Carnival Freedom Review

Port #3 - Come back to Jamaica

I decided to skip the sunrise in favor of sleep and was awakened by room service with the days breakfast appetizer. I awoke DW at great risk to my personal safety and we ventured out to the balcony to snap some shots and enjoy coffee and fruit. The day was already humid and the sun decided to make an appearance for the fist time all week. We dressed, packed our day bag and descended to deck 0 to get off the ship. There is a new pier area with air conditioned buildings where you can meet your tour. We hopped the bus and departed for Bamboo Beach.

Our tour guide was Amanda and she was great. The ride to the beach was about 15 minutes. The beach is private and gated, so there's no one strolling the beach trying to sell you their genuine hand made plastic jewelry. We pulled our Adirondack chairs into the surf and started to soak up the sun. Amanda came around every few minutes with either food or drink. The food as served tapia style, which is small portions, but you could have as much as you want. There was jerk sausage, chicken, potatoes and a wonderful cinnamon cake. All the food was good, grilled right there on the beach. Drinks included the infamous rum punch, Mojitos, Red Stripe, lemonade and water. There was also a cash bar for those who wished to indulge in more exotic stuff.

We spent just under 4 short hours at the beach relaxing, swimming and taking lots of shots (as in photos) before Amanda gathered us up for the bus ride back to the pier. Once there, we would have had plenty of time to stroll the shops, but didn't feel like dealing with the harassment and were ready for some cool dry air. Back to the boat for showers and naps before sushi.

This was the second formal night and fearing the wrath of Eka, we dressed in the nicest clothing we had (slacks and a short sleeved button down shirt for me and a black dress for DW) and after sushi, headed to the dining room. Formal night has changed from our first cruise in that most of the men were in suits or jacket and tie. Tuxedo's were the exception not the rule, but most of the ladies were dressed in very nice full length dresses with a few short ones here and there. We met our table mates for the first time and enjoyed a nice dinner with them. DW and I both had sushi, which was different from the sushi bar, Caesar, Chateau Briand medium with potatoe and Baked Alaska which was excellent.

After dinner, we headed to Serenity for some sunset shots and then to The International Lounge to get seats for the adult comedy show which was short, but hilarious. We then headed to bed knowing that the cruise was coming to an end with one more day at sea before home.

Final Day at Sea - Where did the time go?

We slept in a bit on this day even skipping room service. We went for breakfast in the Posh where I got my eggs benedict and grits, which I only ever get on a cruise and had some fun with our table mates. After breakfast, it was time to stroll the "Last Day at Sea" sales in the shops where we didn't find anything we couldn't live without. DW headed back the the cabin to fill out the customs form and I went out to Lido for some pics and to meet up with friends. Our Hot Tub Cowboy friend wanted to share his good fortune with us and we decided to meet on Serenity at 3. DW and I said hello to the fish and chip place again and headed to Serenity. Our friends showed up and we got some glasses from the bartender to share the Champaign. One of our friends, having spent the entire day in the sun drinking, had to be "helped" back to her cabin and poured into bed.

We dressed for dinner and headed down to see Eka one last time. DW had shrimp cocktail, Caesar, Flat Iron Steak rare with creamed peas and mac and cheese and WCMC. I had shrimp cocktail, Caesar, chicken and pasta and WCMCx2 - hey, its the last night. Eka was teary eyed as she bade us goodbye. We got some pics with her and headed to the cabin to pack.

Debarkation:

This is a process that is about as depressing as watching baby seals get clubbed. There are several options for de-assing the ship. One is you can place your baggage outside your cabin the night before you get back home and the people on the ship will grab it and offload it for you. You then wait till your debarkation number is called and with a look of sorrow plastered on your face, head off the ship and once you've located your luggage you go through customs and back to reality. If you have an early flight home as we did, you can talk to guest services and they will assign you an lower number so you can get off earlier. The other option is self assist. If you don't mind schlepping your own stuff, you can be among the first people off. Self assist is called first on a deck by deck basis, followed by those people on shore excursions and then they start calling the debarkation numbers.

We had number 2 and after a quick breakfast, they called our number and DW dragged me kicking and screaming off the ship. We found our luggage rather quickly and went through customs. The agent spilled his coffee as we approached his desk and after a cursory glance at our passports, waved us through. Another reason to hop off early, no lines or crowds scrambling for luggage. We pre-arranged a ride to the airport through Ace Tours and they were there within 3 minutes. We were at the airport within minutes and before we knew it, back in Chicago.

Observations:

Freedom is a great ship and I would gladly sail her again. There were always crew members cleaning, vacuuming, and clearing tables in the restaurants. Most of them would stop what they were doing and say hello as we passed. Eka and Vance were the best and we wanted to take them home with us. Ryan the CD was hilarious and I chatted with him on several occasions. He is from Indianapolis and a Colts fan, so as a Bears fan, had to give me grief over Superbowl XL, but it was all good.

My favorite port of call was Key West. I would love to go back and spend a few days. Grand Cayman was also great and Jamaica I could take it or leave it. If I cruise there again, I may just enjoy an uncrowded ship.

The lines for Lido buffet were long, but moved. I don't think it was ever more than 10 minutes for me to fill a plate. Yes, they could lay it out differently so it would flow smoother, but it is what it is and you can't let it spoil your trip. BTW, in response to other posts I've seen, the sweeteners include sugar, cane sugar, Splenda, Sweet and Low and Equal. The iced tea is not great, but dump a Splenda and squeeze a lemon slice in and it's not the worst I've ever had. DW said the lemonade was a bit strong, but cut it with some water and its pretty good.

As for the food in the MDR, I will use the pasta dishes as an example. Was it better than what I'd get at my local Italian joint? Probably not but it wasn't any worse and I didn't have to shop for the food, didn't have to cook it and didn't have to clean up after it. It was served by a beautiful Indonesian woman with a great personality a genuine desire to make her customers happy.

For those who say there's nothing to do on sea days, I'm not sure what ship they were on. We wanted to relax on this trip and did not participate in as many activities as we usually do, but that was our choice. There was plenty to do to keep people of all ages entertained.

Embark/Debark were a breeze, but we did both of them early and will probably do that again in the future. If you don't mind sitting in the embarkation bldg. or airport for a while, you may want to consider this as well. FYI, I did not see any water fountains in the embarkation bldg. but there are pop vending machines or bring a bottle of water with you. Unlike airports, they will let you bring it in with you.

I hope this review was helpful. Thanks for all your comments. Feel free to ask me any questions and enjoy your cruise whichever ship you end up on. If it's Freedom, I know you will love her. Also, I will have pics up on my photo blog soon - bigguyphotography@blogspot.com

Thank you for your review. This was the most realistic review I've read in a while. It seems everyone wants to complain about dumb stuff on theirs and you just said it like it was. If you want some kind of freakin perfect vacation with 3500 people in the same place then you are never going to enjoy a cruise. Your review gave us a lot of realistic expectations and I appreciate it. I would choose a cruise over any vacation any day. Where else can you park your butt, unpack and be taken to several different places without moving, having to find places to eat, without getting bored, having someone ask you if you want a drink every 5 minutes, having someone wait on you hand and foot, etc. Thank you again!

Thank you for your review. This was the most realistic review I've read in a while. It seems everyone wants to complain about dumb stuff on theirs and you just said it like it was. If you want some kind of freakin perfect vacation with 3500 people in the same place then you are never going to enjoy a cruise. Your review gave us a lot of realistic expectations and I appreciate it. I would choose a cruise over any vacation any day. Where else can you park your butt, unpack and be taken to several different places without moving, having to find places to eat, without getting bored, having someone ask you if you want a drink every 5 minutes, having someone wait on you hand and foot, etc. Thank you again!

Have you ever been to an AI?

You are guaranteed to be at your destination unlike a ship that can change ports.

AIs have restaurants,they have organized activities day and night including day trips to many sights,drinks are free and very plentifull.Tips are included as well.All non motorized Water sports are free.There are shows everynight and the bathroom is bigger than the cabin on ship.

The ships have the same boring shows year after year.I have to go on other lines just to get variety.

Steve

I don't care for AI because I love waking up every morning to a new place. It's awesome to be in a different port or part of the world every time you wake up. We've missed ports before, but who cares. We still have a great time. Reading reviews like this make me even more excited to go. To each his own, but I love me some crusin!

