Disembarking at Valparaiso and traveling to Machu Picchu

lkoontz...Not sure if this will open. This is a really good list of TIPS for just the Galapagos part of your trip.

We are doing a MP/Gal tour next months but we booked through OAT.

I printed this list and intend to go over it very closely. I like to be prepared!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=161233&d=1278268981

http://ninemsn.lonelyplanet.com/Primary/Product/PRD_PRD_1805/Watching+Wildlife+Galapagos+Islands+Guide.jsp

Buy it and take it with you!

BTW, Machu Picchu was our first guided tour. We did South Africa on our own, but it was a personalized itinerary created by a travel agent. We are doing Egypt and Jordan as a tour in November. Almost everything else was on our own. We do India and Cambodia on our won but with a travel agent assisted itinerary.

What I have figured out... altitude meds (from our doctor last week), we are carrying small, very small canisters of oxygen, from a website.

Just a couple of notes-if you got Diamox, be prepared to pee A LOT (which is NOT overly convenient in Peru, especially for women). They also make drinks taste very weird-remember "fizzies" when you were a kid? Well, if you are taking Diamox, EVERYTHING you drink tastes like fizzies.

I swear by the coca tea-I drink a lot of it from the very minute I get off the plane (little kiosk at the back of the airport parking lot). I also have a bag of leaves with me at all times-chewing them if you feel AMS coming on. The taste is nasty but it sure works.

Marazul just returned and said a 5 minute oxygen treatment at the hotel when they arrived worked very well. Haven't tried it, but may this fall when I start my annual treks to Cusco.

PLEASE DO NOT take oxygen canisters UNLESS you notify the airline in advance. It is ILLEGAL to carry oxygen on the plane without having it pre approved by the airline. Even people who need medical oxygen often CANNOT get their own FILLED canisters onboard. Only certain types are allowed on the plane. Oxygen canisters are what brought down the Value Jet plane in Florida. For your own sake and the safety of your fellow passengers, please don't take them. There is plenty of oxygen in most hotels in Cusco.

We did get the "U P more" tablets. Always more fun for the ladies.

I have read up on the tea and will give it a try... I am a recovering alcoholic, 17 years, but I do take some "problematic for others" meds with no (craving) effect, so I will try the tea!

The little oxygen containers are very small the size of 1/2 tube of toothpaste. I have checked with the TSB and they are approved to go in CHECKED luggage. They are probably not needed and might be useless, they are so small, but we bought them on line (the website said they were transportable in checked luggage). . I WILL show the airline BEFORE I check the luggage and if they say NO go it is fine with me. I might sit while waiting for the plane and inhale all the oxygen in the mini-canisters IF they are a no go on the plane.

I read all the way through the link, HELPFUL, thanks and I will order the book... thanks.

linda

Marazul just returned and said a 5 minute oxygen treatment at the hotel when they arrived worked very well.

There is plenty of oxygen in most hotels in Cusco.

Our hotel in Cusco offered 10 minute oxygen treatment at no charge and we found it to be useful once a day.

sure wish this was a more active board. I am on a Antarctic cruise board for the Christmas time and there are 20 posts a day... a bit too much.

I have deet, water shoes, hats, "roll-up-able" and "roll-down-able" pants for the water landings made of quick dry material. A couple of bathing-suits, though I don't usually subject folks to seeing that. Sun screen- though I usually forget to use it.

Am I forgetting anything for the islands part.

For the mountains part, I have meds, I will drink the tea, I have jackets and warmer layer-able clothes.

Am I forgetting anything on the Manchu Picchu part?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

wonderful, is the only way I can explain the experience. Smartours did their usual EXCELLENT job and both pieces of the trip did not dissapoint.

Bugs in MP were hungry... take good bug spray.

Toilet paper needed most places, take baby wipes - you will be glad you did.

Not bothered much by altitude. Took TSA approved oxygen in a bottle, little canisters, really helped a woman who passed out.

Take it easy and expect to be a bit off. Take the RX meds suggested.

Laundry in the Novotel (Cuzco) by local woman was great.

Smartours recommended places to eat were safe and good.

Galapagos - lots of bug spray, wipes, TP, water shoes were nice to have, hat and most used sunscreen - I don't. Galapagos Explorer II was nicer than most. TP in waste basket is a bit hard to get used to... food was EXCELLENT and safe.

July a bit cold to swim -snorkel, but most did... the cold water brings more animals so ok with me.

