where the ferries to/from Red Hook during peak times fill-up & leave people behind who hope to catch that ferry?...thinking mostly of return around 2-3pm from CB to Red Hook...thanks

Tanmanny ~ I have never heard of people being left behind because of a full ferry. The ferries are large and carry a lot of people. That said, we are always at the ferry dock at least 15 minutes prior to the ferry departure just to make sure we get on the ferry we want.

We are taking a trip to St. Thomas for a week, and I will be playing while the spouse is working. :D

Therefore, I'll be touring alone - are there any beach lockers for personal belongings? We will have a rental car, would it be easier to take a car ferry?

flamingos ~ I thought there were some lockers at Cinnamon but my family is not recalling any. I checked the national parks website and it doesn't make any mention of lockers. Let me see if I can do some digging. Augie, do you know?

When we go to the beach, I take a water wallet with the handful of valuables I don't want to leave on the beach - cash, credit card, ID. I put the water wallet around my neck when I snorkel or swim. I don't take any other valuables with me to the beach unless I'm with a group of people. Other than that, I take a book, hat, suntan lotion and a towel. I purhcase food at the snack bars found at Trunk and Cinnamon or pack a small lunch (sandwich and fruit) in a smal insulated cooler before leaving the villa. I don't worry about these items on the beach.

As for taking your car on the car ferry, be sure your rental company permits this (some do, some don't). If you are comforable driving on St. Thomas, you'll be fine driving on St. John. Far fewer vehicals and traffic on St. John. Is it easier to take the car ferry? I don't know as we've never done it.

According to this, http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Cinnamon%20Bay.htm , there are lockers available. I thought I remembered seeing them, but wasn't sure.

The car ferry isn't hard to do, but if you're going alone, and only plan on going to a beach that you can get to by taxi, it may be cheaper to just take the people ferry. Last trip the car barge cost us $30 each way.

Driving on STJ is easy, and having a vehicle expands your options, so you'll need to consider what you plan to do with your day.

flamingos ~ yes the water wallets are waterproof. I've never had mine leak. There are a variety of kinds. They usually sell them on the ship but Cruise Critic sells them to. Here's the one I use:

Cruise Critic version (the ships usually sell this with their logo)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=26

This one is similar to my waterproof bag I use for my camera equiment

http://www.waterproofcases.net/dry-pak-dp44-waterproof-wallet.html

Thanks Augie for the locker info. I thought Cinnamon had them but couldn't find it on the National Park website.

• 2 weeks later...

First - apologies - this thread is very helpful, (thanks so much!) but has become so long...the information being requested here may be included back a number of pages, but I'll ask anyway -

At Cinnamon Bay:

1. It looks as if the taxis would drop off/pick up people on the North Shore Rd. and then beach goers would walk by the campground General Store complex to the beach. Correct?

2. Does the Campground General Store have soft drinks/bottled water for sale? If not, are the restaurant staff members amenable to selling beverages to take out to the beach? Is it possible to get beer to take out?

3. After some time at the beach, are the shower facilities open to anyone who is using the beach?

Thanks.

I can not respond for Cinammon Bay, but at Trunk Bay you are dropped off by the taxis and you pay your $4 admission to the National Park and yes you do walk to the beach, it is not a strenuous walk at all, quite pleasant.

Trunk Bay has a refreshment stand where they sell beverages and burgers, we did not utilize, as we were on the beach EARLY and we headed back to the ship around 2:30 pm...BUT swimming, sun sand and surf definitely make a person hungry as does being on vacation in general.

Susan

Edited by Hogladyrider
spelling

At Cinnamon Bay:

1. It looks as if the taxis would drop off/pick up people on the North Shore Rd. and then beach goers would walk by the campground General Store complex to the beach. Correct?

I'm not that familiar with the campground facilities, but on your way to the beach from the parking lot, you do pass by the place where concessions are sold.

2. Does the Campground General Store have soft drinks/bottled water for sale? If not, are the restaurant staff members amenable to selling beverages to take out to the beach? Is it possible to get beer to take out?
Soft drinks and water, absolutely. I don't know if they have alcoholic beverages for sale there, but would guess that they do. You could always bring some with you in a soft sided cooler, but if you do, get cans instead of bottles.

3. After some time at the beach, are the shower facilities open to anyone who is using the beach?
Yes, anyone can use them.

I'm not that familiar with the campground facilities, but on your way to the beach from the parking lot, you do pass by the place where concessions are sold.

