Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

Host Anne, great pictures! Thanks for sharing! We will be in St. Thomas on Thanksgiving Day this November. Have you visited the island during a holiday? We are concerned with the ferry to St. Johns. We may not chance it and do a ships excursion.

East Coaster ~ We haven't been on the island for a winter (Thanksgiving/Christmas) holiday but I believe the ferries operate 365 days a year. If you are nervous, call the ferry service to confirm: Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412. It's worth the trip!

Host Anne - thanks for sharing the St. John photos as well as the links for Alaska and photos, I enjoyed them tremendously.

St. John looks like a place to totally relax and enjoy the beauty for a week....hhhhmmmmm another vacation option to explore, but I'd miss the room service and dinner service but will consider it for the location.

Susan

East Coaster ~ We haven't been on the island for a winter (Thanksgiving/Christmas) holiday but I believe the ferries operate 365 days a year. If you are nervous, call the ferry service to confirm: Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412. It's worth the trip!

Thanks, I will contact them! Of all the times we have been to St. Thomas we've never gone to St. Johns. Look forward to seeing it in person, lol!

Susan ~ St. John is DEFINITELY a place to relax and unwind for a week. While there isn't room service unless you are at one of the resorts, I'm OK with that. There are plenty of wonderful little, laid back restaurants and making breakfast whenever we get up isn't too tough. The scenery is mesmerizing for me. It's some place I'll keep going back to again and again. Renting a villa here for a week is pretty reasonable off season. Glad you enjoyed the photos! :)

East Coaster ~ it really is worth the trip. Hope you make it!

And for anyone interested, here's a link to our photos from St. John last year: http://stjohntrip2009.shutterfly.com/26

Great pictures Anne!

Our trip last month was much wetter than yours was..

We didn't take a lot of topside pictures because it was cloudy most of the time, and there were no sunsets to be seen all week. :mad:

We did spend a lot of time in the water however, and got some decent snorkeling pictures. When I get them arranged and on line I'll post a link.

In the meantime, I have a series of trip report posts on that VI forum where you can see a sampling of them if you're interested.

Adeste looks nice - is the road up to it very far past Skinny Leg's?

I've heard that The Indians is an awesome snorkel site - after seeing your pictures from there it's definitely on my list!

Host Anne; after reading this entire post I am so ready to spend a week on St. John's where did you stay or can you suggest where to stay on the island and if you do not mind me asking what is the cost for a weeks stay there?

So what is the whole trip from St. Thomas Havensight to Trunk Bay in minutes or hours? Thanks!

It will vary some depending on how crowded it is, what time of day, etc. But I'd say an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half would normally get you from Havensight to Trunk Bay.

Jersey ~ Augie's right on about the time. It's well worth the time! Please have a cheesesteak for me!

Gail ~ your options for staying on St. John for the week are endless. We've stayed on the island three different times and I think Augie has stayed many more. We've come to enjoy the east end (Coral Bay) more just because it has less people, is more quiet, more relaxed (if that's possible on St. John). Rates for villas vary by time of year and location. Coral Bay tends to be less expensive than Cruz Bay and I prefer the north and east sides of the island over Cruz Bay and the south side of the island. The great beaches are primarily on the north shore (one after another). When we begin our search, I start with vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner) and googling St. John Villa Rentals. I also read a lot of reviews but don't consider one great review or one bad one as a deal breaker. I look for good balance.

Remember, if you stay here, you almost must rent a car and they do drive ont he opposite side of the road so you have to be comfortable with that (or someone in your party does). It's not that tough....just requires some concentration. It's well worth it though. Between cruising and visits to St. John, I'm set forever!

Augie ~ I'd love to see your snorkeling photos. The Indians are wonderful. Bubba the baracuda was a favorite of everyones (I'm pretty sure that's where he resides). I'll check out your reviews as well. Since I have been busy with our Alaska cruise, I haven't had much time to think about the St. John trip but I will. Yes, Adeste is on the hillside above Skinny Legs. You make a left at the fire station and go up the hill. It's a wonderful villa. We only chose a different location next year because we have more people joining us.

NosmothJ ~ here's the info

Taxi Cruise terminal to Red Hook Bay..........$10

Ferry to St Johns.......................................$6

Taxi to Trunk Bat......................................$6

Pricing is from Havensight. Add a few extra dollars if you are starting at Crown Bay.

