Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

There are two docks in St. Thomas. Most ships dock at Havensight (see map below....sorry it's not super clear). Havensight is on the right side of the map. Others dock at Crown Bay. You'll see Crown Bay on the left side of the map. Charlotte Amalie is the town you'll see in the middle of the map. Red Hook is on the far right side of the map.

Looking forward, just to make sure there isn't any confusion, you are either docking at Havensight or Crown Bay, not Charlotte Amalie. Charlotte Amalie is one of the spots you can catch a ferry to St. John. Red Hook is the other. If you are docking at Crown Bay, the Charlotte Amalie ferry is closer but it normally is a very rough ride in open seas to get to St. John. I personally prefer the longer taxi ride to Red Hook and taking the shorter ferry ride. The 15 - 20 minute ferry ride from Red Hook is almost always smooth and even if it's not, it's less than half the time of taking the Charlotte Amalie ferry. You are arriving early enough that if you are in Crown Bay and off the ship quickly, you can beat much of the crowds to St. John. Tell me what ship you are on and I'll check to see where you are docking.

sorry, I wondered why people were referring to the other dock as Crown Bay...LOL

We are on the RC Enchantment - October 25th - 7:00am - 5:00pm.

I will take your advice and go for the Red Hook ferry ride.

Thanks for your reply as to where we will be docking!

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate the poster that said something to the effect "enjoy the whole experience, not just St. John." I think I am going to stay in St. Thomas (Eurodam docks at Crown Bay) and just enjoy some down time. It sounds like getting/returning to and from St. John could be a little stressful and rushed (for me). I don't want to be on any schedule while I am there. But if I change my mind I know what to do now.

Melis ~ happy to help.

Calif Cruisers ~ unfortunately, I believe you will have to wait for immigration. I don't know if you will have to appear with your passports but I'm pretty sure foreign guests will. They are usually called to a theater and I don't recall this process taking a long time in St. Thomas, but you never know. Looks like the cost of a taxi from Crown Bay to Red Hook runs about $11 or $12 if you have more than one person. Most taxis are open air so all eight of you can go together. There are plenty of taxis available at Red Hook when you return from St. John, but we often arrange for our taxi to return and get us because they will usually discount the return taxi fare. You have to walk across the street to meet them, though as Red Hook has it's own taxi assocation and the taxis that bring you from the ferry can drop off but now pick up inside the ferry dock parking lot. Do whatever makes you more comfortable. There will be plenty of taxis everywhere you go...at your ship, at the Red Hook and Cruz Bay docks, etc.

By the way, the good thing is Ruby Princess is the ONLY ship in St. Thomas on Oct. 28. Lucky you! You won't have to fight the myriad of other ships and their passengers for taxis, ferries or Trunk Bay. Should be a perfect day. Also, it won't take ten minutes to buy your ferry ticket but I like to be there at least ten minutes early so we can buy our tickets and board the ferry :-) Be sure to buy your ticket to and from St. John in Red Hook. Saves you time on the return.

ENJOY!

Crown Bay DockRed Hook$15 $11 31 min.

Host Anne...can you please tell me which dock the Oasis uses? And how many ships will be in St. Thomas on Tues. Oct. 26?

This thread is helping us plan our beach day in St. John. Many thanks! :cool:

Trudy

Looking Forward ~ Enchantment docks at Havensight. That's a good thing!

Cy'all ~ unfortunately, Oasis docks at Crown Bay so you are a bit futher away. Also, you have lots of company....here's the rundown:

Carnival Dream Havensight

Emerald Princess Havensight

Liberty Havensight

Norwegian Sun Crown Bay

Oasis of the Seas Crown Bay

Have a fantastic time! Wishing perfect weather for all!

