Question about a TA - what would you do?

dadofgage

[quote name='dan40']In this case, it was the customer [the OP] that called [emailed] the store [TA] and said the price was lower. How often would the customer make that call? Fairly often!!!:p

Net: The TA is still making some commission on the remainder of the lowered price with NO additional expense. The TA has NO right to a higher commission rate due to a lowered fare rate![/quote]

I think you are missing an important point - when the price decreased, the TAs commission decreased. What the TA requested was to have a pro-rata portion of that commission restored - not all of what was lost, just some of it.

"No additional expense"? - I believe the TA did a lot of lobbying on behalf of the OP:

OP: "I emailed our TA and inquired about anything she could do - she filled out the necessary paperwork and it was initially rejected by Carnival. She kept after them citing the fact that the category was cheaper and was available and we ended up getting a $480 OBC from Carnival for which we are very thankful."

The work of the TA resulted in the price reduction which resulted in a commission reduction. I guess if you were the TA you would say "hey, I tried, but carnival would not do it." so you would not lose your commission.

[quote name='JPH814']I think you are missing an important point - when the price decreased, the TAs commission decreased. What the TA requested was to have a pro-rata portion of that commission restored - not all of what was lost, just some of it.

"No additional expense"? - I believe the TA did a lot of lobbying on behalf of the OP:

OP: "I emailed our TA and inquired about anything she could do - she filled out the necessary paperwork and it was initially rejected by Carnival. She kept after them citing the fact that the category was cheaper and was available and we ended up getting a $480 OBC from Carnival for which we are very thankful."

The work of the TA resulted in the price reduction which resulted in a commission reduction. I guess if you were the TA you would say "hey, I tried, but carnival would not do it." so you would not lose your commission.[/quote]

Breaks of the game as other TA's have said on this thread. When a product is on sale does the company ask you to cover the profit lost on the reduced price?

If the cruise started out at $1000.00 pp and ended up at $500.pp, the TA gets commission on $500. The EXTRA work of filling out the ES paperwork is part of customer service. Rebating commission was the TA's choice, KNOWING it was a ES sale. This TA's whine about lesser commission (ON a lower price) Would insure that he/she would lose 100% of any commission on my next cruise as I'd be dealing with someone that understood business.

So as an update on this - my wife and I decided that the main things that bugged us was that the TA didn't state anything about this ahead of time - if they simply would have had a conversation with us, we would be more inclined.

We also know that we booked 3 other cabins for the same cruise, none of which were discounted because of ES.

Now tonight, I logged into my bank account and see a pending charge of approximately $80 with is the amount in question.

So now, it appears that the TA decided on their own that they deserved it and just went ahead without my knowledge and charged my card.

So I have contacted them to find out what exactly the deal is --

For those of you TA's out there - how should this I be viewing this new charge without my authorization?

IMO, if a TA accepts a booking, then they should be prepared for possible price drops. The booking contract should disclose if the TA charges any additional fees for price drops. If not, then the TA has no right to ask for any additional money.

Years ago, we had a TA keep a portion of the funds of a discount coupon (due to a mechanical issue on a previous cruise) we asked to have applied. The portion they kept was close to the same $80 yours is asking for. We never used that TA again. We've sailed a LOT of cruises since then. The money they kept ended up costing them the commission on all those lost bookings. Not a smart move.

That said, If you feel this TA deserves the $80, let them know that after you return home from your cruise with the $80 from your OBC, you will mail a check then.

Edit... sorry just saw your most recent post. Dispute that charge.

So as an update on this - my wife and I decided that the main things that bugged us was that the TA didn't state anything about this ahead of time - if they simply would have had a conversation with us, we would be more inclined.

We also know that we booked 3 other cabins for the same cruise, none of which were discounted because of ES.

Now tonight, I logged into my bank account and see a pending charge of approximately $80 with is the amount in question.

So now, it appears that the TA decided on their own that they deserved it and just went ahead without my knowledge and charged my card.

So I have contacted them to find out what exactly the deal is --

For those of you TA's out there - how should this I be viewing this new charge without my authorization?

Wow! I was truly sympathetic to the TA and felt you should pay the $80 initially. Now I'm not so sure. Did you confirm that you would be paying the $80, perhaps verbally? Why can't they simply deduct it from the OBC amount rather than charging your cc? :confused:

I'm a TA and I would NEVER charge a clients credit card without their prior approval and knowledge. TA's are in tuff positions these days, working harder and harder and making less and less. I left the "vacation" travel business 10 years ago because I could not longer make a living selling vacations, now I do corporate travel only.

A TA should always explain their intentions to the degree that all involved have a complete undersstanding of what they are buying, what they are paying and any downside or possible additional charges. A TA should provide all this to you in writing period!

If this TA charged your card without your permission CALL your bank and stop the payment, then call the manager of this agency and ask if this is their normal business pratice.

I'd give her the $80 in a heartbeat. In fact, anytime someone will give me $480, I'll be proud to give them $80 back! ;) IMO, she went to bat for you, and won, so it's time to go to bat for her.

"SKY"

I can see both sides to this, but ultimately, the TA is the professional in this transaction and should have accounted for this scenario in the booking contract in some manner. IMO a professional should eat the loss and then get to work changing the terms of his/her booking contract.

I'd give her the $80 in a heartbeat. In fact, anytime someone will give me $480, I'll be proud to give them $80 back! ;) IMO, she went to bat for you, and won, so it's time to go to bat for her.

"SKY"

The TA charged the OP's CC 80.00 WITHOUT his permission - based on this alone, the TA should get nothing!

Regardless if we personally agree or disagree if the TA earned the $80.00. The

point now is that she has charged $80.00 to a Credit card without your

permission. This is fraud and I would not allow it to be charged. I would turn

it over the the fraud unit at the credit card she charged.

Archived