Sea Trials 11-13 June

boeckli

http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actuLocale_-Essais-mer-du-Norwegian-epic-du-11-au-13-juin-_-1390872------44184-aud_actu.Htm

Google Translation:

The delivery date is scheduled Norwegian June 15 His trial will take place overseas on the weekend before.

This is a marathon race against the clock that is committed to the shipyard STX. The management has confirmed Friday morning setting committee. "The end of the ship schedule has been finalized with NCL. Delivery can be delayed because there is an imperative for the undocking C and the trade agenda of the shipowner, "revealed a representative of the CFDT.

Delivery is always announced for June 15 but the remaining time to finish the work decreases. And the site is becoming tighter with sea-trials are scheduled for 11, 12 and 13 June The new engine has been started and should be operational for testing.

At the same time, the work of restoration after the fire on deck 4 are progressing. The draw of the 80 km of cables should be completed this week. The connections are in progress. The fire took effect on testing machinery, accommodation and the computer network. There remain a few critical points to board: passenger cabins nonstandard installed at the rear of the ship, the suites and the cafeteria of the bridge 15.

Currently, 2300 people working on board, plus the 1500 crew members who participate in the work of cleaning supplies and boarding owner.

I think last sentence of first paragraph should read "Delivery can not be delayed ...."

Doesn't that seem to be cutting things awfully close? Only a day to tweak things, provided that's all. Can't imagine what the stress levels are like at the shipyard and NCL. Should be interesting.....

It's great to see that the sea trials have been given a date. All reports I got from people onboard the Spirit this week say there is a LOT of work left to be done and other crew friends I know who transferred to the Epic have all said the same. I'm pulling for an on-time delivery but rumors are swirling unofficially that the ship could be delayed a week. Here's hoping for all that those are just rumors!! :eek:

Sea trials that close to delivery don't give much wiggle room in case something else (heaven forbid) should go wrong. I know the crew are helping as much as possible to get everything done as well. :) Keep your fingers and toes crossed!!! :D

It's great to see that the sea trials have been given a date. All reports I got from people onboard the Spirit this week say there is a LOT of work left to be done and other crew friends I know who transferred to the Epic have all said the same. I'm pulling for an on-time delivery but rumors are swirling unofficially that the ship could be delayed a week. Here's hoping for all that those are just rumors!! :eek:

Sea trials that close to delivery don't give much wiggle room in case something else (heaven forbid) should go wrong. I know the crew are helping as much as possible to get everything done as well. :) Keep your fingers and toes crossed!!! :D

Keep in mind that even if the delivery is delayed a week it still wouldn't affect the T/A. They got a little bit of wiggle room to play with still.

Y'know, even if the delivery is delayed and the TA is delayed a little, there is even wiggle room on the other end--remember that the TA arrives 7/1 but I don't think it is supposed to be in Miami until 7/8? So if need be I'd think that's some emergency slack that's been cut. I can't see them delaying the TA, but on the remote possibility that they do, I for one will just wait it out in Southampton--they've gotta do the TA one way or another!

Y'know, even if the delivery is delayed and the TA is delayed a little, there is even wiggle room on the other end--remember that the TA arrives 7/1 but I don't think it is supposed to be in Miami until 7/8? So if need be I'd think that's some emergency slack that's been cut. I can't see them delaying the TA, but on the remote possibility that they do, I for one will just wait it out in Southampton--they've gotta do the TA one way or another!

I doubt NCL would be very happy about missing the July 4th fireworks in NYC that they likely paid many pennies for.

Plus, I'm pretty sure STX would know by now if they're that far behind there's no way they would make the June 15 delivery date and would make the announcement saying so. Unless of course you're one of those people who thinks both NCL and STX Europe is purposely hiding this information for some shortsighted reasons... :rolleyes:

Whichever the case, we'll definitely know more by or during the June 2nd webcast.

Where can I find information on the webcast?

They usually post it on their FB site, I can never seem to catch their announcement though so I just find out from other posting the dates on here. :D

Here's the post from time2cruise1:

Turning on the news again

Norwegian Cruise Line Join @NCLFreestyle on Wed., June 2 at 3:30 p.m. for the next "Inside Norwegian Cruise Line" live web event to hear the latest fleet and #Epic news.

Register here for the next "Inside Norwegian Cruise Line" live web event

video.webcasts.com

All reports I got from people onboard the Spirit this week say there is a LOT of work left to be done and other crew friends I know who transferred to the Epic have all said the same.