All in all - tired and need a vacation, but I lost 17 lbs tbefore going and walked some to get in better shape, that was a good thing. I made the entire walking offerings and was proud of myself. Came home less pounds than when I left... never happens to me!!!! 61 yrs old and I did everything offered except the 3 am walk to the gate of the sun. But one man, 64, name George did and then walked to the top of the second highest mount. the same day, he is my hero!

Linda

Thanks for the info! We are going to M.P. in Sept (land trip only) and was wondering about the restrooms and food available at M.P. Are the restrooms decent? Who much? I know the Sanctuary has a buffet but is there other food or water if you want a quick snack?

Thanks for any help!

ONLY drink bottled water Only brush your teeth with bottled water. Carry candy bars or the like.

Ok, we stayed in MP one night at a small 2 star hotel, BUT Smartours guide recommended several "safe" places to eat. Some of our group had not received their "air" legs yet and eating was the last thing on their minds. We stayed in the Inti Inn Hotel - had breakfast there and that was fine. The hotel can recommend some places to eat. We had a buffet dinner in a large restaurant but can't remember the name. Ask at your hotel they can provide info on SAFE eateries.

toilets are always fun... or at least interesting. I ALWAYS carry wipes and TP - some places had TP but many did not... some you had to pay a very small fee to use what they laughingly called a bathroom.

Funny thing, I am a bit of a germ freak. BUT when I felt the need for oxygen in our Cuzco hotel I grabbed the many times used face mask and sucked away... funny how sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't.

There was a small "store" by our little hotel and you could buy snacks, cokes (say Coke Zero, if you want a diet). We carried the Costco size jar of almonds and made do one night with almonds and diet cokes.

Eat a lot for breakfast, you do burn a bunch of calories.

WEAR lots of DEET, my husband had way over 50 bites, he is a slacker when it comes to applying the bug spray. I had NONE.

There is a nice snack bar at MP itself (the park) Ice Cream looked good. Just be aware that inside the park itself there are NO toilets... so do drink bottled water the entire hike, you must but then you can not pee (sorry) (unless you are a guy) once inside. You may walk back to the facilities, but once inside I did not give up until I had completer the entire 3000+ steps.

Welcome back from MP and Galapagos. Sounds like quite an adventure. So glad to hear smarTours lived up to your expectations. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your info. The advice is much appreciated. We leave Monday and I'm very excited. Have not done a tour like this before. Just a few questions. How many were in your group and did you do most things together or on your own? It sounds like you dealt well with the altitude and eating. Was that generally the case? How was the weather? Any other little tidbits? Thanks again.

We had 37 in our group and then added 4 for the Galapagos only portion.

We all did almost every tour together. Only a very few times was someone "missing" from an included event.

It was a bit cold in the morning and evenings. The mid-day was warm... dress in layers.

YES, most did ok in the altitude. I am 61 and my husband is 70 and we had only mild sensations of??? Some younger and in better shape had some more "gaps in feeling just right". We did take the Rx given by doctor... DRINK the Coca Tea, I am not sure it helps but you think it does.

The most common problems were headache and some light headiness.

IF you are taking the Rx then (really a personal issue, but since you ask) you might want to have a laxative with you... usually not the problem in third world places, usually the other way around. But I believe it is best to be prepared so take some of both along a "starter and a stopper"... a laxative and something to treat the opposite.

NEVER poured but an umbrella might be in order.

Are you doing Smartours? Are you doing both parts MP and the Galapagos?

Yes, we're with smarTours for both MP and Galapagos. They were highly recommended by a number of people we met on recent trips who, like you, had had many adventuresome tours. We're in your age group and glad to hear how well you did. Did you use a tour company for Egypt and Africa?

Thanks again for all the good advice. There are certain personal items it's important to have with you at all times!! My traveling pharmacy is growing every day.

Packing for this expedition is quite a challange. Just an overnight bag for MP of course, but did you really pack a smaller bag for Galapagos as the paperwork says? Haven't planned on that.

I think I'll buy more DEET!

OK, now I better understand.

THEY always have you under pack. The flights and ship were PERFECT. LAN airlines was wonderful... As was Tame? - no charge for luggage, just keep it under the 44 lbs each so total four cases can be used and not charged for for two people.... they let us put our suitcases on together, my husband and me so if one was a bit over and the other a bit under it was OK.

