just because you're on holiday

bottom-dragger

doesn't mean other people aren't at work. two purse snatchings in juneau tuesday on the opening day of the cruise season. both of them occured along franklin street (the tourist shop area). not a memory that you want to take home with you.

Thanks for the warning. We were told to watch our belongs in Quito, Ecuador. We have the car break-ins here, on Maui when people leave stuff in their car at the tourist spots.

Is is a drug problem???

The description of the first one sure sounded like this one methhead who's always hanging around downtown. But I would think the police know him by description. If I heard the perp's description and immediately thought of that creep, surely the police did too! He's also a street busker, so he works the tourists already.

The second one is suspected of being some sort of domestic dispute. The victim took off and the police actually caught the guy, but couldn't charge him without a report. Doesn't sound like a tourist to me.

Is purse snatching and pickpocketing a problem in Alaska or is it pretty infrequent?

Honestly I havent heard its a mega huge problem. But I think in any of the big citys in Alaska especially where lots of visitors gather it can be a problem. Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau in the downtown areas could have a bit of an issue. I think its a matter of watching your items and just being weary. I know living here I keep a hold of my purse/bag but I dont see it as a huge problem. I live in the country but I do go to the city on occasion and was just down town Anchorage walking around and dident feel completly unsafe.

Adri :)

It can be a problem ANY where in the world at ANY time..Always be aware wherever you are...;)..Even in your local store shopping don't leave your purse in your shoppingcart ....:rolleyes:

The nefarious criminal of Juneau had been apprehended! (Or rather, he's the same guy they caught yesterday but had to release because of the missing victim.) Apparently this master criminal tried to use one of the credit cards.

The news reports make sure to emphasis that he's a Washington State resident. :D So I guess it wasn't the downtown methhead.

Truly, I can't think of the last time I've seen any report of something like this, or muggings. The main crime against tourists (and locals) is breaking into cars, crimes of opportunity like that. It's a good reason to download your pictures every night. I can't tell you how many sad notices I've seen posted, begging thieves to sell back the memory chips out of lost cameras.

Archived