Just curious but the work that is left to be done...is that something that the NCL cruise workers can do or is it work that only the shipyard workers can do? Also did the fire have any impact on the workload?

If it's only cosmetic work maybe they can do some of the work between July 1 and July 7? :confused:

Just curious but the work that is left to be done...is that something that the NCL cruise workers can do or is it work that only the shipyard workers can do? Also did the fire have any impact on the workload?

If it's only cosmetic work maybe they can do some of the work between July 1 and July 7? :confused:

From what I've heard it's a lot of what the shipbuilders at STX have left to do. There are still some public areas that are unfinished and the fire repair work is just added extra that wasn't of course taken into consideration with all this. The engine wasn't either so they're racing against the clock. I don't think NCL is lying to the public about the delivery time though so maybe they've brought on extra STX shipbuilding folks to get it done on time. From what I've gotten for info the primary importance is fixing the fire area because the wiring was very crucial. They can't get the ship out to sea trials if they don't have proper communication in line.

The crew is setting up the passenger cabins and the public spaces that are nearly completed and helping with the clean up of public areas with dust and stuff that was left behind. They're also getting familiar with and ensuring that equipment is functioning properly. :)

http://www.meretmarine.com/article.cfm?id=113296

Norwegian Epic: STX France and NCL maintain delivery to June 15

31/05/2010

The shipyards of Saint-Nazaire is on a war footing to complete on time the Norwegian Epic. Biggest liner made so far by STX France, the great ship of 326 meters and 153,000 tons must carry out its second round of sea trials June 11 to 13, just before delivery, scheduled June 15 While various rumors for weeks about a possible delay in the completion of the "C33", as it is known in construction sites, STX and its client, the owner NCL, maintain the schedule. "There is no change, the ship's inaugural schedule beginning June 19 in Rotterdam, has told Navy Sea and the shipowner, the American company Norwegian Cruise Line. For the Epic is in the Netherlands in time to be presented to the European market, it will have to leave St. Nazaire on June 15, the date that it also maintains the yards. The construction of this prototype, very innovative, has proved difficult, we knew for several months STX on the go to stay on schedule. In addition, teams were forced to deal with two unexpected events: The replacement of a severely damaged engine March 26, then the mysterious fire of May 3 Effected on the back, in a technical bridge 4, the disaster resulted in major damage to the wiring. He thus had to shoot 80 km of cables and make the necessary connections, work recently completed.

In this context, STX has mobilized all its resources to meet deadlines, despite the uncertainties, overturning the initial schedule (change a motor in dry dock, postponement of the second sea trials ..) Currently, not months of 2300 employees of the shipyard and its subcontractors are on board, plus crew members now in 1500, involved for example in setting up the furniture. Most efforts are now focused on the completion of all 2,109 cabins and suites, as well as some public buildings whose outcome has been delayed.

After a weekend presentation in Rotterdam, the Norwegian Epic must sail June 24 from Southampton for a transatlantic take him to New York on July 1. There he is baptized with great pomp before joining Miami and offer one-week cruises in the Caribbean. From May 2011, the ship will return to Europe. He will sail in the Mediterranean until October, producing from Barcelona 7 nights crossing.

Translation courtesy of Google

You know, STX had taken a lot of shots from people, but if they can delivery the Epic on time and without much difficulties I think they actually would have done a pretty decent job and deserves a pat on the back.

Thanks for the update boeckli.

You know, STX had taken a lot of shots from people, but if they can delivery the Epic on time and without much difficulties I think they actually would have done a pretty decent job and deserves a pat on the back.

Thanks for the update boeckli.

My pleasure - happy to pass on positive news :)

Boeckli - thanks to much for the translation and info! I've got to admit I was pretty crushed after reading about the fire :(

Looks like the TA is full steam ahead - I can't wait until they get the EPIC out to sea!

Does anyone know what the sea trials consist of? Do they make the captain do a "parallel parking test"? like at the DMV?

Also using the marinetraffic website when you click on the ships details it shows the maximum speed for the Epic at 37.6 knots! :eek: Could that be a reason they "blew an engine"?

Most cruise ships have a maximum speed of 25 knots how they heck did they get this monster going that fast? I'm sure that it's probably a misprint. In all seriousness what happens during the sea trials? :confused:

Boeckli - thanks to much for the translation and info! I've got to admit I was pretty crushed after reading about the fire :(

Looks like the TA is full steam ahead - I can't wait until they get the EPIC out to sea!

