Us issues warning for jamaica

JB Fort Lauderdale

It absolutely could spread to other areas, and probably will. Nothing will pressure the government more than going after tourists.

Jamaicans have no history of using violence against tourists to pressure the government. Your opinion is based on nothing whatsoever.

Look I just hope that Carnival does not Jump the Gun and cancel Jamaica and substitute it for Key West like they did to me last year with Cozumel and the H1N1. You have no choice but to accept the change... and that sucks for someone that lives in Miami!

I love Key West and visit often but I would hate that to be a stop on a cruise. Key West does not come alive until about sunset but the ships have to be gone by then.

So sorry that Jamaica is having such troubling times. My dh and I go every Spring to the southeast area of Jamaica to volunteer in medical clinics. We do fly into Kingston, but head out to the area near Morant Bay. The people there are very poor and have no idea what the tourist areas are like. They are gracious and thankful and we love going there. We have also been to Ocho Rios and would not really care to return. The "real" Jamaica is not Ocho Rios, Negril or Montego Bay.

one post and you write off an entire country because YOU didn't feel safe. What did the natives do to you? I've been there 6 times and never felt threatened. Going back again in Nov to a new port. Some people on the streets are annoying but on the whole the people are friendly. I've had more problems in some American cities. By the way, when you post here, please check your spelling and correct errors to show you are serious and know what you are talking about. Otherwise your just digging a HOLE for yourself. Just hit the edit button.

Review--American President Lines. --transpacific..Matson Navigation SFO-Honolulu..--USNS Troop SHIPs USNS E.D.PATRICK..USNS SULTAN...USNS BARRETT..USNS CORE..USNS HAITI VICTORY...USNS LONGVIEW... PFE FLYING DRAGON..USNS PERSEUS..worldcruise..USNS CORE.....all in the 60's--multiple Pacific ports...

NORWAY...more recent cruises include in the last 10 years....REGAL EMPRESS..repositioning transatlantic EMERALD PRINCESS eastbound4/08..repositioning westbound CROWN PRINCESS 9/08..Circle South America aboard CARNIVAL SPLENDOR2/09 -Alaska cruise aboard SUMMIT.. Caribbean...LIRICA 12/06---MAASDAM--LIRICA--NORWEGIAN PEARL..CONSTELLATION 11/08 ..MAASDAM 11/09. POESIA 3/10...EQUINOX.4/10..

After visiting Jamaica --Montego Bay & Ocho Rios several times over the past ten years, my only comment is instead of the familiar "No problem--maan", is "Forget about it!" I purposely avoid Caribbean bookings that contain Jamaica as destination ports. I have never felt comfortable on any of the excursions that were booked. A very strange, uncomfortable feeling was prevalent on each visit.

I've never stopped in Jamaica on a cruise, but I have stayed at an all-inclusive resort. I always felt safe both on and off the resort.

M Steve: Could we please not be so harsh? It isn't necessary to critique another person's editing when you obviously cannot edit either. You might want to go back and hit the edit button again, so we can take you seriously.

M Steve: "By the way, when you post here, please check your spelling and correct errors to show you are serious and know what you are talking about. Otherwise your just digging a HOLE for yourself. Just hit the edit button."

• 2 weeks later...

We did it last week and it was so much fun. We had a total of 10 in our party with the youngest being 8 years old. Our river guide was "Tammy" the only female guide up the river. Ask for her if you can.

My Mom was watching from the terrace and said we had the best guide as she watch some of the other groups go by.

Plan on getting wet! Bring along a underwater camera and the guides will take pictures for you. I didn't realize that Carnival was even there taking pictures too until the next day and we saw the pictures. I thought it was a a vendor who was trying to get us to buy pictures (Cheaper to take your own)

Very safe and we even ended up walking out through vendors even though our regular tour guide (name also Tammy) told us to walk out the same way we walked in. It was all good.:D

We did it last week and it was so much fun. We had a total of 10 in our party with the youngest being 8 years old. Our river guide was "Tammy" the only female guide up the river. Ask for her if you can.

