Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

We arrive in St Thomas at 12pm and the ship leaves at 8pm.

Should we go to St Johns (Really would like to).

Should you go to St. John? Absolutely! Your late arrival will likely mean that the rush for taxis to the ferry will be over by the time you're ready, and most of the folks on the beaches on St. John will have left or be leaving as you're getting there.

Californian ~ we've rented entire safari taxis five or six times when our group was big enough. Safaris can seat anywhere from 8 to 20+. You can negotiate when you arrive but the larger taxis typically went for $250 - $300 per day. If you fill a larger one that holds 20, it can be as little as $15 per person plus tip. When we did a smaller one last year (there were 12 of us), we paid $30 per person.

I suggest a route similar to what Augie suggested. Head north out of town and take in the scenic overlooks of the North Shore. Stop at the Annaberg Ruins (it's an uphill walk to get to the best vistas but it's not a bad uphill). Then head to Coral Bay for lunch. I just love it here....quiet and oh so pretty. We typically go to Shipwreck Landing but there are a couple of other places to eat out there as well. Be sure to tell your driver you want to stop at the Chateux Bordeuax Mountain overlook. It's a restaurant that has an outdoor deck that used to be open for lunch (burgers and blender drinks). It was closed for lunch for a long time but I think I just read it re-opened. Regardless, stop here and take in the view. It is my favorite view anywhere! It is majestic!

By the time you do all of that, you may have a little time left to head back into Cruz Bay for some walking around town, Mongoose Junction is fun (I always find something to take home from here) and there are plenty of places for an afternoon drink before getting back on the ferry.

:-) ENJOY!

nsj ~ as Augie says ... ABSOLUTELY go! Your timing is such that you will miss the morning crowds! It's heaven!

Thanks for all the good info here. Trying to decide if it is just as easy to take shore excursion, St. John National Park Island Tour on Carnival Dream. My only real interest to not take is that it seems they want you to leave for St. Thomas from Cruz Bay as soon as you come back from touring St. John. Can anyone comment on that fact. I know it would cost me the ferry ride back, after paying for excursion, but figure its the way to stay longer if I go the route of excursion. I usually enjoy planning my way around , but not knowing the island and having to work on "island time" figure it's the least stressfull way at the moment. My question is , has anyone taken this tour, if so please share your thoughts and also looking at the detail on carnival.com it appears you take a ferry from the cruise terminal. I think I got it clear about the two public ferry locations you have to catch a taxi too. Does anyone know or is it possible that taking the cruise excursion, you take a "private" ferry from the WICO location pier? Thanks

mkw ~ you may get more people to resopnd to your questions if you posted them on the Carnival board since you are asking about a specific Carnival excursion. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the excursion though Carnival so I can't provide any insight. I hope you have a good time no matter what you decide!

THAT is not nice, Augie!!!! In 29 days I'll be leaving for a trade show in Atlanta. Not quite the same!!!! But I do appreciate the offer. I'd much rather be on St. John!

Edited by Host Anne

We were in St Thomas Sept 14th....one thing to be aware of, there is major road construction being conducted on the road from the cruise terminal to Red Hook ferry, so allow extra time for delays.

We had no problem on our way to Red Hook in the morning because we were on the road before the crews started working, however on our return taxi ride it was stop and go traffic many times. We took the 2 pm ferry back from St John to Red Hook and traffic and construction was HEAVY.

Also keep in mind that traffic is heavy in St Thomas pre working hours and from 5 pm on and I mean HEAVY!

Our day on St John at Trunk Bay was magical it was like heaven on earth! We can't wait to go back and explore more of the island.

Susan

If construction delays, or heavy traffic, how much time should one allow between Red Hook and getting back to the Ship?

Which taxi to take from the Ship to the ferry at Red Hook? I've read that to get to St. John, we need to take a taxi to Red Hook to catch the ferry over to St. John. Regarding the taxi from the Ship, I think I've read that these are taxi vehicles that can accomodate quite a few passengers. Therefore, I assume that before a taxi departs, the driver will want to fill up with as many passengers a possible. Since passengers disembarking from the Ship will be wanting to go to various destinations in St. Thomas, including Red Hook for the ferry, where do I locate the taxi vehicle loading up with people going to Red Hook? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help received here in planning our trip to St John.

Unfortunately we were in St Thomas last week and had a rainy day so we decided to just go to town. No point in getting seasick going to St John.

Just have to do this again.icon7.gif

Unfortunately we were in St Thomas last week and had a rainy day so we decided to just go to town. No point in getting seasick going to St John.

.icon7.gif

Sea sick? Is the crossing to St. John that bad? I've never been, but plan to hopefully go in November, and I do get sea sick. How bad is it? Thanks!

Sea sick? Is the crossing to St. John that bad? I've never been, but plan to hopefully go in November, and I do get sea sick. How bad is it? Thanks!

It is normally a very benign crossing - the weather last week was abnormal, to say the least.

The crossing from Red Hook to Cruz Bay is typically quite calm. The rough ride can often be from Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas to Cruz Bay, St. John. A much longer ride in open seas.

Augie ~ in case I don't get back here....have a fabulous time!

The crossing from Red Hook to Cruz Bay is typically quite calm. The rough ride can often be from Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas to Cruz Bay, St. John. A much longer ride in open seas.

Augie ~ in case I don't get back here....have a fabulous time!

After reading ALL these posts, I am even more excited about venturing on our own.

Just want to clarify one uncertainty..... We are docking at Charlotte Amalie from 7:00 - 5:00.

? should we take the taxi to Red Hook for the ferry instead of ferry from CA ?? It sounds like the extra taxi ride time is better than the longer ferry ride. Correct?