Host Anne or Augie,

I'm surprising my DH with a 50th birthday cruise and booked the Carnival Victory the week of Jan. 9, 2011. St. Thomas is our first port of call. I've been to St. Thomas several times and my DH has been there once before. I was never that thrilled with St. Thomas; so, I'd really like to take the trip over to St. John. My husband and I both snorkel, albeit it's been several years since we've had an opportunity to do so. My husband is a very strong swimmer, but I'm not. I know my husband enjoyed snorkeling over at Sapphire Beach on our last visit to St. Thomas, as there was quite a lot of sea life the day we were there; but, from reading all the posts here, it sounds like either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon would be way better. Can you confirm that, so I can use your expert opinions as leverage to convince him to go to St. John? Our ship docks at 7am and is departing at 5pm. If we can get off the ship in time for the 8am ferry (or even the 9am), then I'm thinking I'd like to take a taxi to Cinnamon, spend about 60-90 mins. there and then head over to Trunk Bay for a bit and then catch the 2pm ferry back. Does that seem reasonable or is visiting the two beaches too much?

I'm surprising my DH with a 50th birthday cruise and booked the Carnival Victory the week of Jan. 9, 2011. St. Thomas is our first port of call. I've been to St. Thomas several times and my DH has been there once before. I was never that thrilled with St. Thomas; so, I'd really like to take the trip over to St. John. My husband and I both snorkel, albeit it's been several years since we've had an opportunity to do so. My husband is a very strong swimmer, but I'm not. I know my husband enjoyed snorkeling over at Sapphire Beach on our last visit to St. Thomas, as there was quite a lot of sea life the day we were there; but, from reading all the posts here, it sounds like either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon would be way better. Can you confirm that, so I can use your expert opinions as leverage to convince him to go to St. John? Our ship docks at 7am and is departing at 5pm. If we can get off the ship in time for the 8am ferry (or even the 9am), then I'm thinking I'd like to take a taxi to Cinnamon, spend about 60-90 mins. there and then head over to Trunk Bay for a bit and then catch the 2pm ferry back. Does that seem reasonable or is visiting the two beaches too much?

I think you can do that with no problem. If you catch the early ferry you should be at Cinnamon by 9:00 or a little later. You may even have time to either stay longer at Trunk and eat or grab a bite for lunch in Cruz Bay before you catch the ferry. Sounds like your DH is in store for a great 50th birthday! Have fun!

Disclaimer: I've never snorkeled at Sapphire, but have at Trunk many times and at Cinnamon also. Walk down to the right at Cinnamon and follow the reef line out to the cay - only thing is you may not be too impressed with Trunk after that!

Edited by augie

Great, Augie, thanks for the info! Really looking forward to our trip. St. John looks absolutely gorgeous!

Sun Chick - We were on the same cruise this past July. Even though we were tied up on the dock at 7:00 the ship didn't clear until about 7:20. We could not make it to Red Hook for the 8:00 a.m. ferrry. Just shoot for the 9:00 a.m. ferry and you will be fine.

Hurry&Wait, thanks for the info. I thought I was being a bit optimistic thinking we could make the 8am ferry. Since you just did this cruise recently, is there anything at any of the ports you'd recommend....or, on the other hand, is there anything you suggest we avoid? Thanks.

When snorkeling from St. John, where does one store towel, dry clothes, money, etc., while in the water to keep belongings safe?

That's an important question. Almost all of the time, you'd be just fine leaving your stuff on your towel, right there on the beach. But the fact that it's usually OK doesn't help the unfortunate victims on the rare occasions when it wasn't "OK".

If there are a lot of people on the beach, you may be able to get someone that's "camped" nearby where you are to agree to watch your stuff for you while you're in the water. You might even be able to offer a "quid pro quo" arrangement where you'll take turns watching each other's stuff. That would probably work best if it's with someone you may have already met on the ship, or on the way over, etc.

Even then you're taking some risk that they may be dishonest enough to take something of yours, or they could get tired of waiting, have an emergency, whatever.

When we were cruising alone I'd make a distinction between things that would be inconvenient to have taken (dry clothes for example) and things that would be disastrous to have taken (cash, credit cards, ship boarding pass) - basically anything that could keep you from getting back to/on board the ship.

I use those water wallets - little plastic waterproof boxes that you see a lot of people wearing around their necks. Figure out beforehand how you will carry them in the water (I'd suggest that you don't just put them unsecured in the pocket of a pair of swim trunks!) and go off and snorkel (mostly) worry free.

