Do you get a Hepatitis shot before going to the Caribbean?

biksgirl

We got both A and B in a single shot series. They are good for life. As we travel the Carribean often, as well as Mexico, it just seemed prudent to be totally safe. The southern USA also has it's fair share of hepatitis outbreaks, usually in eating establishments brought in by unprotected staff. Five star resorts are not immune! It is a miserable disease, and can cause long term liver problems which are difficult to treat. As well, often people do not know they have it for quite some time and are contagious in the interim...friends and family can get it from you quite easily. Be safe.

They are good for life.

Actually you may at some point need a booster shot to keep the protection effective. Have a look at the Twinrix link I posted earlier in this thread. Even if you had a vacine other than twinrix the info regarding possible need for a booster would be the same.

Regards, Ross

Sounds like the dr wants some extra money. They will recommend everything, and why get it when you are going on a cruise and not before now? You can get it in the US just as easy.

We are nurses in the prison system and Hepatitis and TB screening is required. Hepatitis is endemic to these areas AS WELL AS AREAS IN THE USA. Do you know why you are excluded from blood donations for a year after traveling to some of these countries? For good reason, you can be infected. Getting vaccinated means you won't get it on a cruise or in the USA. Contaminated shellfish carries the Hep B virus - how much shrimp and seafood are you eating and from where? Do you know how many people walking around carrying the Hep C virus and don't know it? ANY blood transfusion or injection made from blood products given to you prior to 1993 IN THE USA could have been contaminated because, prior to 1993 5 out of 10 units of blood in the USA was contaminated with the Hep C virus. We are not talking about high risk behavior. We are taking about someone in a car accident that had a unit of blood. The woman given a unit of blood after childbirth. The shot given to woman for the Rh factor (millions of women) was made from blood products. Unless you have been tested, people who feel they are not at risk are fooling themselves. The leading cause of liver transplants all over the world is due to liver failure from Hepatitis. TB is also rampant in the Caribbean and getting tested (and having your children) tested after traveling is prudent - the is no immunizations for TB but there is treatment and preventive medication for exposure.

You doctor is being a good doctor in recommending that you and your children be fully protected when you are traveling, and for that matter in your daily life.

This is funny, I was getting my Remicade infusion yesterday and asked the nurse if this was a good idea, I have 2 more shots to do as they did my first one during my Remicade treatment! Booster is due in 1 year. Not sure if anything is needed after that.

Archived