Sturderick, you're welcome. I just called it like I saw it. Can't let the little things ruin it.

BecuzIsaidso, sorry it's www.bigguyphotography.blogspot.com

Steveaaaaa, yet you continue to cruise?

I go for almost free from points all the time. I am actually boarding the Freedom today:D

Next year it 2 AIs and then a 15 day Egypt/nile trip the next year.

Steve

Getting so excited this morning reading your wonderful review of the Freedom. It makes me want to get up from here and go to packing even though I don't cruise til November.

Can't wait to read more and hope you took lots of photo's to post for us to see.

Marcy:)

Thank you for this review! We board the Freedom in 42 days (but who's counting :rolleyes:) and can't wait. I especially loved the review of Bamboo Beach as we will likely be booking an excursion that stops there. Thanks again!

sturderick, I have never done an AI, but would like to try one. There's a new Sandals on Turks and Caicos I'd like to see.

Steve, have a great time.

marcyjane, bigguyphotography.blogspot.com is my photo blog. I have pics from the cruise up

misscmac, there are a couple excursions that include Bamboo Beach including one that does Dunns River Falls. You'll like BB tho - its private, secluded and has a bar and some gift shops.

Feel free to ask any questions you all might have about the ship or the excursions

[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Thanks ussenterprise,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff]I'll be sure to go check out your photo's.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff]Thanks,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff]Marcy[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]

Great review! Debark should be considered a dirty word, DH and I both got a laugh out of your explanation.
We'll be embarking in just 5 days! can't wait after reading what a good time you had. We'll have different ports but I'm sure it's going to be a great vacation!
Kelly

[quote name='julia']Totally enjoyed this review! Thanks so much for posting.

Q. Bamboo beach in Jamaica....was that a private tour or ship excursion?[/quote]

You can go to Bamboo beach through a ship excursion or just walk there and pay at the entrance. The only difference with the ship excursion is someone meets you at the ship and walks you there.

[quote name='ussenterprise']
As for the food in the MDR, I will use the pasta dishes as an example. Was it better than what I'd get at my local Italian joint? Probably not but it wasn't any worse and I didn't have to shop for the food, didn't have to cook it and didn't have to clean up after it. It was served by a beautiful Indonesian woman with a great personality a genuine desire to make her customers happy.
[/quote]
Exactly! Sounds like you and your wife would make great tablemates! :)

Great, fun review. My son and I did the 6 night Freedom a few months ago and loved every second of it (except our tablemates, actually ;)). At the time, I thought it was the "tightest run" crew that we had experienced - everything happened as it should, when it should, and everyone seemed remarkably happy. Not that we've ever experienced bad or indifferent service, all of our cruises have been great, but there seemed something "extra" about the Freedom crew.

Appreciated your review of Bamboo Beach club - I strongly considered it as our excursion, but ended up going with Mystic Mountain (my son was 12, and they had the waterslide, bobsled ride, and chairlift) which was great. But BBC is definitely a strong contender for our next stop in Ocho Rios.

Thanks for the great review - always nice to re-live a great trip through someone else's eyes.

[quote name='julia']Totally enjoyed this review! Thanks so much for posting.

Q. Bamboo beach in Jamaica....was that a private tour or ship excursion?[/QUOTE]

It was through the ship. Our excursion was simply "Bamboo Beach Break" and all you do is the beach. There are other tours that include the beach and Dunns River Falls if you want to see that. We had been there, "Dunn" that before, so skipped it in favor of more beach time.

[quote name='shipty2']You can go to Bamboo beach through a ship excursion or just walk there and pay at the entrance. The only difference with the ship excursion is someone meets you at the ship and walks you there.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we're thinking of the same place. The bus ride itself was about 15 min, so walking would take quite a while and I for one wouldn't be too eager to walk some of the places we saw on the way.

[quote name='Crazyone123']I need more....I think he has forgetton about us. [B]WE NEED MORE!!!!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

OK Crazyone, here's a tip I forgot to include. Deck 5 is not the only deck that goes all the way through the ship. For example, our cabin was 8240 which is towards the front of the ship. Our dinning room was Posh which is all the way at the back. We simply walked out of our cabin, turned right and walked all the way to the rear most elevators, took them down to deck 4 and viola, there was our MDR.

Archived