Nafplion half day morning visit

hxl2001

We have a 1/2 day morning (7am -1pm) stop in Nafplion while on the NCL Gem cruise.

I've read that Nafplion is a picturesque small town with interesting small shops and restaurants. It sounds like it comes to life in the evening when people are eating at the local restaurants.

I'm trying to decide if this would be a good port to just walk around for a few hours (after a couple of busy days in Athens and Ephesus), and possibly visit the Palamidi Fortress. Or will 'everything' will be closed in the morning and it would be better to arrange a 1/2 day tour to Mycenae or Epidaurus.

Has anyone visited Nafplion recently, during the morning, and have any recommendations?

We have a 1/2 day morning (7am -1pm) stop in Nafplion while on the NCL Gem cruise.

I've read that Nafplion is a picturesque small town with interesting small shops and restaurants. It sounds like it comes to life in the evening when people are eating at the local restaurants.

I'm trying to decide if this would be a good port to just walk around for a few hours (after a couple of busy days in Athens and Ephesus), and possibly visit the Palamidi Fortress. Or will 'everything' will be closed in the morning and it would be better to arrange a 1/2 day tour to Mycenae or Epidaurus.

Has anyone visited Nafplion recently, during the morning, and have any recommendations?

Nauplion is my favorite place in southern Greece.Beautiful picturesque town loaded with history.

The morning is well suited for the climb up the Venetian fortress.

Spectacular views and loads of history.

The part of town underneath the fortress is wonderful to walk through.

There are some hidden treasures there(churches,etc),if you see one just go in.

It will make for a wonderful stroll and by the time you get there, all should be open.

Its a real tough call when asked to chose between the town and the ancient sites to the north.

Totally different experience at Epidaurus and or Mycenae.

I never understood the logic of 7-1 type itineraries at any destination.

They are probably trying to force us to take the ship offered tours.

Personally I would prefer the tour only if it did both Epidaurus and Mycynae.

I just don't see it happening in such a sort time frame.

Nauplion is my favorite place in southern Greece.Beautiful picturesque town loaded with history.

The morning is well suited for the climb up the Venetian fortress.

Spectacular views and loads of history.

The part of town underneath the fortress is wonderful to walk through.

There are some hidden treasures there(churches,etc),if you see one just go in.

It will make for a wonderful stroll and by the time you get there, all should be open.

Its a real tough call when asked to chose between the town and the ancient sites to the north.

Totally different experience at Epidaurus and or Mycenae.

I never understood the logic of 7-1 type itineraries at any destination.

They are probably trying to force us to take the ship offered tours.

Personally I would prefer the tour only if it did both Epidaurus and Mycynae. I just don't see it happening in such a sort time frame.

This is an excellent summary of your many, great options during this port stop. BUT, it's a short stop, given all of the travel logistics, etc. Agree that a 7 am to 1 pm port schedule is goofy. That timing makes it harder to do it on your own or independent of a ship tour. Here are some visuals samples on your many nice options in this port.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor:

Nap.jpg

In Nafplion, there is this view of the small fort out in the harbor and the main town:

NapIslandFort.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

Gr.jpg

I stayed overnight in Nafplion after our cruise last year. You have a difficult decision, but it is a slow town to wake up. We did a walking tour using Rick Steve's guide. It is a nice little town.

However, the day before we went to Mycenae and Epidaurus. We had a rental car. It is easy driving and I would suggest you rent a car and go there. You can see both in half a day. Get or take a GPS. Ours worked well.

As much as I love Mycenae and Epidavros, and recommend them highly, with such a short time I would either take a ship's tour (if it goes to both), or stay in Napflion. It is truly charming, and will be fresh and not so hot in the morning. As someone else said, good time of day to climb up to the fortress. Stores should be open later in the morning, although many close for lunch, as i remember.

We just walked around the town last week. It was lovely. Many shops didn't open until 10, but we found a beautiful jewelry store that was open and as we were looking in the window, the owner came out with a 20% off coupon. I found the most beautiful ring there. DH bought it for me for Mother's Day. I love it! Also at what looked like a post card store, in the back were clothes and I bought a dress right off the mannequin. All were reasonable and great souvenirs for me.

Archived