They try to keep the luggage small to MP (but you may bring a regular small suitcase).

They will tell you that the ship will only allow a duffel bag, but that is not true, the rooms are huge and better than most we saw. BUT I understand and so will you when you see how they get the suitcases to the ship. What a hoot. So take two small regular suitcases, on the ship, one ends up with dirty clothes and the other some clean ones you didn't use.

So don't overpack but you can take a regular small suitcase to MP and the islands. USE the provided walking sticks.

Our tour guide in both places were very good. They always told us at least three places that were safe to eat in every stop. Many of us ventured out together for dinner's not covered. NO problems with any recommended place. Only in Quito did they insist on us using a cab or walking with more than just two to the dinner. The food in the Quito Hilton was very good. The food on the ship was top really top quality. The dinners on Smartours were ample and some even good and the entertainment was nice.

MP itself the little hotel breakfast was ok. There is an included dinner and a recommended lunch. Cuzco, the hotel was nice and the coca tea always hot and ready. The three or four recommended places to eat were good. The pizza place was a favorite of some (we slept the Pizza night, to catch up).

You will be well taken care of in both places. They have it all figured out. they understand that "we" need to stop for potty breaks and the guides tell us how much, a dime in one place or free or.

SmarTours did not disappoint again. We did India with them, a great trip. Africa we did with another good company but the SmarTours stayed in the same hotels, where we learned of them. And in Egypt we should have used SmarTours but used another company instead, would not recommend them.

An interesting side note Ecuador uses the US dollar as their currency, no mysteries. In Peru we took about $100 from the local ATM and had money left over-used it to supplement our tips.

Sit back - relax, you will have a great time and SmarTours will take very good care of you. sometimes it looks like chaos but the company has it all figured out.

AND I lost weight! Ate like a piglet but you walk many hours each day. As our guide said, try every activity, if you start something you can't or don't want to finish there is always someone to take you back to the start and wait for the others to return... but if I can do the stuff so can anyone.

You will have a great time. IF you get Enrique in Peru say hi for us, Dennis and Linda (Dennis is the paramedic that helped the lady when she passed out... he will remember). DRINK LOTS OF WATER--- shussssh about Jose, you will understand. He was great.

In Equador our guide was William... Knew EXACTLY what needed to be done to accomplish what we needed just TRUST the guides.

Take Pepto Bismo, buy the coca candy in Cuzco, she will approach you. Take it easy really easy. Use the oxygen if needed. Relax and have a great time.

Thanks Linda and Dennis. Great first hand info. Just what I needed. I hope you've recovered. Looking forward to a wonderful trip. The tour directors are the same. I'll say hi for you. Sorry we were not on the same tour. It would have been fun to meet you.

Safe travels.

yes it would have been nice. I am so sure you won't be disappointed... unless you have never been to a third world country... Peru is CLEAN and Ecuador is certainly not the worst we have seen.

R E L A X and enjoy...

One strange thing, I got international calling in Peru, (though I do not pay for it) -- got a call and closed a REAL Estate deal while in the bathtub in the Novotel in Cuzco. The internet is free in the Coszco hotel and the little one in MP, nice. Right outside the Quito Hilton across the street (pharmacy side) two blocks down a nice internet cafe, they charged us 50 cents because we did not use the entire hour. No need to buy just pay the nice guy... it is open and clean only two blocks down!

Hopefully you won't need it but there is a great doctor on board the ship, one of our guys fell and needed stitches and meds and the bill was only $100... We were also lucky we had two doctors and Dennis with our group. One doctor did not offer any help but Dennis and the other doc put themselves out there for any assistance needed :-)

have a great time.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I have found it very useful as we are considering a side trip to Machu Picchu in 2011 or 2012. I have one other question that I am hoping someone can answer, please, so that I can fully understand what to expect.

I understand about the altitude issues but, other than that how strenuous are tours to the site? i.e. if the site was at sea level, how challenging would visiting be considered.

Many thanks.

Sue

If you climb mountains regularly, not that strenuous. If you don't, it's pretty strenuous. Take a look at pictures of the site - it's non-stop stairs. And they're not normal size steps either, they're big ones. From top to bottom it's likely 30 to 40 stories tall and about 3/8 of a mile across. Take your time and rest when needed and you should be OK. But you need to be at least moderately fit.

Ok, I lost 15 pounds to take the trip and walked for about a month... because I was 30 pounds overweight and didn't walk at all.

