Sensation Wedding Horror Story

mferris77

Just heard the groom being interviewed on the radio about this. Apparently he'll be on Inside Edition tonight, I think they said.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/23505848/detail.html

While I do feel sorry for the couple and their families, unfortunately that is the risk that you take when you book such a special occasion on a cruise ship.

Just wondering - does Carnival offer insurance for their wedding packages? And if they do, and this couple had purchased it, wouldn't they be reimbursed? If they don't already sell insurance for this, maybe someone should.

Ashley :)

Why was the wedding at 1:30 on embarkation day? It seems like they can't guarantee that time due to various reasons, some beyond their control. Do they allow wedding guests to go to the wedding and then get back off the ship before it leaves for the cruise?

Just heard the groom being interviewed on the radio about this. Apparently he'll be on Inside Edition tonight, I think they said.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/23505848/detail.html

I feel bad for them and hope they do get compensated.

However, the author and editor should be fired for this line: "Andrew and Emily Pidgeon, of Palm Bay, were expecting a sensation of a wedding aboard the Carnival Sensation."

C'mon ... they were expecting a *feeling* of a wedding? A *cause of a feeling* of a wedding? The word is "sensational". *shakes head*

Why was the wedding at 1:30 on embarkation day? It seems like they can't guarantee that time due to various reasons, some beyond their control. Do they allow wedding guests to go to the wedding and then get back off the ship before it leaves for the cruise?

Yes the do allow guests on for the wedding/reception. Then after "off the ship" they go. :D

It would be in CCL's best (media exposed) interest to fully reimburse the Pidgeons for what happened. I put myself in the groom's shoes for a moment, especially when people came sauntering in for lifeboat muster and grabbing for plates at their own special buffet that was paid for in full. I can understand the time being off, but still, a lot of those issues could have been taken care of through compensation.

That's exactly what the do. 99.9% it goes off without a hitch. Getting married portside is a lot safer then arranging for one in the islands where weather or other issues could force itinerary changes especially tender ports.

Not much Carnival can do about a frickin bomb scare though.

That's exactly what the do. 99.9% it goes off without a hitch. Getting married portside is a lot safer then arranging for one in the islands where weather or other issues could force itinerary changes especially tender ports.

Not much Carnival can do about a frickin bomb scare though.

No, but they could have kept the general public away from the buffet the wedding couple had paid for, amongst other things.

Yeah basically you can have your wedding on the ship and you can have people who aren't going on the cruise on the ship with you. Under normal circumstances the wedding party are the first people that get to board the ship, then you can have the wedding and reception on the ship before the ship ever leaves port. Then, those who aren't cruising with you leave the ship as the ship prepares to pull away.

But since there was a bomb hoax on the inbound sailing earlier in the day, everything got pushed back and they didn't get to start the wedding until the time when they probably should have been wrapping things up.

Also they just said that they are filming for Inside Edition tomorrow, so it probably won't be airing for a couple days at least. There's also a video interview at the link I post.

It's bad, but the way I see it is like planning an outside wedding where you run the risk of rain.

I feel for them, but things happen that can be out of control. Imagine if they would have let everyone in for the wedding and there was really a problem.

No, but they could have kept the general public away from the buffet the wedding couple had paid for, amongst other things.

I couldn't think of where this would be held other then the Lido Buffet, the pay part being for non-sailing guests. I could be wrong though.

yes

Although Carnival is not at fault for the bomb scare, they should really save face and reimburse the full cost back to the couple, and comp them a cruise. Think about how horrified you would be if this happened at your wedding, I dont blame them for taking this to the media. The bad press will probably cost them a lot more in the long run, than if they were to just reimburse the couple.

I couldn't think of where this would be held other then the Lido Buffet, the pay part being for non-sailing guests. I could be wrong though.

On the couple of cruises I've been on that had weddings, it was usually in a lounge or a more private area.

Lots of places---the piano bar, the library, the disco or a private room/

while i do feel for the couple, things happen. Look at America's Funniest Home Videos.....all that priceless weddings gone wrong footage. They should be refunded for the wedding. It was not what Carnival sold them....additional "guests" for their buffet....and when i read the comments there was a member of the wedding party that responded, she said that a member of the staff said to "get over it, no one got hurt." If they did say that...that was very bad customer service.:(

"Unfortunately for the Pidgeons, the cake-cutting and toast was taking place at a muster station. To the couple's shock, in came the passengers donning life jackets.

