GCT Discounts

PCruzer

Seems to me that we have not received nearly the number of discount postcards from GCT this year. Last year they discounted the Rhine & Mosel River cruise for September in May. Has anyone seen any discounts lately for any GCT river cruises in September? I am looking for the Seine: Honfleur to Paris. Thanks!

I've been booked on their Rhine River trip leaving the end of August for almost a year. I recently checked their most current prices and they are currently $500 less per person. Even though it is still 4 months before the cruise, GCT was not willing to provide me with any price reduction. I could cancel my reservation and rebook, but with the fees involved it would come out about the same.

I've been booked on their Rhine River trip leaving the end of August for almost a year. I recently checked their most current prices and they are currently $500 less per person. Even though it is still 4 months before the cruise, GCT was not willing to provide me with any price reduction. I could cancel my reservation and rebook, but with the fees involved it would come out about the same.

I ran into that with GCT on our first river cruise with them. We had booked in February for September. Sometime after that the price went down substantially. I did cancel and rebook because it was still less money that way. I had incorrectly assumed that they would just make the change because it was before final payment. I was wrong.

We did GCT's Rhine and Mosel River cruise last September. We loved everything about it. The River Harmony was in great shape and was kept spotlessly clean. The food in the dining room was excellent with plenty of choices. We would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Enjoy your trip!

GCT is not discounting as early this year because they have less ships. Two years ago they had 3 more than today. The Seine trip usually only discounts 4-6 weeks in advance since they is only one ship with 60 cabins available.

As for the price reductions after you book. The practice of only allowing these lower prices on new bookings is common on many river cruise lines. The early bookings give you the best choice of dates and cabins. I always book from 4 -8 weeks in advance to get the best prices. Many people who have to schedule month in advance cannot take advantage of the late discounts.

GCT is not discounting as early this year because they have less ships. Two years ago they had 3 more than today.

I didn't realize that there are fewer ships. Has GCT sold 3 ships, or have they just taken them out of service? Do you happen to know which 3 ships are not being used? Thanks for the information.

Don't know about GCT but we had to rebook the AMA cruise that we missesd because of the volcano. When I went to rebook, I found out that they were discounting the price by $1000 per person. WOW!! This was for real because we had paid the higher price originally and they really did give this discount when we rebooked. It made it almost worth missing the cruise and rebooking. It is my understanding, however, that if you book at a higher price and then they offer a discount, they won't give you the discount after the fact. We did buy the "cancel for any reason insurance" because of the volcano, however, so I guess if the savings was enough to compensate for that and purchasing new insurance, it would be worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone on another thread (that I can't find now) offered their number so new bookings can get a $50 discount. I read on the GCT website that if you recommend someone you get a discount too.

Anyone that's a member please let me know your number. We both win. Thanks

Me again.

How soon do these cruises book out and when do discounts normally come in? Not sure whether to wait for cheaper price but there's a risk that it will get sold out. Decisions, decisions.

We are leaving on our 3rd GCT trip in a couple of weeks. We did Egypt, Rhine and Mosel and now we are off to Russia. We have always booked early to get the dates and cabin we want. We are talking about waiting till the last minute for our next trip just to see how that works. Please email me at papabauer at gmail.com if you would like my customer number for the discount (I think it is $100 per person, not $50) and I will be happy to give it to you. As you say, we both win. We love river cruising and GCT has done a great job for us so far. So whenever you book, ENJOY!

Larry

Seems to me that we have not received nearly the number of discount postcards from GCT this year. Last year they discounted the Rhine & Mosel River cruise for September in May. Has anyone seen any discounts lately for any GCT river cruises in September? I am looking for the Seine: Honfleur to Paris. Thanks!

If you are able to book on short notice this is the way to go with GCT.

We have just completed a 14 day river cruise on the Rhine and Mosel rivers with GCT.

I booked 12 days before departure and the total cost including air for 2 was $6162.76 for a balcony cabin on the Serenade deck.

The following link may help some with discounts that are being offered.

GCT discounts

• 2 weeks later...
If you are able to book on short notice this is the way to go with GCT.

We have just completed a 14 day river cruise on the Rhine and Mosel rivers with GCT.

I booked 12 days before departure and the total cost including air for 2 was $6162.76 for a balcony cabin on the Serenade deck.

The following link may help some with discounts that are being offered.

GCT discounts

When you do it the last minute do you get terrible flights, seats on planes?

When you do it the last minute do you get terrible flights, seats on planes?

I can only relay our experience with last minute booking.

I started our booking April 26th. Only 12 days before departure on May 7. We didn’t have a confirmed booking until April 28. This was because of uncertainty about air reservations. They worked out much better than I was expecting. We didn’t have seats together on the Miami to Atlanta portion. By booking so late that wasn’t unexpected. Being able to leave Miami at 1:30 in the afternoon on Friday was an achievement in its self. It’s only a two hour flight, so that’s not bad. Our layover was 2 hours for our flight to Brussels. Our seat assignment for that flight wasn’t bad. We had seats together on the aisle. Coming back we had to get seats assigned at the airport in Basel for the flight to Paris. They were both together, aisle and window We had been assigned seats for the flight from Paris to Miami. Those seats were the same as our flight from Atlanta to Brussels.

All in all it wasn’t bad at all. Going changed planes in Atlanta with a two hour layover. Coming back changed planes in Paris with a two hour layover.

We are leaving on our 3rd GCT trip in a couple of weeks. We did Egypt, Rhine and Mosel and now we are off to Russia. We have always booked early to get the dates and cabin we want. We are talking about waiting till the last minute for our next trip just to see how that works. Please email me at papabauer at gmail.com if you would like my customer number for the discount (I think it is $100 per person, not $50) and I will be happy to give it to you. As you say, we both win. We love river cruising and GCT has done a great job for us so far. So whenever you book, ENJOY!

Larry

Larry if you are still looking for the discount when you call to book you can us my #1064870 yes we both win.

Good Luck Eleanor

Please email me at papabauer at gmail.com if you would like my customer number for the discount (I think it is $100 per person, not $50) and I will be happy to give it to you. As you say, we both win. We love river cruising and GCT has done a great job for us so far. So whenever you book, ENJOY!

Larry

Larry if you are still looking for the discount when you call to book you can us my #1064870 yes we both win.

Good Luck Eleanor

I think you may have miss read Larry’s post. He ask if anyone would like his customer number and to e-mail him if they would like it.

I think you may have miss read Larry’s post. He ask if anyone would like his customer number and to e-mail him if they would like it.

Yes I did read it wrong. It is only 50.00 pp for the new booking credit. We used a friends # and they got alot more credit. Paying cash not credit card they gave 100.00 towards tours.

Eleanor

I've done "Last Minute" cruises the past two years with GCT. Last year I did the Rhine and Mosel for the second time and the cost was about half of what I paid the first time. However, I was in the bottom of the boat this time. The year before I went on the Paris to Normandy cruise. Both times we booked about 3-4 weeks a head of time. The French cruise we ended up with a balcony cabin for the same price as a lower one and much discounted. You just have to take a chance and watch the last minute deals on their web site. Or be on their mailing list and get last minute deals by email.

I just booked a cruise with Vantage today because of a great deal offered by an email. It does pay to get on their mailing lists.

Archived