Customer Service Response to my concerns re: Dream!

Hi Pam,

I so hope that things will start to improve & that you do have an enjoyable holiday. As I'm chief holiday planner in our house, I always feel extra nervous about things going wrong. Especially this year as I've persuaded my mother to come with us too! Thomson can't let things carry on as they are & I'm sure if that many cabins/toilets were affected then they would make the decision to abort a cruise & sort things out once and for all as they have done in the past. I've still 8 weeks until my trip, but will have everything crossed for you tomorrow. Please let us know how things went on your return.

Jo.

Hi Jo, Pam and all,

Things seem to have deteriorated drastically rather than improve since we were aboard at the end of April.

Here's what I wrote about the ship on my return in case people have missed it for comparison.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195267

There were stains on some carpets that looked like water stains, but we neither saw or heard about any leaking while aboard.

Also only minimal problems with blocked toilets as far as we could ascertain.

but from recent comments these are worse now.

I am still waiting for a proper written response to our complaints and comments on her.

Berwyn

God !!!!! this is like xmas all over again , have just emailed thomson , fat lot of good that will do , cannot believe that this is all happening .

Lets all hope that things DO get sorted out asap and we can have peace of mind .

mrs.c

This is my report that I did after going on the Dream the week after Berwyn. We did have water dripping through the ceiling on deck 7 and a bucket in the corridor all week! but no trouble really with our cabin.

It does seem to have got worse, I just hope Thomson can sort it out, because when you have looked forward to a holiday, it is so disapointing to have it spoilt like this. No news from Hoopy? - perhaps Thomson have locked him in his cabin:eek:

Linda

CABINS

Very big and good storage, bath and shower, all kept spotless BUT very dark décor and a bit depressing:mad:

STAFF

Very friendly as is usual with Thomsons

SERVICE

Very good in Orion and Andromeda, they even remember your name, but not impressed with Sirens. We went there once for breakfast. The tables were not cleared and when we asked a waiter to clear our dirty plates (along with plates from the last diner) he said very sarcastically “YES SIR”

Bar service still slow especially in the theatre.

RESTAURANTS

Orion very nice food –went there 3 nights

Andromeda – nice buffet– hot food was hot and plenty of variety, but poor design means you have to queue even if you only want a snack or a salad.

Sirens – see above

ENTERTAINMENT

Brilliant shows as usual with Thomson. Comedian was excellent. There were two shows every night. We went to the late one each evening.

PHOTOS

Didn’t buy any as ridiculously expensive – 15 Euros :(

ALL INCLUSIVE

This will be controversial, but we were pleased with it as we got it free and we only drink beer or wine anyway, so would not have paid for it. It was still on the restricted version while we were there, but I understand it has been changed back to the original now, Would have liked a liquor coffee now and again, but can’t complain as it was a freebie. Lowest bill we have ever had at the end of a holiday £228 for 3 trips and some bottled water!:)

TRIPS

Very good value and excellent advice from the excursions staff

Villefranche – went to Nice and Eze –very pretty village – weather cool!

Livorno – went to Pisa – very interesting and quite impressive – weather colder!

Civitavecchia –stayed in the town and went to excellent market, then sat by the sea with a drinkie or two - weather warm

Corsica – fabulous trip of the Island. Stunning views and “hairy” hairpin bends! Weather sunny!

Palamos – stayed in the town. Very good shops and nice to sit and watch the world go by with a coffee. Weather sunny and warm!

Note to Berwyn – at the boat drill, Stephen Guy said “no hairdryers or irons in cabin” Also said the same on plug in cabin. I took my kettle for use in hotel 2nd week and so used it and didn’t blow up the ship!! ;)

Now for the negatives:-

On holiday truths someone said it was shabby and I think that summed it up. Everyone we spoke to was moaning about the state of the ship and was going to write a letter of complaint to Thomson. Several people were on their first cruise and said they might not cruise again and certainly not with Thomson. Someone at our hotel is cancelling their booking because of what they heard from other guests who had been on the cruise.

The paintwork on the outside was terrible and the davits had been painted over, so we wondered if they could be lowered in an emergency. The boat drill was a fiasco. They did check we were there, but they didn’t check people had there lifejackets on properly and some people didn’t. Also it was held inside and so no-one would know where to go in an emergency.

Another danger was the hairdryer. It was in the bathroom over the sink with no safety button on it.