Does anyone know what the sea trials consist of? Do they make the captain do a "parallel parking test"? like at the DMV?

Also using the marinetraffic website when you click on the ships details it shows the maximum speed for the Epic at 37.6 knots! :eek: Could that be a reason they "blew an engine"?

Most cruise ships have a maximum speed of 25 knots how they heck did they get this monster going that fast? I'm sure that it's probably a misprint. In all seriousness what happens during the sea trials? :confused:

Ya the 37.6 can't be real. Can she even do 27 knots? I think her maximum cruising/service speed is only 23 knots.

I don't have the full list of what they do on sea trials, but they test the stability, speed, stopping, acceleration, how hard it can turn, etc.

Here's the wiki on sea trials. Wikipedia is never a good source for info, but it gives you a decent idea anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_trial

That has to be a typo. I've seen sites listing her as 100M long too :)

Sea trials are used to test all of the various components involved in propulsion, maneuvering, stopping ability, navigation/electronics, etc. They want to make sure it's sea-worthy. After running at speed for a while they will examine the engines and rest of the drivetrain to make sure tolerances and wear points are within spec, etc. Representatives from the shipyard and the major equipment providers (e.g. engines, navigation, safety) will typically be on board to test and monitor what's going on. For pax ships they also assess stability and "smoothness" to determine how the ship will feel to passengers.

That has to be a typo. I've seen sites listing her as 100M long too :)

Sea trials are used to test all of the various components involved in propulsion, maneuvering, stopping ability, navigation/electronics, etc. They want to make sure it's sea-worthy. After running at speed for a while they will examine the engines and rest of the drivetrain to make sure tolerances and wear points are within spec, etc. Representatives from the shipyard and the major equipment providers (e.g. engines, navigation, safety) will typically be on board to test and monitor what's going on. For pax ships they also assess stability and "smoothness" to determine how the ship will feel to passengers.

And the push the ship to make sure it hits all specks. Top speed, comfort under sharp turns. From th efirst sea trials:

15zjno4.jpg

thanks for the info all - looking at the course for their first sea trials I wouldn't have wanted to be in the dining room when they did that 180 degree turn! :eek:

I wonder if they could construct some kind of 50 foot wave to hit the ship broadside to make sure it wouldn't be like the Poseiden Adventure! Is it just me or with the ships design does it look top heavy or what?

Was it during the first sea trial when the shipyard found the engine trouble or did that happen before the first sea trials?

thanks for the info all - looking at the course for their first sea trials I wouldn't have wanted to be in the dining room when they did that 180 degree turn! :eek:

I wonder if they could construct some kind of 50 foot wave to hit the ship broadside to make sure it wouldn't be like the Poseiden Adventure! Is it just me or with the ships design does it look top heavy or what?

Was it during the first sea trial when the shipyard found the engine trouble or did that happen before the first sea trials?

Well after the first sea trial

The damage occurred March 26 on one of the six MaK diesel engines of the ship Norwegian Epic could have important consequences for STX France.

The Epic LOOKS a little top heavy because of the hat, but it's not a top heavy design.

If you look at a side shot of her, the Epic actually is quite well proportioned. Now, if the entire ship is the same height as the Villa complex, then perhaps it really would be top heavy and too tall for safety.

Personally, no ship look more top heavy than the Oasis.

And the push the ship to make sure it hits all specks. Top speed, comfort under sharp turns. From th efirst sea trials:

15zjno4.jpg

Right. They will push her to make sure the ship meets or exceeds the minimum performance requirements for speed, maneuverability, stopping/turning, etc. Otherwise NCL can refuse delivery of the ship.

Cool diagram for the sea trials! I can't wait to "watch" the next trials from the comfort of my den. :)

Right. They will push her to make sure the ship meets or exceeds the minimum performance requirements for speed, maneuverability, stopping/turning, etc. Otherwise NCL can refuse delivery of the ship.

Cool diagram for the sea trials! I can't wait to "watch" the next trials from the comfort of my den. :)

I wonder if they are going to boot the crew off the ship for the sea trials?? I know when they did some sort of listing thing a short while back that the crew was taken off the ship for it. Can't wait to see how she does when they put her through her paces. Last few pictures I've seen of the bridge in the recent few weeks show it still torn apart with wiring exposed and such so I guess they're still working on the damage from the fire?? :cool: Either way... I'm sure she'll do fine on her sea trials! :D

Archived