Hoglady ~ Here's two links. One to my review; the other to my photos from Alaska. ENJOY!

REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1247854

PHOTOS: http://alaskasailawayforacure2010.shutterfly.com/

ENJOY!

Anne

Thanks so much for the info. Going to be there in October and will definitely go to St John. One question though.

If the Haversight ferry terminal is walking distance from where the Carnival Liberty will dock what is the point of taking a ferry to Red Hook? Avoids the afternoon traffic jam so we could if we want leave St John at 4 if we wish for 6 pm ship departure very comfortably.

Stu

We stayed at Blue Agave in March with our kids and my in-laws for spring break. Beautiful views of Chocolate Hole. We could see STX, STT and PR from our deck. We watched the cruise ships enter STT each morning and leave each evening. Now we have our first cruise in 9 days!

STJ is very slow paced, similar to our favorite, Jost Van Dyke.

Golfadj ~ I think we may have confused you. There is no ferry terminal at Havensight. You must go to Red Hook (by taxi) to catch the ferry. There is also a ferry from downtown Charlotte Amalie (you also have to take a taxi there....you can walk, but it's a long walk). The ferry only leaves from Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie, not Havensight.

I would not be comfortable taking the 4:00 PM ferry for a ship that leaves at 6:00 PM. Too tight for my comfort zone and the ships ask you to be back onboard 30 minutes before sailing. You might be fine but it wouldn't take much to happen to miss the ship.

Golfadj ~ I think we may have confused you. There is no ferry terminal at Havensight. You must go to Red Hook (by taxi) to catch the ferry. There is also a ferry from downtown Charlotte Amalie (you also have to take a taxi there....you can walk, but it's a long walk). The ferry only leaves from Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie, not Havensight.

I would not be comfortable taking the 4:00 PM ferry for a ship that leaves at 6:00 PM. Too tight for my comfort zone and the ships ask you to be back onboard 30 minutes before sailing. You might be fine but it wouldn't take much to happen to miss the ship.

Anne

Thanks for the info. We have walked from downtown Charlotte Amalie back to the ship but it is about 1 1/2 miles and after a long day at the beach not something we would do.

Now that we will need to take a cab back 3 pm is my comrfort zone.

Thanks so much for your help.

Stu

Stu ~ you are most welcome...and 3:00 PM is a great idea to ensure a comfortable, non-worried return :). I do have to admit, though, if I was ever to miss a ship, this is one place I'd be completely comfortable doing it. I'd be back on the ferry to St. John in a heartbeat! Enjoy your cruise!

I've read this entire thread, but yet I still have questions!

We are on St. Thomas on August 31st on the Oasis, from 9am to 6pm. The Dream will also be in port on that day. We are going to try to make the 10:00 ferry, but if we miss it, and need to get the 11:00, in your opinion, will we have enough time to go to either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay, (or both)? How far are these beaches from one another?

Thanks for your help!:)

As long as the Oasis disembarks fairly quickly (I haven't been reading reviews on how it goes in St. Thomas but you can find out pretty quickly on the RCCL board) you have a good chance of making the 10:00 ferry. It's about a 30 minute ride from Crown Bay where you'll dock, give or take a few minutes for traffic.

If you have to wait for the 11:00 ferry, that puts you into Cruz Bay about 11:20 and into a taxi by 11:30. You can be at Trunk Bay in about 15 minutes. Cinnamon is only a five minute ride from Trunk, if that. I don't think I'd try to do both as you wouldn't have much time at either of them. Pick one or the other. With Oasis and Dream in port, I'd probably go for Cinnamon myself. If you go to Trunk, once you get on the beach, I'd head to the very left and get away from the crowds. Haven't been there when Oasis was in but I've read Trunk gets very crowded.

For me, it would be worth the trip. Hope this helps!

Yes, it does help, thanks! I think we will try Cinnamon Bay, since we were at Trunk Bay two years ago with almost nobody there, and I'd hate to ruin that memory!

Can you walk along the beach at Cinnamon further than at Trunk Bay? I can't tell by looking at the map. Thank you once again!

Cinnamon is longer for walking than Trunk not a whole bunch but definitely longer. Giving it a try is a good idea on a day when Trunk will likely be packed. You'll enjoy Cinnamon, too. My favorite spot, although there are no facilities, is Maho. Just spectacular! It's the next main beach after Cinnamon. Get your cabbie to stop there for some photos! :) ENJOY!