Sensation Wedding Horror Story

mferris77

We do marriage preparation at our church and we always state that it is the actual ceremony that is important not the buffet, cutting of the cake, tossing of the bouquet, the first dance etc. As much as it is wonderful to have a cruise wedding or location wedding you do take chances that it may be a missed port or weather related issue. Why not have the ceremony where yours co-workders, friends, family etc who cannot afford the trip attend and be a part of. That being said - our daughter wants a location wedding and I feel that if she wants certain people to be there she should be responsible for them to attend.

Why was the wedding at 1:30 on embarkation day? It seems like they can't guarantee that time due to various reasons, some beyond their control. Do they allow wedding guests to go to the wedding and then get back off the ship before it leaves for the cruise?

The wedding being scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on embarkation day is very typical. That's the time our wedding was scheduled for. Although most of our guests (70 in all) were sailing with us, there were about 10 who were not. They had to be off the ship by 3:30, but in reality, they let them stay til around 4 p.m.

The only issue I see with this story is that the couple should have been reimbursed fully for the wedding expense, plus it would have been good customer service for Carnival to offer something over and above the full reimbursement. I know a bomb scare is out of Carnival's control, but I do think they could have done something more than a partial reimbursement.

Jo-Ann

I'm curious. What happens if you've booked your island wedding through a local vendor, and then the ship changes itinerary and misses that port of call?

Do you get a refund? Can they make quick re-arrangements to get you married at one of the new ports of call?

I don't know about the financials, but at least one of the couples in my story managed to get married at another port. One of the biggest issues was many of the family and guests didn't cruise but actually flew to St. Thomas.

And this is why I don't like money hungry lawyers!! They like to find loop holes so they can get thier clients and themselves all the money they want!!! Yes its sad that the couple didn't get the wedding they wanted but guess what?? It happens and it also happens on landbase weddings. They should take what carnival offered them sounds better than nothing at all. They did go on the cruise and I am sure they enjoyed themselves. I have had things go wrong when I wante that perfect event but I dealt with it and it was better than I expected. Again sorry for not having the wedding you wanted!! Oh by the way its not that I don't like the person thats the lawyer just the lawyers part!!

And this is why I don't like money hungry lawyers!! They like to find loop holes so they can get thier clients and themselves all the money they want!!! Yes its sad that the couple didn't get the wedding they wanted but guess what?? It happens and it also happens on landbase weddings. They should take what carnival offered them sounds better than nothing at all. They did go on the cruise and I am sure they enjoyed themselves. I have had things go wrong when I wante that perfect event but I dealt with it and it was better than I expected. Again sorry for not having the wedding you wanted!! Oh by the way its not that I don't like the person thats the lawyer just the lawyers part!!

Really???????????????????????????

So if you bought a brand new car and on the way home, the engine fell out of it, you would just go on.....Oh well these things happen?????

It's about getting what you pay for!!!!!

Really???????????????????????????

So if you bought a brand new car and on the way home, the engine fell out of it, you would just go on.....Oh well these things happen?????

It's about getting what you pay for!!!!!

Exactly!!!!! It's like you were reading my mind.

The couple should get a full refund for ALL costs.

What a sad story! Hubby and were married on the Legend and thankfully had a great wedding. We were married in the chapel and got to chose what lounge we wanted our reception in (we were one of 4 weddings that day but ours was the biggest). One of the other couples could only afford the ceremony so we offered them champagne for their toast. Just trying to let those planning a cruise ship wedding know that things can be great but of course there's always a risk of something happening.....it's that true of any wedding?

I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV not did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but FFS is it worth the effort over $1000 in savings for Carnival to negotiate.

**** happens, it did, give the couple their money back and move on to bigger and better things.

Knowing only what I've read here it sounds as if Carnival did nothing more than push the timetables up without looking for ways to make this flow a little better. All parties were available - Food & Dining Manager, Hospitality Manager, Wedding Planner, Bride & Groom. While they would not have gotten what they envisioned, a little thinking outside of the box with all these people would probably have resulted in a much more satisfactory outcome. It's not like they couldn't spend 30 or so minutes to brainstorm.

exactly.

my take on this -- they didn't get what they paid for, with some brainstorming on the part of the staff the wedding could have been salvaged, they are entitled to a refund equivalent to the difference between what they paid for and what they actually received. They are not entitled to damages for emotional distress. this is not a huge-money case for them and not worth the time of a respectable lawyer.

I have attended two Carnival weddings. About 11 years ago my friends got married on the Sensation. Then, this past January my niece got married on the Triumph.

Both weddings were great...my niece did have a few problems though, but not major.

My own daughter is getting married next March and I tried to convince her to get married on a Carnival ship or at one of the ports.:D However, after looking at their contract and speaking to my Carnival PVP, there is no way to insure against missed ports and situations like above.

