How much was your OBC from your TA?

shoegal24

If it book a cruise and then transfer it to a TA before final payment aren't I allowing a TA to make a smaller, but appreciated commission for not much effort? I would think that a TA would greatly appreciate the extra money. They are not giving up 50% of their income, but getting an extra 50%.

It is not as if I had a TA spend a lot of time helping me figure out what I wanted then did not book with them. I can understand why this would not be fair to a TA.

Guess it depends on whether you see the glass as half full or half empty.

You may be allowing the TA "to make a smaller but appreciated commission for not much effort" but in return you're expecting to receive the same OBC you would have gotten had you initially booked with that TA, which would have allowed him/her to receive the greater and even more appreciated full commission. Doesn't the OBC you get by switching then take a proportionately greater cut out the TA's necessarily smaller commission?

A few observations:

I would not use a TA who charged upfront fees or change fees. There are plenty around who do not.

Make sure your OBC is on your confirmation. It becomes part of the contract (I'm an attorney) and you will have recourse if you have a problem. If the TA will not put it on the confirmation, be concerned.

I have my TA's home number. If you have an ongoing relationship with a TA and book frequently he/she will probably give you a cell phone number or personal email in the event of an after hours problem. In a personal service business where emergencies can occur, that's expected.

Who knows if anyone is getting a better deal than the other person! One person might be getting a big OBC and another person on the same cruise might be getting a lower one or none! But person 1 might be paying more up front for their cruise than person two, because person 2 got a lower starting price. (Their TA discounted the cruise up front.)

We have never gotten an OBC from our TA, who we have been using for almost ten years, but I have always checked and our total cost is usually lower than the person with an OBC.

Who knows if anyone is getting a better deal than the other person! One person might be getting a big OBC and another person on the same cruise might be getting a lower one or none! But person 1 might be paying more up front for their cruise than person two, because person 2 got a lower starting price. (Their TA discounted the cruise up front.)

We have never gotten an OBC from our TA, who we have been using for almost ten years, but I have always checked and our total cost is usually lower than the person with an OBC.

That may hold true for some of the cruise lines but not for Celebrity, which has a policy of disallowing agents to discount off the cruise line's published fares. Violating that policy can jeopardize an agency's contract with X. Excepting when someone books and/or if there are group rates available, X's policy negates the possibility of higher/lower starting prices for the same accommodations. Since the inception of that policy, OBC and amenities have become the preferred currency, if not the only one, by which to judge a good deal.

I never knew that an OBC thread could generate such different opinions.

After reading and participating in this thread I am frankly amazed that there are people willing to pay hundreds of dollars more than others are paying for the identical product.

You may be allowing the TA "to make a smaller but appreciated commission for not much effort" but in return you're expecting to receive the same OBC you would have gotten had you initially booked with that TA, which would have allowed him/her to receive the greater and even more appreciated full commission. Doesn't the OBC you get by switching then take a proportionately greater cut out the TA's necessarily smaller commission?

Is this true? Are you a travel agent and can confirm this? It is my understanding that it doesn't matter where the booking originates, whether you book with a TA initially or if you transfer to a TA later on after the booking is already established. I made separate inquiries to the TA I'm using. The first time I contacted him, I said I wanted to book a new cruise - almost 11% OBC. The second time, I said I had a reservation already and wanted to transfer to him - the same almost 11%. I don't think it makes a difference. So it seems like the TA is going to give me the same OBC no matter when I book with him. If that's the case, wouldn't the TA rather take my booking late, after I've already done all the work, so he really doesn't have to work much at all?

After reading and participating in this thread I am frankly amazed that there are people willing to pay hundreds of dollars more than others are paying for the identical product.

I think that the people here who are "willing" to pay a lot more (or essentially, willingly forego OBC) are probably travel agents themselves! Why else would anyone not like to receive a better deal?

I think that the people here who are "willing" to pay a lot more (or essentially, willingly forego OBC) are probably travel agents themselves! Why else would anyone not like to receive a better deal?

To be sure. LOL

Frankly, I like to do the booking myself. I enjoy looking for the itinerary, the ship and the cabin. I like linking dining reservations, asking for a table location, etc.