Soft drinks and water, absolutely. I don't know if they have alcoholic beverages for sale there, but would guess that they do. You could always bring some with you in a soft sided cooler, but if you do, get cans instead of bottles.

Yes, anyone can use them.

Thanks, Augie, for the info!

I posted this in a new thread, but it has not been answered. Perhaps someone here can?

I have read on the CC boards that island tours of St. John are readily available at the ferry dock in Cruz Bay ($25 pp for 2 or more). Does anyone have a recommendation on a good guide or is it simply "the luck of the draw?" Are there some sites we should specifically ask to see?

At the end of the tour, we would like to be dropped off at Cinnamon Bay for some beach time. Is it best to pick up beverages (specifically beer) at Cruz Bay before heading out on the island tour or are there places along the tour?

Thanks.

Edited by OctCruzer

I just wanted to take time to thank Host Anne and Augie for their great input to this thread and the responses to my specific questions on going over to St John for the day.

Even though I'd been over there on a day trip while on a OI (on island) vacation, I'd never been off a cruise ship.

We were on Carnival Freedom two weeks ago and had a blast.

Our ship arrived in STT at 7am. The ship didn't announce we could get off but we went ahead and went down to deck 0 about 7:30am. We were first off the ship. Walked straight out of the security gates towards the end of the Havensight Mall. There was a Jitney cab going to Redhook with only four persons in it and I asked the driver how long? He said we'd be leaving in a few minutes. Cool! And he did. The four of us got in and we were off without waiting for it to be full.

We arrived in Redhook at 3 minutes till 8am. Ran into the ferry port and I hollered at the gate attendant if we could make the ferry. Yep, got our tics and ran onboard. We were the first and only cruisers on the ferry.

We arrived in Cruz Bay about 15 minutes later and it was very quite. Very, very few people about. Too early.

Made our way over to Delbert Hill car rental and we were off in about 30 minutes. Stopped to fill the car with gas and headed off on the North Shore Dr to stop at all the bays on the way to Coral Bay and Skinny Legs.

Also, arriving that early there were no cabs or tour guides around that we saw. When we arrived at Trunk Bay there were several jitneys and their drivers hanging out there?

Had a GREAT day and here are a few videos.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately the Mafolie hotel in STT was closed during the day for renovations. But if you ever want to have a relaxing cocktail with an excellent view of Charlotte Amalie, go up to the Mafolie

Edited by mdrobtx

Thanks Anne! I haven't been on this thread for a while and only saw your response now.

Well, I switched dates, so now we will be (supposedly) the only ship in port! :D

Since I do want to make sure we snorkel do you suggest I leave that until later if I want to do an island tour? Should we tour first then be dropped off at Trunk Bay? Our ship arrives at 7am and we're there until 4.

I'm also looking for the cheapest way to do everything I want ;)

StJohnIslandTours quoted me $90 for their 3 hour tour for all of us. Is this worth it in your opinion? Or would I be better off arranging with a taxi on the day of?

Thanks again!!

Hi all ~ I apologize for the long delay in responses. We've been on the road for work (including 9 days in Europe where my computer crashed) so my time on line was very limited.

OctCruzer ~ at Cinnamon you are dropped off in a parking lot, not on the road. Your description is correct. You walk down what I'd consider a short path to the beach. On the way, you pass the restrooms/showers, concession stand/store and the campground (campsites are on your left and right). As Augie mentioned, anyone can use the shower facilities. I do not believe they sell alcohol. We packed a cooler with water, soft drinks and beer from our villa the last time we were there). You can take everything down to the beach. It's a very short walk.

As for "tour guides" in Cruz Bay, I have a guy I've used over the years because we are there so much on cruises with groups but in all honesty, it's probably easiest to get off the ferry and go with any driver. These guys are pros. They all know the island like the back of their hand. They are all friendly and knowledgable and they pretty much all take you to the same places. It's very laid back and I think any driver can give you a great tour of the island.

mdrobtx ~ great to see you back! You are most welcome for all the info. Hope it was helpful. How lucky you were to make the 8:00 AM ferry. That's not easy to do. I'm off to look at your videos and wish I were back there.

umieesa ~ With being the only ship in port, it won't matter which you do first because Trunk won't be that crowded. I'd probably do the tour first and snorkel second so you aren't wet and sandy when you do your tour. You could save about $15 by going with one of the safari taxi drivers when you get off the ferry over St. John Island Tours (I've never heard of them....will they give you a "private" vehicle for hte $90). That might be worth it if you are the only 3 in the vehicle and can go where you want instead of being with 15 others in a taxi). Let me know if you have more questions.