For us, this was too much risk. :eek:

We are now having her wedding at the Dunleith Plantation in Natchez, Ms...and... we are purchasing wedding insurance! ;)

I have been on 13 Carnival cruises and on 3 or 4 of the cruises, we left the port late because one of the air line flights (arranged by Carnival) was late. One of the delays was two hours and we ended up as the last cruise ship leaving the harbor. I cannot understand why Carnival did not delay the cruise for an hour or two to complete the wedding and reception and "Yes", some of the cruisers would be unhappy. There is, however, plenty of safety time built into the schedule. If they do the delayed departure, they will have to run at a higher speed to make up time and because of this, there will be a cost to Carnival.

If Carnival is not willing to do this, then don't offer weddings packages so close to departure time. Putting aside the legal implications, it would make good business sense for Carnival to admit they bungled the situation and make adequate amends.

I have been on 13 Carnival cruises and on 3 or 4 of the cruises, we left the port late because one of the air line flights (arranged by Carnival) was late. One of the delays was two hours and we ended up as the last cruise ship leaving the harbor. I cannot understand why Carnival did not delay the cruise for an hour or two to complete the wedding and reception and "Yes", some of the cruisers would be unhappy. There is, however, plenty of safety time built into the schedule. If they do the delayed departure, they will have to run at a higher speed to make up time and because of this, there will be a cost to Carnival.

If Carnival is not willing to do this, then don't offer weddings packages so close to departure time. Putting aside the legal implications, it would make good business sense for Carnival to admit they bungled the situation and make adequate amends.

I have to agree.

my take on this -- they didn't get what they paid for, with some brainstorming on the part of the staff the wedding could have been salvaged, they are entitled to a refund equivalent to the difference between what they paid for and what they actually received. They are not entitled to damages for emotional distress. this is not a huge-money case for them and not worth the time of a respectable lawyer.

You're right - this isn't a big-money case and I can't think of a lawyer who'd take it. From the article, I gather that Carnival has offered them a partial refund, which legally is probably all they're entitled to. However, lawyers advising corporations also have to keep in mind the public relations aspect of a case - and in this case, Carnival's PR is taking a hit. If I were one of Carnival's lawyers, I think I would have advised them to refund in full and maybe give an OBC or future cruise credit. It would have deflected the "story" that these people paid for something they didn't receive.

When I first read this thread, I wondered why this story was just making the news now, when the cruise happened more than a month ago. And then I remembered, it's May - local news "sweeps" month for ratings.:rolleyes:

BTW - Off topic to songbird - We were on Conquest with you in Cozumel in February! I was on deck when Valor sailed, and that was a great ship horn contest!:D:D

You're right - this isn't a big-money case and I can't think of a lawyer who'd take it. From the article, I gather that Carnival has offered them a partial refund, which legally is probably all they're entitled to. However, lawyers advising corporations also have to keep in mind the public relations aspect of a case - and in this case, Carnival's PR is taking a hit. If I were one of Carnival's lawyers, I think I would have advised them to refund in full and maybe give an OBC or future cruise credit. It would have deflected the "story" that these people paid for something they didn't receive.

When I first read this thread, I wondered why this story was just making the news now, when the cruise happened more than a month ago. And then I remembered, it's May - local news "sweeps" month for ratings.:rolleyes:

BTW - Off topic to songbird - We were on Conquest with you in Cozumel in February! I was on deck when Valor sailed, and that was a great ship horn contest!:D:D

you're right, it probably should have been done as a business decision regardless of legalities...I can well imagine what this is going to look like on TV...

and yeah, the horn blowing contest was way cool...

that's what you say....until you need one ;)

exactly.

Shakespeare wrote, in Henry VI Part 2

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". - (Act IV, Scene II).

You realize, of course, that the quote, in context, is a call to anarchy.

I do feel bad for them...

of course with a bomb scare it is really not Carnival's fault either

I do think that Carnival would have been smart just to refund the whole amount rather than get dragged in the mud of tv /etc with another "sensational" cruise fiasco story

JMO Carnival should have been able to think quicker also....forget the buffet, tell them "this is oo the house" bring out some finger foods and extra bottles of champagne with the cake, etc...

now Carnival once again looks like the big bad red/white and blue meanie

then don't sell wedding services!

I realize that the bomb scare was not under Carnival's control, but their lack of contingency planning is something that is under their control. This can not be the first nor will it be the last time that a wedding may have had to be altered due to any number of circumstances. Either have a plan in place to re-arrange the wedding to everyone's satisfaction (which may have to include a partial refund), or cancel and refund the couple's money in its entirety! This seems like a no brainer.

I'm shocked that Carnival didn't simply refund the $2500 for the wedding package.

That said, I don't understand why people want to get married on a cruise. Why not just get married at home and go on a cruise for the honeymoon?

Archived