Enchanting Danube-Budapest question

Jesterscourt

On the River Beatrice Passau to Budapest itinerary, am I correct in assuming the ship arrives at Budapest in the morning, and then stays overnight for passengers to disembark the next morning? We are trying to plan a concert or opera and want to make sure we are there overnight. Of course, there is also the option of staying an extra night on our own. In terms of getting off the ship, getting your luggage to a hotel, and leaving for the airport the next day (not using Uniworld's optional extension) is there a favorite place that is convenient and interesting that folks who have been there would recommend? On the surface, it seems that the Hilton that Uniworld uses, is in a pretty good location. If it's anything like their location in Berlin, it would be phenomenal.

I hope you get to at least spend the night. If possible, try to stay an extra day so you can enjoy this beautiful city. If possible, try to go to the very beautiful opera house. If not for a performance, at least try to do a tour. It worth the visit. Here are a couple of pics.

Dan_IMG_7221.jpg

Dan_IMG_7127.jpg

We are staying two nights after our AMA cruise ends in Budapest. We will have one day there also with the cruise. Hope this is enough to see everything. We are staying at the K+K Hotel Opera, quite close to the Opera House. It is a European (I think) chain which comes highly recommended and is said to be in a central location, near the transportation system. We will stay in a big chain 5-star in Prague with the cruise, so we wanted something a little more European than an international chain for our nights in Budapest. My recommendations are, at this point, only hearsay....won't know for sure until July.

Yes Steve, the River Beatrice spends the night in Budapest. The Captain will sail around the harbor after dark for you to see the bridges, city, and buildings all beautifully lit up. It is spectacular to view with your special significant other up on the Sun Deck under the stars and perhaps a full moon (as was the case with my cruise). Quite romantic...

We returned on 5/2 from the Budapest to Passau cruise and stayed 2 nights prior to the cruise at the Hilton. I would highly recommend it. If you are fortunate enough to get a room on the upper levels of the hotel facing the Danube the view is spectacular. We booked directly with the hotel and were very happy with the stay there--good service, good food, and great location in the UNESCO area of Budapest.

We returned on 5/2 from the Budapest to Passau cruise and stayed 2 nights prior to the cruise at the Hilton. I would highly recommend it. If you are fortunate enough to get a room on the upper levels of the hotel facing the Danube the view is spectacular. We booked directly with the hotel and were very happy with the stay there--good service, good food, and great location in the UNESCO area of Budapest.

We are doing the same thing as you cruisegal. We leave on Fri. Do you have any restaurant recommendations? Where should we eat breakfast and especially dinner?

Any other tips or things we should know for Budapest or for the ship would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure we're talking about the Hilton in Castle Hill? The guide books rave about that hotel! Were you able to negotiate a good rate directly with them (i.e. a Uniworld discount?). On a post-cruise stay, would Uniworld provide transportation from the ship to the Hilton even if you don't use their post-cruise extension since they are going there anyway?

We are doing the same thing as you cruisegal. We leave on Fri. Do you have any restaurant recommendations? Where should we eat breakfast and especially dinner?

Any other tips or things we should know for Budapest or for the ship would be greatly appreciated.

We were just there, and we ate at Cafe Kor and Mensa and loved both of them.

We stayed (on our own) at the Hilton on Castle Hill and loved it. It's built into the site of an old abbey, and you can see the old walls. Pretty views of the river, parliament building, etc. An easy taxi fare from almost anywhere. It's next door to Matthias Church and the Fisherman's bastion, which was nice after the daytime crowds left. You can walk to the funicular and take it down the bridge over the Danube. Nice breakfast but expensive, so try to get it included.

So Cruisegal and GBPack, it sounds like you stayed on the quieter Buda side of the river; it seems that there are more crowds and sights on the Pest side. Reminds me of the Mala

Strana (Lesser Town) vs. Old Town-New Town side of the Charles Bridge situation in Prague! I have never been to Budapest so let me know if I have this perspective right. Granny I also like the idea of K+K Opera to be near the opera house. They also have 2 K+K's in Prague so it seems to be a chain. MVP, are you in Boynton Beach in S. FL? Have been to the area many times and live in Orlando. I happen to love opera and especially European Opera Houses. I hope you all get to see the Semperoper in Dresden. Thank you all for the quality information. Any suggestions on how we can stay warm on a mid-November Danube River Cruise? Steven

So Cruisegal and GBPack, it sounds like you stayed on the quieter Buda side of the river; it seems that there are more crowds and sights on the Pest side. Reminds me of the Mala

Strana (Lesser Town) vs. Old Town-New Town side of the Charles Bridge situation in Prague! I have never been to Budapest so let me know if I have this perspective right. Granny I also like the idea of K+K Opera to be near the opera house. They also have 2 K+K's in Prague so it seems to be a chain. MVP, are you in Boynton Beach in S. FL? Have been to the area many times and live in Orlando. I happen to love opera and especially European Opera Houses. I hope you all get to see the Semperoper in Dresden. Thank you all for the quality information. Any suggestions on how we can stay warm on a mid-November Danube River Cruise? Steven

Steven,

Yes we are in Boynton Beach; which is also why I don't have any suggestions on how to keep warm in mid-November on the Danube. :D

The K+K, from what I can figure out, is a European chain...at least, that's what we are hoping. We didn't want to go completely local but didn't want an international chain either. It's highly recommended on the TripAdvisor Budapest site.

On the TripAdvisor Budapest forum, several have recommended attending an opera at the Opera House rather than just taking the tour. Reportedly not very expensive.

I'm sure we're talking about the Hilton in Castle Hill? The guide books rave about that hotel! Were you able to negotiate a good rate directly with them (i.e. a Uniworld discount?). On a post-cruise stay, would Uniworld provide transportation from the ship to the Hilton even if you don't use their post-cruise extension since they are going there anyway?

Is there anywhere else to eat breakfast that's more reasonable close by within walking distance. I don't believe our breakfast is included.

Archived