Tell me what's great to eat on Disney!

Sea Hag

We've booked our first cruise on Disney, and I'm wondering about the food on the Wonder and how it stacks up against other cruiselines.

What're your favorites on Disney? What're your not-so-favorites? Anything that simply shouldn't be missed?

I have been on 2 DCL cruises. All the food is good, but I LOVED the chicken tenders on Deck 9. They were so good. I know it seems sad that I picked the chicken tenders as my favorite, but they were. I could eat those all day. :)

the food is wonderful...the banana bread and the banana bread pudding are wonderful. Loved the shrimp on the embarkation. The restaurant that we liked the least was the one we looked forward to the most....animators palate. Parrot cay or what ever it was was wonderful. You will love the servers the entire crew. It is a great experience.

Thanks for the replies. Bread pudding of just about any type or description is a favorite of mine, so that's good to know about the banana brea pudding. Yum! :)

Chicken tenders a favorite? Sometimes it happens that way; the simplest thing is the best. I'll have to try these.

We were on the Magic, so the restaurant names might be slightly different... Palo's had amazing steak and also Halibut. The Mickey Mouse Ice Cream bars was one of my personal favorites... yeah, I know.

If you love ice cream, they have the self-serve soft-serve on deck nine starboard. My tip is to get a large cup from the port side soda fountain, and then fill that sucker up with ice cream!

DW's was the Lobster Tail (double).

• 1 month later...

Everything! I find the food on Magic and Wonder to be superb. I recommend going with the chef specials and suggestions they have nightly, they're usually the best of the best. The Pina Colada mix they use is the best I've had - ever. I'm always really impressed that they do the classics really well, the seafood is always good. I also suggest doing breakfast and lunch some days in one of the main dining rooms like Lumiere's or Animators Palate, the sit down service is really excellent and relaxing as a change of pace from the buffets.

• 3 weeks later...

other than Palo and Goofys grill ( AMAZING wraps) i actually was VERY disappointed in the overall food.

in most cases my main entree was downright not good. the cold soups were VERY good and I never had a bad appetizer.. but main course and desert fell far short of my mark, even factoring in mass prepared food.

I agree BRUNCH is excellent.

Been on many Disney cruises, to be truthful entrees in Dining Rooms are kind of a hit or miss thing. I think you'll find this true with all cruiselines.

The head chef is the key factor, I've found that the best food is when the chef is from France.

If you love ice cream, they have the self-serve soft-serve on deck nine starboard. My tip is to get a large cup from the port side soda fountain, and then fill that sucker up with ice cream!

That's the right attitude! Very good idea. :)

I agree the ice cream taste so good. Can I add that you could make a soda float too, YUMMY! The chicken tenders make a good partner with that float.

Oh how I wish I was crusing with Disney instead of Royal Caribbean in Nov, Disney does it all so well.

I always feel that Animator's Palate is my least favorite of the three dining rooms, yet we always come out of there stuffed with good food:

Veal Chop with with Roasted Red Bliss Potatoes:

DSC02001.JPG

I think this was the Lemon Thyme Marinated Chicken Breast:

DSC02002.JPG

I can't remember the offical name, but this beef tenderloin was outstanding:

DSC02003.JPG

And the Butternut Squash soup is always excellent:

DSC01998.JPG

I don't have any pictures from Parrot Cay, but the banana bread is to die for. I usually order the Mixed Grill, a plate that has a small serving of everything: sirloin steak, lamb chop, and bacon-wrapped sausage. I also like the crab dip appetizer, though some others of our party did not care for it at all.

In Triton's we liked the Escargot, Beef Tenderloin (different from the above picture) as well as the Lamb Shank, and one of our party enjoyed the Sea Bass. We did not like the Lobster Macaroni - we've had it other places that we felt do it better, with different pasta and amounts of cheese. However, we loved the Triton's Sweet Temptations:

DSC02028.JPG

This is Praline Petite Choux, a mini Creme Brulee, and Chocolate Mousse. Yum!

From the buffet, if you ever see the banana melon soup, try it! It is the only cold soup I have ever instantly loved. Also, the breakfast buffet has great corned beef hash.

I've been on three Disney cruises, and five Carnival, so I can only compare those. And the following comparisons are in no way complaints - I have never had a problem finding great food on either line! That said, here are my OPINIONS:

Disney's pizza is fine, but Carnival's is much better.

There are plenty of good things on Carnival's breakfast buffet, but Disney's is much better.

Poolside grill - it's a tie. Both have good hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. Disney has tacos but Carnival has nachos.

Deli Sandwiches - Carnival has outstanding sandwiches. I've only had one on Disney, but it was very good. So we'll call it a tie, for now.

Lunch buffet - now, if you are comparing strictly to the Carnival Taste of Nations buffet, Disney wins hands down. However, now that Carnival has included individual stations such as fish & chips, pasta bar, mexican/burrito bar, and mongolian chinese, Carnival gets the edge here.

Dining room dinners - Overall, Carnival is slightly better. However, there are some stand outs on the Disney menus, and like I said, always something to like!

Desserts - Carnival. Though I will say that the desserts served improved from good to very good on my last Disney cruise, maybe a better head chef? However, Carnival desserts are outstanding.

Well that was a long post! Thanks for letting me remember all the great food! :D

The last Disney cruise my DH & I went on was the Wonder 3 night. Our favorites were:

Tritons:

French Onion Soup

Tomato & Basil Soup

3 cheese lobster macaroni

Creme Brulee

Grand Marnier Souffle

Animators Palate:

Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

Penne Pasta

Short Ribs

Parrot Cay: