Back From Alaska on the Pearl

sd200044

We sailed to Alaska on the Pearl May 9th.

Let me start by saying, everything we heard about an Alaskan cruise was true. It was Beautiful !!!!

A BIG Thank You to Cruise Critic for all the information we got for this trip and for putting us in touch with some AWESOME people that we met on the Roll Call before our cruise and were able to meet in person on the ship. I feel like we have made some friends for life.

Let me get to the cruise itself:

We had been cruising mostly on Carnival for the majority of our cruises. So for the most part this is how I will compare.

Embarkation and Dbarkation - For us this was the easiest time we have ever had. We got right on the ship with little or no waiting and we got right off. We were off before 830 in the morning. We had our luggage before the safety drill.

The Cabin - We had a Balcony cabin - smaller than Carnival. Bathroom was nice but so small why did they try and seperate the toilet from the shower. No point. Balcony was same size as CCL.

FOOD - The buffet was better in my opinion than CCL. The MDR was not even close to Carnival. The variety and selection is much better on CCL. I did like the Blue Lagoon for bar food. The Wings were great. Went to Cagney's one night and the Specialty Steak house on CCL was way better. I have eaten at some very upscale Steak Houses over the years and the Steak House on CCL was in par with these other places.

Shows & Stuff to Do - Very good on the Pearl. I like the fact that they have variety from different places. On CCL they have the same shows on all their ships and they are a little cheesy. With NCL they were more artistic. There has never been in a lounge on a CCL Ship that I wanted to hang out in for any extended amount of time, on the Pearl there were a couple including Bliss which had a bowling Ally and a live rock band playing along with couches and plush beds. This club was Awesome.

Extra Awesome - The week long Spa Pass for $99 - This was so worth it, from the warm spa pool to the warm tile benches, the steam rooms, the sauna with an amazing view. The plush chairs with another amazing view. It was so worth it. Better than anything on CCL.

Bottom Line - This is only my opinion. I would cruise NCL again and will because I put a deposit on a future cruise. That being said, we are not done with CCL. We still like Carnival as well.

I loved it as well :)

We were stuck in the embarkation at about 11:45. Took us 2 hours :eek:

Loved the spa too. Almost my favorite part...other than Glacier Bay!

I loved it so much, I'm dragging my husband along next year :o (went with the girls this time) :o

We sailed to Alaska on the Pearl May 9th.

Let me start by saying, everything we heard about an Alaskan cruise was true. It was Beautiful !!!!

A BIG Thank You to Cruise Critic for all the information we got for this trip and for putting us in touch with some AWESOME people that we met on the Roll Call before our cruise and were able to meet in person on the ship. I feel like we have made some friends for life.

Let me get to the cruise itself:

We had been cruising mostly on Carnival for the majority of our cruises. So for the most part this is how I will compare.

Embarkation and Dbarkation - For us this was the easiest time we have ever had. We got right on the ship with little or no waiting and we got right off. We were off before 830 in the morning. We had our luggage before the safety drill.

The Cabin - We had a Balcony cabin - smaller than Carnival. Bathroom was nice but so small why did they try and seperate the toilet from the shower. No point. Balcony was same size as CCL.

FOOD - The buffet was better in my opinion than CCL. The MDR was not even close to Carnival. The variety and selection is much better on CCL. I did like the Blue Lagoon for bar food. The Wings were great. Went to Cagney's one night and the Specialty Steak house on CCL was way better. I have eaten at some very upscale Steak Houses over the years and the Steak House on CCL was in par with these other places.

Shows & Stuff to Do - Very good on the Pearl. I like the fact that they have variety from different places. On CCL they have the same shows on all their ships and they are a little cheesy. With NCL they were more artistic. There has never been in a lounge on a CCL Ship that I wanted to hang out in for any extended amount of time, on the Pearl there were a couple including Bliss which had a bowling Ally and a live rock band playing along with couches and plush beds. This club was Awesome.

