We are back.

After a long time away from the CC boards due to health issues with my DW I am glad to say we are back in the cruisers circle. My wife is not allowed to fly any more and is now using a mobility scooter. That changes the picture somewhat when it comes to cruising but we are determined to adapt and enjoy what we can as far as cruising goes.

We have just booked the Hawai circle cruise on Zaandam (HC cabin D3391) round trip San Diego on March 13th 2011. This is a new itinery for us. As we live on Vancouver Island BC the April round trip from Vancouver would have been ideal but alas no HC cabin availability until 2012?? So we will drive to San Diego (1400 mls) and take the 14 day cruise then drive back home.

I will be checking the dissabled board often for tips as we are new to "scooter cruising" and I know there will be lots of help there.

I am sure there will be lots of questions about the ship and the itinery -- any recent or upcoming upgrades for the Zaandam?

I am happy to be back and look forward to lots of advice from fellow CCrs.

Just a suggestion, but have you considered doing a cruise in the fall? You could pick up a Coastal cruise out of Vancouver to San Diego, and not have to contend with the long drive.

Not sure if the time or itiniary would work for you though.

We have done a few of those prior to my DWs "no fly" situation. Now we have to find cruises that are round trip so that I can drive to the port and my van will be waiting when we return.

Thanks for the suggestion Sprocket.

Have you thought about the train? As we get older (who, me?), the train from Seattle to LA or San Diego beats a long drive. :D There is a handicapped bedroom on the first floor so she wouldn't have to go upstairs. I don't know how dining would work.

I'm glad you're still planning on cruising.

Sorry, it hit me about 2 hours after I posted that you would have no way to get home :o after doing a Coastal.

Happy to hear your wife is able to cruise, and I am sure you will both enjoy Hawaii. We were on the Zaandam last year and had a great time.

The nice thing about driving is you can set your own pace and perhaps get to see a bit of San Diego before you depart.

We just got off the Maasdam HC cabin 704...Frank uses a scooter and I enjoy the benifit of having the very large cabin. If possible bring a wheel chair for the islands in Hawaii...Scooters don't fit in Vans and several ports you tender.

Always check back with the cruiselines for availability on HC cabins...we usually get them after final payments have been made and the ones reserved were let go.

My DS is in a electric wheelchair from a car accident at the age of 18 (now 25). We find that if I research really well and we both bring our sense of humors we love to travel.

Now this has led to me doing a lot of leg work before we even start but our pleasure of getting out of our day to day routine if far greater than the stress of planning.

Enjoy your Hawaiian cruise. That is the one place I would like to return (went there in my mid twenties, can you say eons ago).

LHC

Archived