Thomson Dream

Starting to get really worried now. We leave on the 6th July for a weeks stay and then a weeks cruise. The reports of the sewage smell and problems with the toilets dont seem to be getting any better. Would we be too late to transfer to another holiday? How does that work when our flights are booked, would we be allowed to change dates? We have worked hard this year and are looking forward to this holiday, not to mention the cost involved.

We're due to go on Thomson Dream on Aug 10, and we're also starting to get really worried. Frankly, most of the reviews are horrendous, and whilst I'm aware that many people who write reviews exaggerate their concerns, I'm not happy.

We've been on Destiny about 7 times, and had a fabulous holiday on each occasion. Thomson Dream, we were led to believe, was going to be a step up in class!! It certainly doesn't appear that way at present. I'm expected to pay the balance of the holiday within the next two weeks, and I shall do so with an extremely heavy heart!

Sorry so long to reply, my computer is playing up this morning. I am going to email Thomson just now to express my concerns and see what kind of response I get. The ship has been sailing for nearly a month now and the problems are not getting ironed out. Will let you know how I get on

Morning to both of you,

No it's the website that's the problem.

They do maintenance on it at a convenient time to them which is about 3 to 4 a.m. U.S.A. time.

Unfortunately for us this is about 9 to 10 a.m. our time every morning and the whole thing is more or less inoperable for about an hour.

We were aboard the 1st full week's cruise and our main problems were the cold food in the buffet and the poor A.I. selection. Both of these have been rectified since from the recent reports I have read.

Some people at the time did have problems with no air conditioning in inside cabins.

I did put a report on her on here at the time. And have pics uploaded too if you want the links.

Berwyn

Hi

Have read your report Berwyn and I know that some folk like to complain about the least wee thing. We tend to take things as we find them and dont like to judge prematurely, but things dont seem to be improving on the plumbing/sewage front. Still a few weeks to go mind you. I just dont want to go on holiday and regret not taking the chance to heed the warning signs. I'll get the blame from my better half no doubt as I talked him into going on this boat, he loved the Destiny and Spirit. Anyway have emailed Thomson with my concerns so will see what happens.

You're absolutely right Cymro 1953, the cold food and thankfully the AI problems have been rectified. However, reviews filed yesterday from those who reurned on Tuesday, are still concerning. Stench complaints, toilets never working, etc etc worry me. I'm not just talking about reviews on this site, but those that have been placed on other sites too.

By now, I feel the majority of reviews should be positive, that's not the case!!

Really, they should have had her in for the refit at the start of the season and made sure she was O.K. Rather than at the end when we've all had a moan and given them a load of bad publicity.

It's a shame as she's a nice ship for her age.

Berwyn

hi we changed our cruise last week we were supposed to go 31st august but because we have never cruised before thought we would change to something with good reviews. we are now going on the adriatic explorer 27th august. cost us £35 each to change we hadnt paid the full balance but i think you can change once you have paid in full but it costs a little more £50 think.we had booked with our local thomas cook ta they phoned thompson and it was no problem. we feel a lot happier now ... carl

Really, they should have had her in for the refit at the start of the season and made sure she was O.K. Rather than at the end when we've all had a moan and given them a load of bad publicity.

Berwyn

Totally agree Berwyn but its all about money.A ship sitting in dry dock getting a refit/refurb does not make Thomsons money.In Thomsons eyes they had to have the ship out right away cruising at peak periods meaning instant/high income

Anyway,not sure if its permitted to link to others sites but going to anyway

Here are many other reviews(some from here)very difficult to come up with a balanced view as they rang from great to nightmare.Read into them anyway you like

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/search/?searchsubmit.x=41&searchsubmit.y=15&reviewcruiselineid=22&reviewcruiseshipid=273&reviewdestinationid=&action=search

I`m off in 4 weeks time and decided a while ago to not take on board previous reviews and go and have a great time no matter and deal with issues if any on my return

Ps..Don`t understand some folk have difficulty getting a reply from Thomsons.I`ve emailed them on a number of occassion and had a response almost instantly

Hi Jim,

Yes I know.

Anyway the cabin was spotless, the beds comfy and the grub was good.And even with the reduced A.I. we had I got plenty down me :D Hic..

And excellent entertainment.

And of course hot sun. What more do you want?

Berwyn

Please ,please ,please let it be alright or I am done for :eek: think that this is the last time he will listen to me and let me pick a holiday :p

but I know that we are going to have a fab time :cool: and will prove him wrong :D

mrs.c

Please ,please ,please let it be alright or I am done for :eek: think that this is the last time he will listen to me and let me pick a holiday :p

but I know that we are going to have a fab time :cool: and will prove him wrong :D

mrs.c

Hi Mrs.c.

Yes it must be OK. You can't have 3 bad ones in a row. Or can you ? :eek::D

Berwyn

:( I am not going on the Dream until Feb2011 after the refit. I am also worried about the reviews, called Thopmsons this morning about canceling and booking another holiday with Them,they said it would cost £35.00 admin fee, if I canceled altogether I would loose my deposit, not sure what to do. Lizald.

Hi Mrs.c.

Yes it must be OK. You can't have 3 bad ones in a row. Or can you ? :eek::D

Berwyn

God, dont even go there :eek: :D

hubby is going to collect some P&O books :o

me I want to go the IE after it,s refit :)

mrs.c

:( I am not going on the Dream until Feb2011 after the refit. I am also worried about the reviews, called Thopmsons this morning about canceling and booking another holiday with Them,they said it would cost £35.00 admin fee, if I canceled altogether I would loose my deposit, not sure what to do. Lizald.