We were on deck 7. In the corridor was water dripping through a light!!! into a bucket and the bucket was there all week. The carpets were stained in places, some people had cabins flooded, we didn’t, but our loo flushed itself several times, once when I was sitting on it – mmm nice!!:rolleyes:

There was a smell of sewage on deck 6 near the excursions desk and a general smell of fuel around the corridors when we were in port.

The plastic plates issue has been done to death, but the worse things were the plastic beakers!

The pool roof was over at the beginning of the cruise due to bad weather, but when they tried to open it, it got stuck and as far as I know stayed like that for the rest of the cruise.

The aircon was useless, there was no way to adjust ours without taking the front off to move the dial. Then it was just lukewarm all the time. We ended up with a sore throat and cold (along with several others) which is still hanging around.

So, sorry guys, I shall not be going on the Dream again, I don’t even know if £5,000,000 will solve all the problems. We were thinking of going on her to the Caribbean next winter, but now looking to Fred Olsen or RCI.

I told Thomsons on my questionnaire that it really should have been refurbished before they took on customers.

Linda

God !!!!! this is like xmas all over again , have just emailed thomson , fat lot of good that will do , cannot believe that this is all happening .

Lets all hope that things DO get sorted out asap and we can have peace of mind .

mrs.c

Not looking good mrs. c.

Perhaps you could transfer to a nice safe hotel holiday instead?

Berwyn

Not looking good mrs. c.

Perhaps you could transfer to a nice safe hotel holiday instead?

Berwyn

Was thinking about the alternatives ,,but my son and his wife will be with us and they so looking forward to this cruise , it will break their hearts if we change it all now :( I am just hoping and praying that things will improve

mrs.c

thinking of going on her to the Caribbean next winter, but now looking to Fred Olsen or RCI.[/font]

Linda

Hi Linda,

The local Thomson's shop had what looked like a good deal for Caribbean next winter £1300 approx with P and O. for 2 weeks.

Berwyn

We fly out tomorrow morning for two weeks, and am praying things are getting sorted out, we transfered from the Island Escape after all the bad reviews at Christmas and now the Dream seems to be getting worse as each week goes by :(

All we can do is what ever happens try to make the best of it. Most days we will be ashore, thank God, I think it would be worse if you couldn't get away from all the smells. Will let you know on our return and if things are that bad will try and post on here.

Sue

We fly out tomorrow morning for two weeks, and am praying things are getting sorted out, we transfered from the Island Escape after all the bad reviews at Christmas and now the Dream seems to be getting worse as each week goes by :(

All we can do is what ever happens try to make the best of it. Most days we will be ashore, thank God, I think it would be worse if you couldn't get away from all the smells. Will let you know on our return and if things are that bad will try and post on here.

Sue

Hi Sue

1.gif that you have a good cruise.

Berwyn

Hi Linda,

The local Thomson's shop had what looked like a good deal for Caribbean next winter £1300 approx with P and O. for 2 weeks.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn, Ray just getting the P&O brochure out:D

We really want to go to Cuba and Mexico, and the only ones to do that are Fred Olsen Braemar and Thomson Dream:eek: That is why we are going on Braemar in July to see what she is like. Could be a bit rough in channel:( but should be OK in Caribbean:)

I know I have asked this before, but where do I find the moving icons and how do I then transfer them to this site:confused::confused:

Linda

Thanks Berwyn, Ray just getting the P&O brochure out:D

We really want to go to Cuba and Mexico, and the only ones to do that are Fred Olsen Braemar and Thomson Dream:eek: That is why we are going on Braemar in July to see what she is like. Could be a bit rough in channel:( but should be OK in Caribbean:)

I know I have asked this before, but where do I find the moving icons and how do I then transfer them to this site:confused::confused:

Linda

Hi Linda,

Yes, the American owned cruise lines like P and O won't go to Cuba.

We looked at Dream for Mexico, but decided on the Tour and Stay in Mexico instead with thomson's.

You get the moving smileys here http://bestsmileys.com/

Click on Page Index then go to the category you want from the list.

When you see the smiley you like just copy the link on the left and paste it in your message here.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn :)

If its that bad will be demanding them to put us up in a hotel. We have saved hard for this holiday and was really looking forward to our first cruise.

Sue

Hi Sue, hope it all goes OK. Don't stand for any nonsense! ;)

Linda

Sue, I hope that everything goes well for you! I'm sure that Thomson wouldn't allow her to sail if things were THAT bad throughout the ship. Please let us all know how it went when you get back!

Jo.