My Mom was watching from the terrace and said we had the best guide as she watch some of the other groups go by.

Plan on getting wet! Bring along a underwater camera and the guides will take pictures for you. I didn't realize that Carnival was even there taking pictures too until the next day and we saw the pictures. I thought it was a a vendor who was trying to get us to buy pictures (Cheaper to take your own)

Very safe and we even ended up walking out through vendors even though our regular tour guide (name also Tammy) told us to walk out the same way we walked in. It was all good.:D

Did you book an excursion through Carnival or do it on your own? We want to climb the falls, but don't want any of the other outings that Carnival pairs with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just because Kingston has high crime and travel warnings does not mean you need to avoid Jamaica entirely.

I live in Michigan, 1.5 hours from Detroit ... When I go to a Tigers game with my husband, I feel very unsafe driving through Detroit and I would NEVER get out of my car and walk around. My point is ... that doesn't stop me from living in Michigan - I just choose not to live in Detroit.

Every single country (or state) is going to have "good areas" and "bad areas". If you let that stop you from traveling then you should never leave home. Where do you live? I bet I can find an area within a couple hours of your house that you wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the street in.

Think smart people.:rolleyes:

Just because Kingston has high crime and travel warnings does not mean you need to avoid Jamaica entirely.

I live in Michigan, 1.5 hours from Detroit ... When I go to a Tigers game with my husband, I feel very unsafe driving through Detroit and I would NEVER get out of my car and walk around. My point is ... that doesn't stop me from living in Michigan - I just choose not to live in Detroit.

Every single country (or state) is going to have "good areas" and "bad areas". If you let that stop you from traveling then you should never leave home. Where do you live? I bet I can find an area within a couple hours of your house that you wouldn't feel comfortable walking down the street in.

Think smart people.:rolleyes:

I somewhat agree with your comments. We have the same situations in Baltimore Maryland USA. There are areas in West Baltimore that I will not drive through. I know its not safe. I have lived in Baltimore for over 50 years. I know Baltimore and I know what areas to avoid. I don't know Jamaica. I've only been there once for only about 8 hours. I don't know what areas to avoid. Reading a few posts on cruise critic does not make me knowledgeable enough to bet my health and welfare on making a mistake and turning down a street that I should have avoided. My gut tells me to avoid Jamaica because I don't know where the malcontents may assemble on any given day.

Please feel free to enjoy Jamaica as you wish. I'll err on the safe side.

I don't know Jamaica. I've only been there once for only about 8 hours. I don't know what areas to avoid. Reading a few posts on cruise critic does not make me knowledgeable enough to bet my health and welfare on making a mistake and turning down a street that I should have avoided. My gut tells me to avoid Jamaica because I don't know where the malcontents may assemble on any given day.

Please feel free to enjoy Jamaica as you wish. I'll err on the safe side.

If you are afraid of Jamaica then you should stay away. I do wonder how many people anywhere,not just Jamaica, become victims of crime by turning down the wrong street ? Not many I would imagine.

I spend a bit of time in Jamaica and can tell you that fear is one emotion I have never experienced there. A variety of other emotions but never fear. But that's just me, we are all different.

Jamaica has all kinds of negative issues to deal with, but the children I work with make me forget about all those things and bring me the type of joy that will never be matched by any cruise port.

410278527_heNaS-L.jpg

163608319_F76Py-L.jpg

427813706_YQ2tn-L.jpg

163609569_WBX29-L.jpg

We're not afraid of the children.

You don't need to be afraid of the adults either. Rather, just practice the same precautions that you would in any major US city. When interacting with locals, be firm, but not arrogant, and always speak with respect; do not behave in a fearful manner. In some locales (such as in Rome, pick-pockets) it is the children you need to be wary of.

Archived