Suggestions for excursions for someone who has a hard time walking?

LindaMae

If at all possible do a string ray excursion in Grand Cayman. It would mean tendering, then getting on a minivan and walking about 100 yds on a dock. The ride out to the sandbar is easy. Jumping/climbing down into waist to chest deep water with a life preserver and then climbing back in the boat. It takes a little work but it is so rewarding and fun!

All of the boats go to the same place some buy sail others power. Read up on the ports area of this board.

If stingray city is not possible then a trip to the turtle farm is doable. It has a short walk around the ponds where the turtles are kept. There is also a museum/gift shop area. The area is now called Boatswain's Bay Beach. There is a snorkel area and aviary there as well as a restaurant/bar but these require more walking. I have trouble walking and have found that I am better with a catamaran than a typical snorkel boat. I have great difficulty climbing the ladder like steps on the normal snorkel boat. On a catamaran I can swim up to the steps that go down between the pontoons and then sit on the steps which are more like a stairway than a ladder and go up bottom first. I call and ask about the boat before I reserve an excursion.

In Cozumel we enjoyed Chankanaab Park. We took a taxi there and snorkeled. They have a wonderful guide called Marco Ceh who is most helpful to those with disabilities. He also takes fish food with him and is of course surrounded by fish which is great fun. The park also has a dolphin swim, restaurants, and walkways with different flowers. They also have a beach wheelchair.

If at all possible do a string ray excursion in Grand Cayman. It would mean tendering, then getting on a minivan and walking about 100 yds on a dock. The ride out to the sandbar is easy. Jumping/climbing down into waist to chest deep water with a life preserver and then climbing back in the boat. It takes a little work but it is so rewarding and fun!

All of the boats go to the same place some buy sail others power. Read up on the ports area of this board.

For God's sake don't jump into the water as that's the perfect way to end up getting zapped like Steve Irwin (sorry Bindi if you read this as we all have fond memories of your dad).

When exiting the tour boat, slowly lower yourself into the water and while lowering onto the sandbar look into the water with mask on to ensure there are no girls (rays) below you. Walking on the bar is not recommended. In fact what they advise you to do is affectionately known as the "Stingray Shuffle" whereby you slither your feet under the sand as you walk rather than placing your feet down onto the sand. That way if there are any rays beneath you they will just take off and swim away.

To step on one could result in a quick tail into your leg, and while a female sting would probably not kill you, it would leave a good size sore for a few weeks afterwards.

I wouldn't recommend Stingray City for someone with walking problems as they may have to go up or down decks on the ship's tenders, on the shuttles to the sandbar at Stingray City and up and down the ladders at the aft end of the shuttles. Might be rather strenuous and overtaxing. In addition if there are swells on the sandbar you will be treading water which can be hard on the leg muscles also if not used to it (even though you wear a BC/lifevest).

I had mentioned the "girls" and did so because the rays (approx 2 ft across) are all females and are quite tame actually. It is the males that are much larger. I swam with one girl for 45 minutes after feeding her a good meal of fresh squid. We swam belly to belly, she swam on my back and I actually held her across my arms and softly rubbed her back all the way down to her stinger.

Definitely a great experience, but might be taxing on a pax with walking/leg problems. Nevertheless enjoy your cruise.

Ciao for now!!!

We have a friend who has a hard time walking. Suggestions for doing things in Ocho Rios, Cayman Islands and Cozumel? Thanks for your help!!

If you haven't already, I suggest you post your question on two other cruisecritic forums: Disabled Cruise Travel and Ports of Call - Caribbean. You can access them from the main screen of the forum.

I got really good information on the disabled forum when I traveled with my daughter. She had 3 years of treatment for terminal cancer that limited her strength & walking. The last couple cruises we took a wheelchair so she'd have that to use when she needed to sit down or rest or was too tired to walk any further.

Archived