After learning what others were getting from a TA, I transferred a booking to a friend who is a local TA. I had already done everything. They input some of our personal information incorrectly, so that had to be changed - birthdates wrong, DH listed as female, etc. We had to contact them when final payment was due - we did not hear from them. All this and we did not get so much as a bottle of wine. That was the only time we gave them our booking. Why bother?

Talked to some other cruisers on a cruise and transferred to their TA after that. I thought we were doing pretty well with our TA gifted OBCs. Definitely better than some. And this TA does an excellent job of picking up price drops. Now I'm learning we could do better at least with the OBCs. Always learning.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

I booked a B2B for later this summer, for four couples, with an inside cabin, two verandah cabins and one suite. Our TA saved us more than $2,100 off the best advertised price, we received $1,000 OBC, and saved an additional $320 in cash back bonus by using our Discover Cards.

That makes the cost for my wife and I (we have the inside cabin), just $3,225.54 for 24 days of cruising, including $480 in gratuities. Total cost for the cruise is just $67.20 per night, each.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Is this true? Are you a travel agent and can confirm this? It is my understanding that it doesn't matter where the booking originates, whether you book with a TA initially or if you transfer to a TA later on after the booking is already established. I made separate inquiries to the TA I'm using. The first time I contacted him, I said I wanted to book a new cruise - almost 11% OBC. The second time, I said I had a reservation already and wanted to transfer to him - the same almost 11%. I don't think it makes a difference. So it seems like the TA is going to give me the same OBC no matter when I book with him. If that's the case, wouldn't the TA rather take my booking late, after I've already done all the work, so he really doesn't have to work much at all?

No, I'm not a travel agent, don't have any idea about how their commissions work and not sure that it really is the customers' business at all. I'm confused by conflicting facts(!) reported re OBC, points, commissions, etc. You may be correct that it doesn't matter where the booking originates. I was just responding to another thread which mentioned a smaller commission when switching to a TA after booking directly with the cruise line but have no idea if that is the case. If it is, then logic dictates the same OBC will take a bigger bite out of a smaller commission than it will a larger one, regardless how much or how little work the TA does.

I do not think that is the case.

We booked our January 2011 Oceania cruise when we were on board another O ship in 2009. We got the extra discount for booking on board and we were ENCOURAGED to transfer the booking to our TA (and we added the TA's name to the reservation right on board ship). Our TA had a group for the cruise and we got gratuities included on top of the discount for booking on board.

I booked to cabins for a btb on Solstice and received pre-paid gratuities and $100 per cabin per cruise obc. After paying for the cruise a price drop added another $100 per cruise for one cabin all total $1244. Garliccruisers

I booked a B2B for later this summer, for four couples, with an inside cabin, two verandah cabins and one suite. Our TA saved us more than $2,100 off the best advertised price, we received $1,000 OBC, and saved an additional $320 in cash back bonus by using our Discover Cards.

That makes the cost for my wife and I (we have the inside cabin), just $3,225.54 for 24 days of cruising, including $480 in gratuities. Total cost for the cruise is just $67.20 per night, each.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Which cruise line were you on? Celebrity does not allow discounting so I don't see how you got $2100 off the published price in addition to an OBC.

Which cruise line were you on? Celebrity does not allow discounting so I don't see how you got $2100 off the published price in addition to an OBC.

well he said a back to back for four couples which equals 8 bookings, That is a savings of 262.50 a booking. I am assuming the posted savings was the total amount for all bookings. Each booking got a $125.00 OBC.

You honestly have no recourse if you get onboard and your promised OBC is missing. That happens far more often than you might ever know.

Would you kindly let us know how often this happens? It's never happen to us and I've yet to read on CC that this is a problem "That happens far more often than you might ever know."

We've used an online TA for 10+ cruises in the last 3 years and have never not gotten our 10% OBC.

We usually book directly then subsequently put our cruise out to bid on an on line site. Our TA normally has the best OBC or is within a few $s of others. We have no complaints and have found our on line TA to be very responsive to any changes we want to make to our reservation.

No, I'm not a travel agent, don't have any idea about how their commissions work and not sure that it really is the customers' business at all. I'm confused by conflicting facts(!) reported re OBC, points, commissions, etc. You may be correct that it doesn't matter where the booking originates. I was just responding to another thread which mentioned a smaller commission when switching to a TA after booking directly with the cruise line but have no idea if that is the case. If it is, then logic dictates the same OBC will take a bigger bite out of a smaller commission than it will a larger one, regardless how much or how little work the TA does.