For the "less important" stuff you will need to use one of the methods listed above and hope that you don't end up being in the unfortunate minority.

mkw ~ you may get more people to resopnd to your questions if you posted them on the Carnival board since you are asking about a specific Carnival excursion. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the excursion though Carnival so I can't provide any insight. I hope you have a good time no matter what you decide!

Hi Anne: Do you have any thoughts on touring the sugar plantations? We aren't beach goers but would love to see other sights. We'll be in St. T in December and plan to spend the day in St. J thanks to all of the great info you've posted. Thanks!

Is it true you can grab a tour from a taxi after arriving in St. John? Are they good, how long do they last? Is there time to go to the beach for snorkleing before catching the ferry back to St. Thomas? Was figuring on returning back to St. Thomas on maybe the 1 PM ferry, or 2 PM at the latest.

Thanks.

First time to the USVI

I couldnt get the cabins I wanted on the cruise this year so we decided to do a land vacation (4 adults). We are staying in a Villa (Infinity) in St John from 10/29/10 - 11/6/10. What are your favorite places to eat, and what places are not to be missed?

What is a $12 season pass at Trunk Bay, does it get you to all of the park trails/beaches? I was thinking about purchasing the yearly pass for $80 through the parks when we arrive, but $12 is a lot less :).

What is the best place to purchase liquor, groceries?

We have talked about renting a power boat, any suggestions?

I will post pictures and reviews to this board, either while we are there or when we return.

First time to the USVI
Congratulations!

I couldnt get the cabins I wanted on the cruise this year so we decided to do a land vacation (4 adults). We are staying in a Villa (Infinity) in St John from 10/29/10 - 11/6/10.
Double congratulations! As a matter of fact, I'll be on the island the whole time you are there. And we know some folks from just down the road from you, in Plano, who will also be on island for most of your visit. You'll love the sunset views from up there on Gifft Hill Rd!

There's a Halloween party on Saturday night at The Beach Bar (close to the ferry dock) and a big one (that we went to last year) at Skinny Leg's in Coral Bay on Sunday night.

What are your favorite places to eat, and what places are not to be missed?
We prefer casual dining. Actually, we cook most of our dinners at the villa, and tend to eat out mostly for lunch. But there are a lot of great places to eat in Cruz Bay, which is about a ten minute drive from your villa. Let me know what kind of food you like and I'll suggest some of them.

What is a $12 season pass at Trunk Bay, does it get you to all of the park trails/beaches? I was thinking about purchasing the yearly pass for $80 through the parks when we arrive, but $12 is a lot less :).
My guess is that a season pass for Trunk Bay is for that alone. The only other place on St. John that's part of the National Park System that charges admission is the Annaberg Ruins, if I'm not mistaken. If I were you I wouldn't buy a pass. Since you're staying on island you can get to Trunk Bay before they open and you don't have to pay. I think it's 9:00AM, but you can check that.

What is the best place to purchase liquor, groceries?
I rent my vehicle on St. Thomas and take the car barge to St. John, and I stop and stock up at Cost-U-Less on the way. If you're renting your vehicle on St. John that won't be a practical option.

Your grocery options mainly consist of Starfish Market, in the Marketplace plaza - it's the best stocked and probably the most expensive. Dolphin Market is good for produce, and Pine Peace Market has the best prices on staples and booze (is that redundant?). There's also a new grocery store just past the Westin that had a decent selection when we were there in July.

We have talked about renting a power boat, any suggestions?
I've heard that most people use Ocean Runner for this. You can get a boat with or without a captain from them. A lot of folks rent dinghies to use to explore the north shore beaches for a little less expensive option.

I will post pictures and reviews to this board, either while we are there or when we return.
Looking forward to seeing them - maybe I'll be in one or two!

Thanks for the information Augie! We love all types of food, but my husband LOVES crab the most.

If you'll be eating in Cruz Bay I'd wander around and check out the menus and specials at The Banana Deck, Spyglass, High Tide, and La Tapa.

If you're going over to the Coral Bay area for dinner, I like Shipwreck Landing, Island Blues, and Aqua Bistro. If you want a good burger and a real St. John traditional experience, Skinny legs in Coral Bay is the way to go.

