Us issues warning for jamaica

JB Fort Lauderdale

When aboard a cruise ship that stops in Ocho Rios, we feel very comfortable staying within the fenced/guarded area to the right as you exit the immediate port area. The current situation reinforces our belief that in other Jamaican ports discretion and common sense should prevail.

I think that should be the case in any port.

I agree with (Sunseeker 09), every big city has bad areas and we seem to have no problem hearing on the news about the murders, kidnapping. Jamaica has always had the bad names, and its not right, being I traveled all of the Caribbean islands, there are even worse island than Jamaica, and lets not talk about Mexico.

Mexicans are even pushier than Jamaicans, I was never pushed as much as I was in Mexico, and believe it or not FIJI. So just use your common sense no matter where you go and do not stop going to Jamaica its beautiful.

Latest reports from Kingston is that roads have been blocked primarily in West Kingston by residents. In Spanish Town armed men have blocked a major road and bridge that is the link between Montego Bay and Kingston. On Sunday two police officers and six others were wounded in a shooting near the international airport. Heavy gunfire has been reported. Today is a Jamaica holiday so the US Embassy is closed. They are expected to open tomorrow with limited service. The reason for this latest uprising is that the US is attempting to have a drug kingpin extradited to the US for trial.

In short, go at your own risk and stay away from Kingston.

Back in '83, DH and I spent a week in Rose Hall. The minute we walked off the property,

whether on the beach or the road, we were accosted by people offer ganja. The only

way we could get rid of them was to get back onto Rose Hall Hotel property. We did

not feel threatened, just pestered.

The last few times I've been there, I have felt threatened. What was an atmosphere of

people trying to make a buck is now an atmosphere of belligerence. The people are, by

and large, dirt poor and getting desperate.

Hitting on female tourists is a whole different thing. Too many of them have come to

party in the past, so it's become a tradition to cozy up to women traveling without men.

Provocative clothing is not necessary to get this kind of unwanted attention.

DD and SIL were in a large group traveling on a shore excursion. Their friends were in

a separate van, and were robbed at gun and machete point. The van actually stopped

in the road when the men stepped out of the bushes, and the driver claimed later he

was afraid to go on. Every one of the cruisers in the van was robbed of money, watches,

and jewelry. This was 3 or 4 years ago, but DD said she's not going back.

Butch Stewart has tried so hard to make Jamaica a tourist destination with his

Sandals Resorts, but I don't know how long they'll be able to be safe destinations, either.

Having been to most of the ports in the Caribbean, I can say that Jamaica was the only one I thought was dangerous and disgusting. We certainly won't ever book a cruise that goes there. Fortunately more cruise lines are realizing what a dump Jamaica is and steering clear.

Can I ask how long ago this was? Based on the Walkman reference this could be 20 -25 years ago. While I am not a college aged woman, I didn't experience nor see anything like what have you described approx 20 years later (2003 or 2005). Did you experience the same life threatening harassment during the hour of your return trip to OR or the basic do you want a ride, buy my stuff type harassment?

This was in 1996. Yes, it was a long time ago, but having just looked at the Trip Advisor reviews of my resort, it seems nothing has changed.

And while I appreciate your belittling of my "life threatening harassment," maybe you'd feel different if it happened to you. We were college aged girls who went on vacation--not looking for crazy spring break stuff like in Negril, but just wanting a week away from school. If this had happened in my hometown of Chicago, or in beautiful Boston, I'd feel the same way about those places.

When I went back to Jamaica, I was with my BF. Clearly a bit different situation. But yes, we were harassed as well. That's why we spent a whole hour there. Why spend anymore time there than we have to?

Ditto... The usual total over reaction to Jamaica by people who want to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Nope, not the case AT ALL.

If I am given a choice of caribbean destinations to spend my hard earned dollars, why should I consider the barbed wire fortress mentality of Jamaica when there are so many other alternatives without the hassles and aggravation that seem to accompany any port of call on this island.

we took a private tour to Firefly, the vacation home of Noel Coward and had no problems. The car met us at the gate, took us there and then brought us back to port and waited for us while we shopped and had lunch. Can't recall being accosted in any way. The only problem was the prices offered at the mall were very high and when we got back to the gate, the DF shop there was about $5 per bottle cheaper for Appleton rums and they had the full assortment. This year they are stopping in Falmouth but I have no idea what is there.

As usual, people will take extreme opinions on one side or the other. The truth is usually in between. To act as if violence in Jamaica is no different than high crime areas in the U.S. is ridiculous. Yes, the violence is limited to Kinston, but that could very easily spread to other areas. It is chaotic and changing.