Sorry really dont know what to suggest :o is this your first thomson cruise :confused: or is it your first cruise ever ,

I am going in 5 weeks and I am so looking forward to it , I know that some reviews have been bad , but have been on cruises where I have heard nothing but moans and still we had a great time , so it really depends on what your expectations are and if you go with the outlook to enjoy yourself , hope that you come to the right decision and all is well

mrs.c

God, dont even go there :eek: :D

hubby is going to collect some P&O books :o

me I want to go the IE after it,s refit :)

mrs.c

DW won't go back on her :( now she's tasted bigger ships.

That's why we're on Star Princess next June. We'll see.

like I mentioned above for us it was the cold buffet food and the poor A.I. mainly. Both of which have been sorted.

I had a patient last week who'd just come back from 3 weeks on Destiny. 1 week in Caribbean followed by Transatlantic. Had a great time.

She's been on Ventura, said ship was lovely but entertainment etc not a patch on Thomson's.

Berwyn

Hi Mrs C

Arn't you worried about the bad reviews? I am becsuse I have travelled to lots of places but not on a cruise ship before. Lizald .

Slighty worried, but not enough to put me off ,

Iknow that your first cruise is very exciting and so different to a hotel based one , so have a good think about it as you have lots of time yet and I am sure that all their little problems will be sorted by then

mrs.c

As I wrote on this thread this morning, earlier today I sent an email to Thomson's expressing my concern. This was their reply...

Dear Laurence

Thank you for contacting Thomson cruise.

As you know, there has been publicity in relation to Thomson Dream in the way it has been affected by some technical issues during its first sailings from Palma we can confirm that this has now been largely resolved.

Entertainment – particularly the evening shows – are being appreciated by packed audiences, and the dining experience is already up to the high standard experienced on other Thomson ships. The ship will provide an excellent holiday destination in itself, as well as providing a means of sampling some wonderful destinations in the course of its voyage.

We trust this clarifies the situation and thank you for contacting Thomson Cruises.

Kind regards

David Anthony

Cruise 'ContactUs' Team

Service Centre – Swansea

email contactus@thomson-cruises.co

We're going on the Dream 10th Aug,have paid all our balance 2wks ago,trying not to let the reviews affect us too much,this is our 1st cruise as well,and as we are celebrating my dads 60th birthday wanted everything to be ok, hopefully over the next 10wks the reviews will get better.

Try to stay positive everyone,reviews are mixed and if we never had computers we wouldnt know a thing was wrong:D.

Any problems we face we have decided will be addressed when we get home determined we will enjoy this holiday:D

Rose

We're going on the Dream 10th Aug,have paid all our balance 2wks ago,trying not to let the reviews affect us too much,this is our 1st cruise as well,and as we are celebrating my dads 60th birthday wanted everything to be ok, hopefully over the next 10wks the reviews will get better.

Try to stay positive everyone,reviews are mixed and if we never had computers we wouldnt know a thing was wrong:D.

Any problems we face we have decided will be addressed when we get home determined we will enjoy this holiday:D

Rose

Hope all goes well for you and that the issues are resolved such that you have a wonderful cruise, Rose. :)

We travelled on the Celebration about a month after she had gone into Thomson's service and it too, had a terrible start. Loo/plumbing problems which resulted in the first voyage being aborted and passengers flown home from Lisbon after a couple of days in a hotel (some chose to stay on board and return to the UK on Celebration). It even made the National press. [Odd that when you think about it - how come it wasn't such a disaster area prior to Thomson taking over? Same for the Dream - what were Costa's passenger's view of the Europa prior to the accident - what was the plumbing like then? but that is an aside.]

Getting back to Celebration's first season, it was our first ever cruise so as you can imagine we were very apprehensive! In the event, it was fabulous and got us hooked!

I don't wish to minimise the problems some people have experienced - it is so disappointing when your holiday doesn't live up to expectations and I do hope they receive suitable compensation - but there is no way Thomson aren't fully aware of the issues and must be trying extremely hard to rectify the problems. They don't want this bad publicity to carry on any longer than absolutely necessary! :mad:

So fingers crossed for you that you have a great holiday - let's hope the Dream goes on to be as popular as the Celebration after this shaky start and that you enjoy your first cruise as much as we did. :)

We were booked to go on the dream on 22 June - was very concerned with the reviews - they were consistantly bad and very few positive comments - we both work hard and the cruise is meant to be a break , part of the excitement of the holiday is the build up to it and not the dread of what may happen. Anyway to cut a long story short - we contacted Thomsons last week - changed cruise to Destiny (we've sailed on her before and had a great time) cost to change was £50 per head although it worked out cheaper so they threw in drinks package free. Who knows the Dream may have worked out fine but to be honest I didn't want to risk it. p.s. We also received personal feedback from a friend who travelled begining of May on the Dream and they said if we can change - do it! For all those travelling on Dream hope my fears are unfounded and you have a good time , however I am now looking forward to going back on the Destiny.

Hi Teddieb, sadly changing boats isn't an option for us due to the cost! Our TA wanted £35pp amendment fee (£210) £1701 to add on the AI that we had originally had for free as we booked early and an extra £1500 as the Destiny cruise for the 6 of us was more expensive :( So over £3,000 more for more or less the same dates, cabins & similar itineray. I know when we booked we could have travelled on Destiny for less than we ended up paying for Dream, but figured they were charging a premium for their 'new' boat and were happy to pay, when the balance shifted I don't know. We have 3 options, loose our £780 deposit & cancel, transfer to Destiny at an extra £3,000 or stay with Dream & hope for the best - not sure we've got much choice :mad:

Archived