I am 61 and my husband is 70. It was tough at times BUT very doable EVEN for us. One of our folks was 64 years old and he did the entire Machu Picchu with us, (the toughest day of the entire trip) then he got up in the early am and WALKED back to the site, about 4 miles from the hotel (busses don't run until dawn) and then he climbed to the "Gate of the Sun" and then he (the same morning) climbed the second highest mountain! But though 64, GEORGE was in great shape.

The trip is doable for almost everyone. I was not the first in line NOR the last. I took the steps at a slower pace than some but everyone stops to rest so I caught up every time.

Don't NOT go. It is a great trip, even for me who is in better shape today, after taking the trip than before!!!

Use the walking sticks and go for it. If you can walk up a steep hill at your own speed you can do this.

Take the alt meds, drink the coca tea (though I am not sure it helps but you think it does) and do a little walking before you go and you too can say... I did it.

If you climb mountains regularly, not that strenuous. If you don't, it's pretty strenuous. Take a look at pictures of the site - it's non-stop stairs. And they're not normal size steps either, they're big ones. From top to bottom it's likely 30 to 40 stories tall and about 3/8 of a mile across. Take your time and rest when needed and you should be OK. But you need to be at least moderately fit.

The estimate of 30 to 40 stories tall seems to be too much, unless you include Huayna Picchu. After entering the site, the climb to the guardhouse (which is the classic view of the overall site) is only eight to ten minutes, according to Ruth Wright, who has written the definitive guidebook to MP. It probably took me, my wife, and daughter a little longer, and it was very easy to stop and rest along the way. (I've never climbed a mountain in my life.) Once up there we spent quite a long time before moving along to other areas. And most everything is downhill from the guardhouse.

There are many steps throughout the site, but stopping along the way for long periods of time allows you to catch your breath (if needed). We definitely were stopped looking at the scenery and taking photos for much longer periods than we were moving. So, if you can climb up a series of stairs that a person reasonably fit can climb in 10 to 15 minutes, you should be able to do it, even if it takes you twice as long.

:DThanks very very much for all the info and health hints. We are planing S.A. cruise first (Cape Horn and Antarctic) and perhaps a MA trip later..TP and DEET hints are great. We used same ideas in Egypt (1980s), re bottled water and eating where advised. Another hint -- never eat fruit with peels on --often washed in unclean waters. This will all help a lot. Call us "older travellers, new to cruising". Happy Travels everyone!

I think you meant not to eat fruit that YOU don't peel yourself, don't eat peeled fruit, OR any non-cooked vegetables, again the water :-). Don't even brush your teeth, keep your mouth closed in the shower! Harder to do than it sounds, all that stifled singing :-)

Funny you should mention it... we are doing the Princess Antarctica cruise this December 20. There is a great forum going on that trip. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1045970&page=38

It is 20 days and are supposed to see a million penguins. Rio to Buenos Aries. It is one on the last big ship cruises allowed in that region so we booked it, even though we had blown this year's trip budget on the Galapagos and Machu Picchu.

l

I think you meant not to eat fruit that YOU don't peel yourself, don't eat peeled fruit, OR any non-cooked vegetables, again the water :-). Don't even brush your teeth, keep your mouth closed in the shower! Harder to do than it sounds, all that stifled singing :-)

I re-read your post THAT makes sense also... don't eat fruit with the peal on because they washed it in the water. We are old and very cautious. We also don't get sick... not as adventurous with our food as some, but safer.

Our doctor is so funny she always tells us not to pet strange animals, and to not eat from a street vender (like in Delhi or Saigon)... I have told her many times "I won't eat from a street vender in Beverly Hills!

Join us on the SA cruise. Or at least look at the link.

I've asked the Tour Group and haven't gotten a straight answer on whether you get the chance to go in the water with the wildlife?

For example, 20yrs ago I visited the islands and there were these interconnected vertical and horizontal lava tubes that had fish and seals swimming in them. We were able to swim in the tubes, with the seals. We also swam with the penguins at pinnacle rock.

Any opportunities like these on the Explorer?

The Explorer II had many swimming, snorkeling and a couple of scuba diving opportunities. The scuba needed documentation.

We went in July when the Humbolt current brought much wildlife to the surface but also made the water a bit cold. I personally did not swim, though I did fling myself into the water a few times while doing the wet landings. Actually my de-boating was much prettier than my getting into the boat, twice head first!

Archived