Voyage of the darned - explorer 5/8/10

tooo funny! - guess we could have had ben share his pack n play! - for future ref - sofa bed in balcony - I think - opens to a full size bed - they had ours opened for ben when we attempted to go into our room that first night - stroller didn't even fit with it LOL

Hi John,

Thanks for the laughs and the review. I already miss your sense of humor! It was fun meeting you, Barbara and the Homeless Traveler........AKA Ralph (and of course, the rest of the crew).

Nancy

Hi John,

Thanks for the laughs and the review. I already miss your sense of humor! It was fun meeting you, Barbara and the Homeless Traveler........AKA Ralph (and of course, the rest of the crew).

Nancy

Not THE infamous Nancy????

YumPo,

I do like your lower avitar. GO PENS too. This cruise was fantastic. All the CC folks just added to the total package, including the "homeless one". We had so much fun on this ship we rebooked for Sept and DS a b2b in Oct.

Thoroughly enjoyed your review!

My husband does not read cruise critic but I told him to read about your travel home.

We had very minor problems coming home from Rome in early May because of the ash delaying our plane coming into Rome and, hence, leaving Rome. Nothing in comparison to what you went through with your paper chase. American Airlines gave us a hotel room when we couldn't make our connections in New York. I think I would have been suicidal if I had to sleep in the airport after all you went through. When all was done, we were only 12 hours later getting home than we would have been AND we avoided a five hour layover in Chicago.

Tucker in Texas

Glad you got him involved Tucker. You should go read about "The Great Wait" at the end of my Alaska Journal.

Tim, you are obviously an educated and well read person. Knowing both Hunter Thompason and Ayn Rand says something about you, but I'm not exactly sure what.:p

Thoroughly enjoyed your review!

My husband does not read cruise critic but I told him to read about your travel home.

We had very minor problems coming home from Rome in early May because of the ash delaying our plane coming into Rome and, hence, leaving Rome. Nothing in comparison to what you went through with your paper chase. American Airlines gave us a hotel room when we couldn't make our connections in New York. I think I would have been suicidal if I had to sleep in the airport after all you went through. When all was done, we were only 12 hours later getting home than we would have been AND we avoided a five hour layover in Chicago.

Tucker in Texas

I also had my husband read the review, and he thought it was fantastic. Most of the time, he believes Cruise Critic to be a waste of my time!

YumPo,

I do like your lower avitar. GO PENS too. This cruise was fantastic. All the CC folks just added to the total package, including the "homeless one". We had so much fun on this ship we rebooked for Sept and DS a b2b in Oct.

Hi MedicKen, good to see another from my hometown! I absolutely agree-- GO PENS-- the Cup in 2011!! Game seven against the Habs broke my heart. Maybe someday we'll be on the same cruise -- it would be great.

Radio, since you sailed the explorer at least twice now, can you give up her secrets?

Or did you do that in yet another thread?

I'll be sailing on the 9/11 Expolorer and would love to know her secrets!:confused:

Thanks, Donna

Who is Sailor Jack and when is her cruising again?? :)

Thank you to everyone else. Glad y'all enjoyed it.

Sailor Jack writes much like you--or you write a lot like he does--very enjoyable and funny reading. Here is a link to one of his reviews:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=797459&highlight=sailorjack

Thanks Truffles. He's hysterical. Now I've gotta go find more of his stuff.

Here you go....I saved them!

Reviews

Vision of the Seas: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=979928

Dream/Nightmare: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ght=sailorjack

Jewel: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=797459&highlight=sailorjack

Galaxy:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891464

ADDENDUM:

Another thread reminded me of a couple of things I failed to mention in my initial review:

As I mentioned, I'm HYPER sensitive to motion sickness but I also seem to be able to reverse the laws of physics. My new drug regime (meclizine, scopolomine, ginger gum and Tenesee sour mash whiskey) kept things in check pretty well but I did feel it a few times. The odd part is that I felt it worst on the lower decks (think Schooner Bar) and much less in my cabin (8th deck). This is exactly backwards from what should happen. My wife's reaction was "so your backwards, what else is new?".

Music in the public areas must have been designed to make you think you were in that elevator that you couldn't get on.

Along Deck 4 the musical genres ranged from "Holiday Inn Lounge Lizard" all the way to "Funeral Parlor Background". Two examples that come to mind were a group doing Beatle songs arranged for piano, clarinet and accordion. My friends and I kept trying to imagine John and Paul fighting over who would play the accordion on their album. Walk a bit forward and you run into what we nicknamed "Deaf Guys with a Cat". The "Cat" was a woman singer doing her best but singing in what we assume was the Key of "Q" and the rest of the band ignoring her and playing three different songs all at the same time.

To be fair, there was one band of older Asian guys who were excellent but, apparently in deference to their age, they were always done and gone by midnight. Guys, if you're the only music for live people on the ship, sleep a little later and chug your Metamucil at 1:00 AM with the rest of us.

So there are a couple more points of review for youse.

Hi guy! But you have to admit some of the men doing kareoke (sp) were GREAT. Especially the tall one with the dark mousteche and the shorter one with the seasoned (salt & pepper) one.

What's Liz saying, you're considering an Epic vacation? I tried looking on their web site, what a trail.

Archived