Jamaica has always been very fragile, and if this turns into a revolution, or even large groups of gangs roaming into other areas it could get bad. Worse yet, this can happen very quickly- before anyone has time to react. Want to make a statement? Attack toursit areas.

Now, with all that said, none of that is very likely to happen. Tourism is king, and the Jamaican Govt will do whatever they can to protect it, even if that requires outside help. True, the chances of anything happening are very small at this point.

Yet just because someone posts here that they were just in Jamaica and didn't have any issues, is frankly not even relevant. Many, many people have been to Iraq and came home to talk about it. Doesn't mean Iraq is a safe place right? Of course Jamaica is not Iraq, that's not the point. It's all about degree of danger. And Jamaica falls closer to Mexico at this point.

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong answer. We're all free to do whatever we want. Just don't be naive enough to believe that the dnagers in jamaica these days are no different than Chicago or Miami.

This was in 1996. Yes, it was a long time ago, but having just looked at the Trip Advisor reviews of my resort, it seems nothing has changed.

And while I appreciate your belittling of my "life threatening harassment," maybe you'd feel different if it happened to you. We were college aged girls who went on vacation--not looking for crazy spring break stuff like in Negril, but just wanting a week away from school. If this had happened in my hometown of Chicago, or in beautiful Boston, I'd feel the same way about those places.

When I went back to Jamaica, I was with my BF. Clearly a bit different situation. But yes, we were harassed as well. That's why we spent a whole hour there. Why spend anymore time there than we have to?

Belittling? It was a question. I was truly interested in if you had a similar experience while in port and am sorry that you had to go through something like that. However, that can make a difference for people researching ports and cruises. A 3 hour one way trip vs. a 5-10 minute walk to what is supposed to be a safe area can sway people in their decision making. Not sure why it was clearly a bit different situation as you didn't clearly outline that - I'm not sure the level or type of harassment you experienced - you just said an hour of harassment. If you felt your life was in danger vs. hey lady take a ride in my cab. If you were offended by my question, can't help you there. You put the information out there.

p.s. I want to add that these threads are very enlightening and I am usually a Jamaica supporter and defender. We dock at Falmouth and being responsible for a large group and the activity on that day it is making me reconsider/evaluate what we will do in Jamaica. As mentioned I have not been there since 2005 so it is good to know recent experiences.

The latest today is at least 30 dead civilians, 25 hospitalized and 211 taken into custody. Civilians in their homes are afraid to come out and escape. Yes, it is in Kingston so far! The island is not that big.

My only port call in Mo Bay was in 2008 on the VOTS. I chose to stay on the ship. The amazing part was that at least 1/3 of my fellow pax made the same decision. Normally when I have stayed on for various reasons, the ship is like a ghost farm with no lines, crowding or chair hogs. While visiting Mo Bay the ship seemed much like a normal sea day with hundreds enjoying the amenities of the ship. Pax were voting with their feet and money.

To the defenders of this island I say more power to you and I hope you stay safe. For me never again. I don't have to take that kind of risk. I did not desire to visit Detroit when it was burning nor LA when watts was burning. It is a personal decision.

The latest today is at least 30 dead civilians, 25 hospitalized and 211 taken into custody. Civilians in their homes are afraid to come out and escape. Yes, it is in Kingston so far! The island is not that big.

My only port call in Mo Bay was in 2008 on the VOTS. I chose to stay on the ship. The amazing part was that at least 1/3 of my fellow pax made the same decision. Normally when I have stayed on for various reasons, the ship is like a ghost farm with no lines, crowding or chair hogs. While visiting Mo Bay the ship seemed much like a normal sea day with hundreds enjoying the amenities of the ship. Pax were voting with their feet and money.

To the defenders of this island I say more power to you and I hope you stay safe. For me never again. I don't have to take that kind of risk. I did not desire to visit Detroit when it was burning nor LA when watts was burning. It is a personal decision.

You say never again, but you never even got off the ship - so it isn't really again. Have you been on a land based vacation?

Death toll in Jamaica violence rises to 49, including 44 civilians killed in Kingston slum stormed by police - Reuters

Airlines on Monday canceled a number of flights to and from Kingston

Kingston is 35 miles from Ocho Rios.

We're on a cruise in August that stops in Jamaica. We have children and are concerned. Yes, we've been to OR many times. Some good, some bad.