Extra Awesome - The week long Spa Pass for $99 - This was so worth it, from the warm spa pool to the warm tile benches, the steam rooms, the sauna with an amazing view. The plush chairs with another amazing view. It was so worth it. Better than anything on CCL.

Bottom Line - This is only my opinion. I would cruise NCL again and will because I put a deposit on a future cruise. That being said, we are not done with CCL. We still like Carnival as well.

You said you were off the ship @ 8:30. What time did they dock, and start to let passengers off at Seattle? I take it you carried your bags off?

How does the spa work..does that include massages?

You said you were off the ship @ 8:30. What time did they dock, and start to let passengers off at Seattle? I take it you carried your bags off?

How does the spa work..does that include massages?

No, masssages are extra. Do NOT do this if you don't want high pressure sales tactics. I did this, and she tried to sell me $60/bottle lotions. Granted, they were specialty things for reflexology, etc. but still. I had a massage and she basically talked through the whole thing. I don't like confrontation:oso I didn't say anything at the time:o They will have specials toward the end...3 treatments for a low price, but I believe they're trying to sell products.

I believe they docked right before 8 am.....I was still in my cabin and not paying attention, so not too sure. I got off after 9:30 am...we had the crew calling our cabin telling us it was time to leave LOL

The ship actually docked @ 530 in Seattle. They let self assist off at 730, so yes we carried our bags off. In referance to the sales pitch for the Spa, not sure what that was referring too. We never had any of that. It was the best money spent. Just go see for yourself,but go early because they limit the passes. Read some of the other postings. People will tell you it was awesome.

I was there too. The only thing I hate on this cruise was on Junenu, lots of people was standing by the bus pickup by the pier and not going anywhere for a hour. Buffet wasn't that good to me, but wasn't bad either. I did try the shusi bar, and it's well worth the $15.

The ship actually docked @ 530 in Seattle. They let self assist off at 730, so yes we carried our bags off. In referance to the sales pitch for the Spa, not sure what that was referring too. We never had any of that. It was the best money spent. Just go see for yourself,but go early because they limit the passes. Read some of the other postings. People will tell you it was awesome.

"....No, masssages are extra. Do NOT do this if you don't want high pressure sales tactics..." is actually what I said above.

The spa was great, that isn't what I was referring to. The massage was a high-pressure sales pitch. She tried to sell me things, and didn't stop talking during most of the massage. Was not relaxing.

The SPA on the other hand, was the best thing. The heated tile beds, sauna and jacuzzi while watching the ocean ahhhhhhhh :)

Being off by 7:30 would be great..or at least by 8am, so we can eat breakfast first. I just want to get to the airport and get through security and then relax knowing I won't miss the flight. I had wanted a later one..but 11:30am was the latest without being a red eye to go home.

Thanks for you reviews so far! We're going on the same cruise in July and I wondered if you might share info about what shore excursions you did in the various ports? Also, any thoughts/tips/advice for first time cruisers about the ship, cruises in general, etc, would be much appreciated!! We'll be a party of 4 - Mom, Dad, & 2 sons ages 15 & 18.

Thanks for you reviews so far! We're going on the same cruise in July and I wondered if you might share info about what shore excursions you did in the various ports? Also, any thoughts/tips/advice for first time cruisers about the ship, cruises in general, etc, would be much appreciated!! We'll be a party of 4 - Mom, Dad, & 2 sons ages 15 & 18.

Did the Mendenhall Glacier/salmon bake (Juneau)WONDERFUL TOUR.

White Pass and yukon Train in Skagway. Same, would do it again.

Bering Sea Crab fishermen's Tour in Ketchikan. Would do that again too.

The Pearl is a beautiful ship, and I love it so much, I'm going for the 3rd time next year :o

Are you leaving from Seattle? Get to the port EEEEEARRRRRLY to avoid the line embarking the ship.

I would second the Mendenhall Glacier tour; it was excellent. We did a garden tour as well but right now I can't remember the name. It was through NCL although it wasn't the famous garden in Victoria, BC.

Archived