I'm responsible for planning a trip to St John for a group of 10. We are in port from 10-6 on the Liberty, so I believe we are docked at Heavensight? If so, My plan is take the Redhook, hopefully the 11:00am. For the return, it looks like the 3:45 to CA is a better option. That way we don't have to spend another $90.00 in taxi fare to get back. My main question is how far is the CA ferry dock from the cruise dock? Is it walking distance, if not how much for a cab for the 10 of us? Second, does everything else make sense? Thanks! I'm nervous about this one mainly because of the 5:00pm trafic etc. We get stressed about missing the ship! Thanks!

We will be on the Ruby Princess arriving at Crown Bay at 7 am and departing at 4 pm and want to spend as much time as we can at Trunk Bay. Do you think it is possible to catch the 8 am Red Hook ferry from Crown Bay? I'm not sure if there is a delay with immigration for this port or how much time it will take by taxi to get there from Crown Bay. Should I plan on the 9 am ferry instead?

Based on earlier posts, looks like we should take the 1 pm ferry back to Red Hook, right?

Thanks for all the GREAT info posted here. It is much appreciated! We've been to Trunk Bay a few years ago and I think it is one of the most gorgeous beaches I've seen.

There are two docks in St. Thomas. Most ships dock at Havensight (see map below....sorry it's not super clear). Havensight is on the right side of the map. Others dock at Crown Bay. You'll see Crown Bay on the left side of the map. Charlotte Amalie is the town you'll see in the middle of the map. Red Hook is on the far right side of the map.

Looking forward, just to make sure there isn't any confusion, you are either docking at Havensight or Crown Bay, not Charlotte Amalie. Charlotte Amalie is one of the spots you can catch a ferry to St. John. Red Hook is the other. If you are docking at Crown Bay, the Charlotte Amalie ferry is closer but it normally is a very rough ride in open seas to get to St. John. I personally prefer the longer taxi ride to Red Hook and taking the shorter ferry ride. The 15 - 20 minute ferry ride from Red Hook is almost always smooth and even if it's not, it's less than half the time of taking the Charlotte Amalie ferry. You are arriving early enough that if you are in Crown Bay and off the ship quickly, you can beat much of the crowds to St. John. Tell me what ship you are on and I'll check to see where you are docking.

Melismass ~ it is a long walk from downtown Charlotte Amalie back to your ship in Havensight. You can do it (we have) but be forwarned, it's a 25 - 30 minute walk. Keep in mind that the ferry ride to Charlotte Amalie is $12 per person so that's $6 more than the ferry to Red Hook. So your savings per person overall is just $4. I also read that the Charlotte Amalie ferry is currently running on half schedule and they recommend calling for what times the ferry is operating. The number is (340) 776-6282.

Calif ~ is St. Thomas your first port of call? If so, chances are very good you'll make the 8:00AM ferry because there is no need for immigration if you haven't left a foreign port. If you are off the ship quickly, you will probably make it. It's probably a 35 minute taxi ride from Crown Bay at that time of the morning. As long as you are there by 7:50, you'll be fine. If you get to Red Hook and miss the ferry, there are places to grab coffee and little stores where you can kill some time. I'd try my best to make the 8:00 AM ferry. It's so tranquil early in the morning at Trunk Bay before everyone else arrives. I would take the 1:00 PM ferry back since you are at Crown Bay. Better safe than sorry. I absolutely agree that Trunk Bay is one of the prettiest places there is.

ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

1392264992_St.ThomasIslandMap.jpg.5e35fdf18273af1f90e18bcda445d1ac.jpg

Thanks, Host Anne! We are on the Ruby Princess and I believe Princess usually will use Crown Bay dock. We are in St Maarten the day before so think we may have immigration to deal with. Prefer to take Red Hook as DH is prone to motion sickness so want to have smooth ride to St John(plus will give him bonine too).

Nice to know it is approx 35 minute taxi plus allow 10 minutes to get tickets. Any idea what it should cost for taxi? We will probably be eight people so plan on getting two taxis or a van.

When return from 1 pm ferry do you think there will be taxis ready to get us back to ship or should we arrange to have driver from the am trip come back for us?

Thank you so much for your help!! Love your photo on aviator!!

Melis ~ happy to help.

Calif Cruisers ~ unfortunately, I believe you will have to wait for immigration. I don't know if you will have to appear with your passports but I'm pretty sure foreign guests will. They are usually called to a theater and I don't recall this process taking a long time in St. Thomas, but you never know. Looks like the cost of a taxi from Crown Bay to Red Hook runs about $11 or $12 if you have more than one person. Most taxis are open air so all eight of you can go together. There are plenty of taxis available at Red Hook when you return from St. John, but we often arrange for our taxi to return and get us because they will usually discount the return taxi fare. You have to walk across the street to meet them, though as Red Hook has it's own taxi assocation and the taxis that bring you from the ferry can drop off but now pick up inside the ferry dock parking lot. Do whatever makes you more comfortable. There will be plenty of taxis everywhere you go...at your ship, at the Red Hook and Cruz Bay docks, etc.

By the way, the good thing is Ruby Princess is the ONLY ship in St. Thomas on Oct. 28. Lucky you! You won't have to fight the myriad of other ships and their passengers for taxis, ferries or Trunk Bay. Should be a perfect day. Also, it won't take ten minutes to buy your ferry ticket but I like to be there at least ten minutes early so we can buy our tickets and board the ferry :-) Be sure to buy your ticket to and from St. John in Red Hook. Saves you time on the return.

ENJOY!

Crown Bay DockRed Hook$15 $11 31 min.