Here is an article about what's happening:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704717004575268253857164996.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

If the cruise lines choose to skip Jamaica, where would they go? We're on a Western Cruise and only have 3 stops-Jamaica, Cayman and Cozumel.

If the cruise lines choose to skip Jamaica, where would they go? We're on a Western Cruise and only have 3 stops-Jamaica, Cayman and Cozumel.

An extra day at sea would suit me just fine.:D

You are absolutely right. The murder rate in Jamaica is 49 for every 100,000, while in America it is around 5. Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in America, but that is still only at 18 for Murder and non-negligent homicide.

It absolutely could spread to other areas, and probably will. Nothing will pressure the government more than going after tourists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

As usual, people will take extreme opinions on one side or the other. The truth is usually in between. To act as if violence in Jamaica is no different than high crime areas in the U.S. is ridiculous. Yes, the violence is limited to Kinston, but that could very easily spread to other areas. It is chaotic and changing.

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong answer. We're all free to do whatever we want. Just don't be naive enough to believe that the dnagers in jamaica these days are no different than Chicago or Miami.

I like Jamaica, but...

Jamaica ain't like other islands. Jamaica has a broadband of the best to the worst. Jamaica is rough around the edges but with a heart of gold (like most places). I don't discount anyone's actual personal experience there. A friend of mine - way back - said, "Jamaica, where raw materials meet raw capitalism". From bauxite, to dope, to sex - it's third world on steroids for sure. Its also very beautiful and culturally rich. It has a more brutal history than most islands (although most were brutalized) with a lot of piracy, etc. All those folks had kids. Actually, St. Lucia is somewhat similar to Jamaica - but smaller.

Kingston has been a social war zone for decades. But what goes down in Kingston affects the rest of the country.

The economic recession has caused worse problems in poorer countries than can be easily imagined. Jamaica is great. You've got to be careful everywhere - especially Jamaica.

You are absolutely right. The murder rate in Jamaica is 49 for every 100,000, while in America it is around 5. Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in America, but that is still only at 18 for Murder and non-negligent homicide.

It absolutely could spread to other areas, and probably will. Nothing will pressure the government more than going after tourists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

If you dig deeper you will find that most of the islands have murder rates that are much higher than the USA at large, higher than many US cities (so much for paradize). Many of the islands with population centers have rates of 25-35 (Jamaicas was around 39-40 for a long time) but there are a number of US cities with rates in the 25-35 zone. Probably surprising to some, New York, Chicago, and LA are comparatively safe compared to some other 'danger' standouts (Memphis, Detroit, Atlanta, Phoenix) But you don't hear people scream about Memphis or Phoenix...

When I was a grade-school kid in East TN during the late 40's, we could have qualified for such a warning. A lot of counties were dry and the woods were full of moonshiners and revenue agents shooting at one another. Most people were on the side of the moonshiners, because if the revenue agents had left them alone there would have been no violence, and they weren't doing anything that hurt any of us. In fact, most of them were upstanding and benevolent citizens.

Jamaica is going through a similar situation. Legally manufactured crime. I do not like "recreational" drugs or the problems they can cause, but I like prohibition even less and believe it causes more trouble than the drugs do.

Anyway, if you are not part of a "deal", you probably have no more to fear than you would have in Knox County in 1948.

It was two years ago when we were in Ocho Rios, Jamaica for a day off the ship. Our daughter is in a wheelchair and we were in our 60's. We took a cab from the ship compound (yes compound surrounded with fencing with barbed wire tops) to Margarettiville which was a short distance. It, too, was like a compound going in. Once inside we were groped and grabbed by two women dressed in costumes. My husband was grabbed on the butt several times and I was squeezed on the breasts in what they seemed to think was just fun. Not in my book...it was assualt. They were loud and laughing drawing attention of other people. It was embarassing and uncomfortable. Our daughter was frightened of them and it was very hard to get away from them. They wore what looked like native costumes with balloons in their tops and butts. We are sailing there but refuse to get off the boat. We should have listened last time to the people who warned us, but we also heard others say "no problems..just be cautious..no jewelry..say no firmly...IT DID NOT WORK THAT WAY!! I would rather stop someplace else such as Key West. Never Jamaica again. Some of us as we get older or infirmed end up being the perfect victims because of our weakness. Not something I want to be afraid of on a vacation.

Look I just hope that Carnival does not Jump the Gun and cancel Jamaica and substitute it for Key West like they did to me last year with Cozumel and the H1N1. You have no choice but to accept the change... and that sucks for someone that lives in Miami!

Archived