Disembarking at Valparaiso and traveling to Machu Picchu

The estimate of 30 to 40 stories tall seems to be too much, unless you include Huayna Picchu. After entering the site, the climb to the guardhouse (which is the classic view of the overall site) is only eight to ten minutes, according to Ruth Wright, who has written the definitive guidebook to MP. It probably took me, my wife, and daughter a little longer, and it was very easy to stop and rest along the way. (I've never climbed a mountain in my life.) Once up there we spent quite a long time before moving along to other areas. And most everything is downhill from the guardhouse.

There are many steps throughout the site, but stopping along the way for long periods of time allows you to catch your breath (if needed). We definitely were stopped looking at the scenery and taking photos for much longer periods than we were moving. So, if you can climb up a series of stairs that a person reasonably fit can climb in 10 to 15 minutes, you should be able to do it, even if it takes you twice as long.

Without counting the walk up to the entrance, the actual site itself has over 70 terraces (120 if you count the agricultural terraces)from top to bottom. Each terrace is from 6 to 13 feet in height. So the height is somewhere between 420 and 910 feet. If you figure 10 feet per storey (residential), you're looking at 42 to 91 stories. Granted, most people don't walk down to the lower terraces (it's dangerous), but it can be done.

The site has over 3,000 steps and covers 15 square kilometers.

We also did the walk to the Inca drawbridge and the Sun Gate.

So, when I said 30 to 40 stories, I was actually being very conservative. It's certainly doable for anyone is reasonable shape, but don't think for a second that it's just a walk in the park.

• 2 weeks later...

that just went on the exact same tour with SmarTours, to come back before I weigh in again of how hard this trip is.

But I really don't want anyone to think that this is harder than it is. I swear if I can do the Machu Picchu steps almost anyone can do them.

Hi Linda and Dennis. We're back and had a truely marvelous experience. I can't say enough good things about how excellent the tour company was with all the arrangements, accommodations, connections,restaurants, etc. Enrique was simply the best and sends greetings to you. (so was Jose.) Did you meet Pedro? You were so right about your excellent advise and we really appreciated it. Cusco was difficult at first but much coca tea and oxygen when we needed it really helped. It is very doable if you take it slow and rest when you have to. The beautiful train ride to Aguas Calientes was one of my favorite days, even the little hotel. But nothing prepares you for that moment when you step out and Machu Picchu is before you. We walked and climbed, sometimes slowly, but we did it. As you said, if we can anyone can. Trekking pole or walking stick (bought for $10 outside the hotel) is almost a must. Even the most athletic took one.

We were very fortunate to have nearly perfect cloudless weather every day, much warmer than expected. Even in the Galapagos. The Explorer II was very comfortable and we were well taken care of. Once we got the hang of the pangas, we looked forward to each day's excursion. Some trecherous walking but at least it was sea level! Being with the animals and birds every day was very special. Many babies and nesting pairs, sea lions and iguanas lounging everywhere, and of course "Lonesome George."

Thanks again for your encouragement. It was a demanding trip but well

worth it. Looking forward to the next adventure!

I just knew you would love it.

There are some nay sayers out there, but doing EXACTLY what we did made it doable for me.. and as I have stated: I am 61 out of shape (better after this trip) and hate exercise, I won't even let my high school students use the "E" work.

I think the SmarTours does an excellent job of anticipating the un-anticipatable and fixes things before they become problems.

The ship, in my opinion was better than anything else we saw, including the NG ship. I thought the food on our ship was EXCELLENT, and the accommodations were better than I had imagined.

All in all this was a perfect trip for us also.

I kept checking this board for your return so I could "see" you back safely. I am probably not going to check this board now that both you and we have returned.

Congratulations on a trip accomplished on "your" bucket list.

I am going to hop over to the Antarctic - Princess December 20th board, my next adventure.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did.

linda

But nothing prepares you for that moment when you step out and Machu Picchu is before you. We walked and climbed, sometimes slowly, but we did it. As you said, if we can anyone can. Trekking pole or walking stick (bought for $10 outside the hotel) is almost a must. Even the most athletic took one.

Maybe things have changed, but I thought you were NOT allowed to take walking sticks into Machu Picchu. I have read some blogs from hikers who do the Inca trail and they all said they have to "bag check" their large backpack and their walking sticks as they are not allowed inside M.P.

We are not doing the popular Inca trail but hiking the Inca steps from Aguas Calientes to the M.P. entrance. I figured I would use a walking stick for the trek up and then discard it at the gate. Maybe I won't have to! :)

Maybe things have changed, but I thought you were NOT allowed to take walking sticks into Machu Picchu. I have read some blogs from hikers who do the Inca trail and they all said they have to "bag check" their large backpack and their walking sticks as they are not allowed inside M.P.

We are not doing the popular Inca trail but hiking the Inca steps from Aguas Calientes to the M.P. entrance. I figured I would use a walking stick for the trek up and then discard it at the gate. Maybe I won't have to! :)

We were in MP two months ago. We had walking sticks and so did many others. We bought ours at the Ollantaytambo market for $3.

Archived