You'll be on island towards the end of slow season. The positives in that are less crowded roads, beaches, shops, and restaurants. The downside is that some places close for some or all of the slow season. Here's a web site that usually does a very good job of keeping track of who's closing, and when (and you'll want to visit the store that sponsors the site anyway): http://stjohnspice.com/stjohnrestaurants.htm

Have fun!

We are renting a jeep in St John, so will be able to go anywhere on the island. The website you included is great, and will be very useful for us. :D

If you'll be eating in Cruz Bay I'd wander around and check out the menus and specials at The Banana Deck, Spyglass, High Tide, and La Tapa.

If you're going over to the Coral Bay area for dinner, I like Shipwreck Landing, Island Blues, and Aqua Bistro. If you want a good burger and a real St. John traditional experience, Skinny legs in Coral Bay is the way to go.

You'll be on island towards the end of slow season. The positives in that are less crowded roads, beaches, shops, and restaurants. The downside is that some places close for some or all of the slow season. Here's a web site that usually does a very good job of keeping track of who's closing, and when (and you'll want to visit the store that sponsors the site anyway): http://stjohnspice.com/stjohnrestaurants.htm

Have fun!

Your grocery options mainly consist of Starfish Market, in the Marketplace plaza - it's the best stocked and probably the most expensive. Dolphin Market is good for produce, and Pine Peace Market has the best prices on staples and booze (is that redundant?). There's also a new grocery store just past the Westin that had a decent selection when we were there in July.

We're hiking the Lind Point trail, so we need an option in Cruz Bay for groceries. Someone on another thread suggested the best spot to get some beer, soda, and snacks was Captain's Corner?

Augie suggested Deli Grotto on another thread as a good place to grab a couple of sandwiches to go.

We're hiking the Lind Point trail, so we need an option in Cruz Bay for groceries. Someone on another thread suggested the best spot to get some beer, soda, and snacks was Captain's Corner?

Augie suggested Deli Grotto on another thread as a good place to grab a couple of sandwiches to go.

Thanks, all info is greatly appreciated

swdke ~ we use the water wallet that hangs on a rope and can be worn around your neck in the water. I wear a vest to snorkle so I just close my vest over it and it does perfectly fine. There are lockers at Trunk Bay if you want to lock your things up. I don't recall the cost as we've never used them. I wouldn't hesitate to leave clothing, books, towels on the beach while we walk or swim. We've never had a problem. We always keep ID, credit card and cash in a water wallet type enclosure.

devked ~ it is true that you can get an island tour (and a great one) from taxi drivers on St. John. They've all been there for years and they know the island like the back of their hand. They are proud and happy to show it off. We've taken enough groups there that I call our favorite taxi driver, Mario, ahead of time if we are visiting for the day with people who haven't been there before. But we've used other drivers as well, and they all do a good job. They charge about $25 per person for an island tour. When we do this, we stop at the Sugar Plantation ruins (Annaberg). There is no charge to visit the ruins. The only entrance fee for the USVI National Parks is into Trunk Bay or participating in some of the park ranger led activities (like hiking). Here's a link to the Park website: http://www.nps.gov/viis/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

nanauk ~ CONGRATS! You will absolutely love staying in a villa on St. John. Starfish, while the most expensive, has the best overall selections. Throw a box of aluminum foil in your luggage. It was the one thing we really needed and was outrageously priced there. :) On the subject of the Season Pass, it is for Trunk Bay only as it's the only place that has a fee in the park....it's $4 per day for the entrance fee ($8 per couple). The annual pass is $15 for the family. So you only have to visit Trunk twice on your visit to pay for the annual pass. I even buy the annual pass if we aren't going to use it more than one day. I look at it as a small donation for the wonderful national park we get to enjoy. I want to see it last forever. We mostly hung out on the east end of the island on our last stay. We love Shipwreck's Landing and all the restaurants out east. Nearly all are extremely casual. Shorts and t-shirts are the norm. There are only a handful of restaurants where you'd want to "dress up" and even at that it might mean a sundress for woman and a tommy bahama type shirt for the guys. We are like Augie. Eat most meals in the villa; dined out twice, I think. I'm so jealous! Hope you and Augie have a great time!