I think I am the source being quoted about the smaller commission. I did not communicate fully. I did not mean to say that I think that the TA gets a smaller commission just because I booked the cruise directly and then transferred. I meant that since I did all the booking and made all the decisions without TA input that the TA should be happy with the commission even though it was smaller than a full commission because of the OBC that I received. They would be receiving more commission than if I left the booking direct.

I apologize if I created any confusion.

I think I am the source being quoted about the smaller commission. I did not communicate fully. I did not mean to say that I think that the TA gets a smaller commission just because I booked the cruise directly and then transferred. I meant that since I did all the booking and made all the decisions without TA input that the TA should be happy with the commission even though it was smaller than a full commission because of the OBC that I received. They would be receiving more commission than if I left the booking direct.

I apologize if I created any confusion.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have a story regarding OBCs and TA. Last year we decided to take a family cruise to Alaska ( it had to be cancelled last minute for my mom-in-law's sudden illness, thank god we had insurance). Anyway, when I was shopping around, talked to a local TA who booked us into the Celebrity Mercury. Since I had just started the planning, I had not read about OBC and cruise critic. So, I came here and read up and realized that OBCs are given, and for our cruise ( we had a royal suite and 2 sky suites) we should have gotten something. I called the TA back and asked about OBC. He said OBCs are not given on Celebrity, but he could give me a nice bottle of wine to enjoy onboard. We were paying a total of about 14K. So I went on the website where you can ask for prices of certain cruises, and about 5 bids came back with OBC's ranging from $450 to $500 for the RS and $350 for the SS. At that point, I asked the TA to cancel my booking since we were very far out. The TA got almost belligerent, talking about how it was illegal for OBCs to be given, and that he plans to report this to Celebrity, etc etc. Of course, I came here on CC and everyone assured me it was not illegal. I learnt my lesson there.

This year we are taking the cruise ( keeping my fingers crossed everything works out smoothly). Did the bidding thing again, and then the TA for the big company ( have used her before) matched the lowest bid with the highest OBC...

I definitely think everyone should shop around for the best price AND obc. Great thread!!!

For folks who book directly with Celebrity and transfer over to an agent - when do you tend to do this? I decided this time around to book directly with Celebrity so I can control my own reservations and look for any decrease in price. Can I give it to the agent as far out as 1-2 weeks before the cruise and still get an OBC??

Thanks in advance.

I rec'd what I'm thinking is a 'standard' OBC of $100/per cabin (based on reearch).

What I'm rally concerned about is HOW do you check for price reductions when your cruise is a long way away? I don't want to leave this to my TA 'cause she's very busy & I don't want to miss anything...anyone have experience and/or ideas???

Thanks!!!

As to how often people get on board only to find no OBC? Just read through several past threads here. Someone from our office has witnessed it on every cruise they have been on in the past two years.

As far as putting in a dispute with your credit card company, good luck. As most agencies have Celebrity process your credit cards, you really have no recourse having them go to bat for you.

After I posted it the first time, no one said what they did and if they would be willing to give up 50% of their income. Everyone thinks you deserve an OBC or some gift. Try that with your doctor or the next time you buy a car.

Again I don't blame anyone for trying to get the best deal from someone, but those days will soon be over when the cruiselines eliminate commission and Celebrity and Royal follow Carnival's lead and stop allowing people to transfer to a TA more than 30 days from booking.

Those who give up their income and only deal in volume may be the Wal-marts of the world, but there are still many people who shop at the Nordstom's of TAs and they pay for the privilege to do it.

Telling you what a person who pays for a TA's advice versus one who doesn't is considered by CC to be a solicitation so it is not allowed. Just know that there are far more TA's who don't want or seek out a poster on cruise critic as a client. And there are far more who do not know about it than there are that do.

Will be waiting for those who say the deserve an OBC to fess up what they do and just how much of their salary they have given up in the last year.

Those who give up their income and only deal in volume may be the Wal-marts of the world, but there are still many people who shop at the Nordstom's of TAs and they pay for the privilege to do it.

I assure you, there are Nordstrom TAs out there that discount and give a hefty OBC.

Archived