"And people are coming in," Emily said, "And they're like, 'Look a buffet!' And they're coming in and making up their plates, and they're eating all of our food."

While passengers were picking at the Pidgeons buffet, the cruise staff was warning the wedding guests to leave."

BETTER than any mustard drill I've been to.

On the couple of cruises I've been on that had weddings, it was usually in a lounge or a more private area.

Ceremony yes, but from the article it appears to have been a sit down dining affair, like I said, dunno. It has been my experience that a lot of Carnival cruisers don't know what a sign marked "Private Function" means. :cool:

Ceremony yes, but from the article it appears to have been a sit down dining affair, like I said, dunno. It has been my experience that a lot of Carnival cruisers don't know what a sign marked "Private Function" means. :cool:

Too true, Duck. Too true.

Carnival doesn't advertise a pre-ceremony buffet in my wedding material sent to me last week.:confused: Just access to the Lido for non sailing guests for $10 a piece. They told us that our luncheon will be in an MDR which is closed off to guests.

"The Pidgeons had paid for a pre-ceremony buffet, but amid the chaos they found non-invited cruise passengers wandering in and out of their dining area. The buffet was not to be."

I am purchasing wedding insurance- i buy travel insurance, and I paid more for the wedding than the cruise so it just makes sense.

I feel sorry for this couple being short changed on their wedding- hopefully they come to a solution.

This is part of the wedding contract I have to sign:

AGREEMENT: It is understood and agreed that Carnival Cruise Lines and/or A Wedding For You shall not be liable and denies responsibility in the event a scheduled wedding cannot take place or is delayed due to circumstances beyond the control of Carnival Cruise Lines and/or A Wedding For You. Suit to recover any claim under this agreement shall not be maintainable unless commenced within 6 months after the date of loss. It is agreed between the parties that all disputes arising under this contract shall be litigated, if at all in, Miami-Dade County to the exclusion of any other jurisdictions. Carnival has the right to return to or enter any port at the Master's discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with our without notice for any reason whatsoever, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages to the wedding couple or any of their guests due to any changes or deviations from the proposed itinerary and has no obligation to take measures to ensure the attendance at the wedding ceremony of any guests of the wedding couple. We have read and understood foregoing and back of this contract and we agree to the terms contained therein.

Because it was a bomb scare- that may fall in "out of their control" and if it does, then Carnival has offered them fair compensation IMHO.

Carnival doesn't advertise a pre-ceremony buffet in my wedding material sent to me last week.:confused: Just access to the Lido for non sailing guests for $10 a piece. They told us that our luncheon will be in an MDR which is closed off to guests.

"The Pidgeons had paid for a pre-ceremony buffet, but amid the chaos they found non-invited cruise passengers wandering in and out of their dining area. The buffet was not to be."

I am purchasing wedding insurance- i buy travel insurance, and I paid more for the wedding than the cruise so it just makes sense.

I feel sorry for this couple being short changed on their wedding- hopefully they come to a solution.

This is part of the wedding contract I have to sign:

AGREEMENT: It is understood and agreed that Carnival Cruise Lines and/or A Wedding For You shall not be liable and denies responsibility in the event a scheduled wedding cannot take place or is delayed due to circumstances beyond the control of Carnival Cruise Lines and/or A Wedding For You. Suit to recover any claim under this agreement shall not be maintainable unless commenced within 6 months after the date of loss. It is agreed between the parties that all disputes arising under this contract shall be litigated, if at all in, Miami-Dade County to the exclusion of any other jurisdictions. Carnival has the right to return to or enter any port at the Master's discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with our without notice for any reason whatsoever, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages to the wedding couple or any of their guests due to any changes or deviations from the proposed itinerary and has no obligation to take measures to ensure the attendance at the wedding ceremony of any guests of the wedding couple. We have read and understood foregoing and back of this contract and we agree to the terms contained therein.

Because it was a bomb scare- that may fall in "out of their control" and if it does, then Carnival has offered them fair compensation IMHO.

Thanks for coming and putting in your "2 cents". It is very valuable as you are going through the process right now, and on the same class of ship too.

Archived