Thanks JoJo :)

Have just rang Thomsons and they said that they wouldn't put passengers on if there was a health and safety issues and it had been inspected and they wasn't aware of any problems. I told her there were reports of staff being ill and she said that there had been some cases of norivirus in some hotels recently. No straight answers.

I asked her if Thomson read the cruise web sites as there were lots of bad reviews and people were changing ship because of this and other were not booking on the Dream, she said she had been away for 2 weeks and had to ask someone else as she didn't know of these issues.

Again no ones knows what is going on or they are just trying to fob us off.

All we can do now is see what happens tomorrow and if it all goes wrong shout very loud

Sue

Is P&O Amerian then? I thought it was British 00020459.gif

Linda

sig.asp?img=ad1

I see you got it to work OK Linda, :D

Yes, she's owned by the U.S. Carnival Corporation. They own loads of cruise lines like Costa, Cunard and others

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-index

Look there, about halfway down page. You'll see who they own.

Berwyn

I see you got it to work OK Linda, :D

Yes, she's owned by the U.S. Carnival Corporation. They own loads of cruise lines like Costa, Cunard and others

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-index

Look there, about halfway down page. You'll see who they own.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn, I think my brother mentioned Carnival, he goes with P&O.

Seems like a bit of a cartel to me:(

So Thomson and FOCL are independent and should be better.:rolleyes:

Just read Sue's comments about her phone call to Thomson. Do they really not know there are problems or are they just saying that:confused:

Linda

Hi Pam,

I so hope that things will start to improve & that you do have an enjoyable holiday. As I'm chief holiday planner in our house, I always feel extra nervous about things going wrong. Especially this year as I've persuaded my mother to come with us too! Thomson can't let things carry on as they are & I'm sure if that many cabins/toilets were affected then they would make the decision to abort a cruise & sort things out once and for all as they have done in the past. I've still 8 weeks until my trip, but will have everything crossed for you tomorrow. Please let us know how things went on your return.

Jo.

Hi Jo - if I can find an internet cafe at first port of call I will update you then. We have been messed about bt Thomson since last July which is when we first booked. Originally were going to book Destiny but cruise deals managed to persuade me to book Dream in early October. About 6 weeks later Thomson informed us that due operational factors that cruise would no longer take place. Offered us September or June. As the week in September wasn't suitable for us we took the June date. Wished we had stuck with the Destiny! Then there was the debacle with the all inc package, then all the doubt with the ash cloud (admittedly the only thing beyond Thomson's control. I am really hoping that things have improved. Will keep you up to date. Pam

Thanks Berwyn, I think my brother mentioned Carnival, he goes with P&O.

Seems like a bit of a cartel to me:(

So Thomson and FOCL are independent and should be better.:rolleyes:

Just read Sue's comments about her phone call to Thomson. Do they really not know there are problems or are they just saying that:confused:

Linda

Hi Linda,

They must know what's happening from all the letters and emails they'll have had from the likes of us.

Berwyn

Sue/Pam - hope things go well for you, and that the current concerns are resolved.

Would appreciate any updates you can provide, either from the boat or on your return, as we're due to go in a few weeks, and I'd be REALLY reluctant to switch as we're all looking forward to the cruise...

Well following Hoppys 'Live from update' I sent off another email to Thomson along with a copy of his update & asked them what the hell was going wrong. This is the reply that I have just received....

Good afternoon Joanne,

Thank you for contacting Thomson Cruise,

There are currently intermittent problems with the plumbing system on Thomson

Dream. This is affecting hot water and vacuum toilet systems from time to time.

The incidents are happening in isolation, rather than affecting large areas of

the ship at any one time. And when issues do arise, the ship is dealing with

them as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

The situation is improving day by day, and we are confident these problems will

soon be behind us.

There are some very damaging reviews being posted on different cruise websites

and forums which are exaggerating the nature of the problems onboard. We accept

there are some problems they are isolated. Whilst this is still really

disappointing, it's important to stress that most guests are able to enjoy their

holiday.

The food, entertainment and service onboard are as good as you will find on any

other Thomson ship. The ship itself is generally in very good condition, and

more than merits its billing as the flagship of the Thomson fleet.

As a result, we should reassure customers due to travel that they will have a

fantastic time onboard Thomson Dream.

We hope this clarifies your query

Kind regards

Cruise 'ContactUs' Team

Service Centre - Swansea

email contactus@thomson-cruises.com

Very similar to the last one, but I am 'living in hope' :)

Archived