Maasdam balcony question

chicopaige

We have cabins 111 and 113 on the Maasdam for a cruise in June. Does anyone know the balcony set-up? Will we be able to visit while out on our balconies? How tall is the barrier? Can it be removed?

Each balcony will have a lounge chair, small cocktail table and 1 regular chair.

Now some ships have updated to having 2 chairs, 1 ottoman and 1 small cocktail table. Don't know if the Maasdam has gotten new furniture yet or not.

Got this picture from Joanie's site - Maasdam -- it appears that there is still the lounge chair:

-sm_aarep_CIMG1516.jpg

The barrier can't be removed, but the cabin steward can open a 'door' between the balconies for you.[/quote

Not on the Maasdam, Vista and Signature class ships, yes.

Here is a pic of some balconies on the Statendam, sister to Maasdam, showing the dividers. We've never had one, but it doesn't appear to me that there's any hinged section that can be opened.

Note that there is a gap below the wooden railing, so unlike the Vista/Signature balconies with the steel-wall railings, you can see the water while seated on these.

attachment.php?attachmentid=131603&d=1252690685

I know for certain that on all the S class ships -- for the Deluxe Suite cabins -- the partitions are solid -- nothing opens. I don't know anything about the A's and B's cabin categories. Studying John's picture -- I don't see a small door anywhere that could be opened..

I know for certain that on all the S class ships -- for the Deluxe Suite cabins -- the partitions are solid -- nothing opens. I don't know anything about the A's and B's cabin categories. Studying John's picture -- I don't see a small door anywhere that could be opened..

I just found a photo of S 005's partition, and no signs of any door or way to open it up.

Maasdam_S-005-Partition.jpg

I must say though, that is one huge verandah!!

Joanie

While it would have been nice to "open up" our two balconies it's all good. After all, we are schedulued to go on a great cruise after a wonderful train trip through Canada-in less than a month. One of our travelers is able to go, after having breast cancer surgery this past month. Makes a balcony issue seem pretty insignificant!:o

I just found a photo of S 005's partition, and no signs of any door or way to open it up.

Maasdam_S-005-Partition.jpg

I must say though, that is one huge verandah!!

Joanie

Yes -- that is why I said I know for certain that there is no partition on the Deluxe Verandah's on the S class ships -- we have sailed on all of them.

Yes -- the verandah's for the Deluxe Suite on both the S class and R class are the largest there is -- not counting the corner aft verandah's on the Vista class ships. They are very deep!!

While it would have been nice to "open up" our two balconies it's all good. After all, we are schedulued to go on a great cruise after a wonderful train trip through Canada-in less than a month. One of our travelers is able to go, after having breast cancer surgery this past month. Makes a balcony issue seem pretty insignificant!:o

Hope your friend is doing well since her surgery. This cruise will help her spirits!! It is a wonderful itinerary!!

Enjoy!!

Archived