Balt to NJ via Amtrak, then PATH to pier??? Overnight without car.

We are probably booking a cruise that sails out of Cape Liberty (Explorer of Seas). I think we will take AMTRAK up from BWI/Baltimore. However, I am not sure AMTRAK gets in early enough for a cruise departure the same day. We would like to see Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty, so maybe coming in a day early would be wise.

If we don't have a car, is there a hotel easily accessible from one of the train stops? We will have 4 people and luggage for a 9 day cruise, so hauling it all over isn't too feasible.

Should I look for a hotel/cruise package? I don't need the parking though.

Has anyone done this?

Thank you so much!

What date are you looking at? Do you need 1 or 2 hotel rooms. It is certainly possible to take an early train from Baltimore for a same day sailing out of Cape Liberty.

Even if you come a day early, you may not have enough time to do Ellis Island and the SOL unless you are willing to spend money on cabs to get around. If you cannot manage your luggage, your hotel choices will be limited unless you use a cab.

The most accessible hotel from the train is the Newark Penn Station Hilton, which tends to be pricey. There are lots of hotels at Newark airport, but to get to them via the free shuttle you must be able to wheel your luggage from the Newark Airport station up the escalators to the monorail and ride to the P4 station to pick up a hotel shuttle.

Marylandteachergirl...

BWI to NWK on Amtrak should only take 2.5 hrs if there are no delays. I believe a taxi from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty would take another 30 minutes or so.

Do most of the Explorer cruises sail at 4 or 5pm?

Explorer sails at 4 or 5, so you have to be at the pier no later than 2:30-3:00.

With 4 people, I'm wondering why driving is not an option.

Right, so they have plenty of time for the train.

Well, I know many people don't like getting off a ship and driving 3+ hours home. ;)

The problem is not the train - it's getting to NJ and getting to a hotel to drop off luggage and getting to Ellis Island and the SOL all in one day. It sounds like they don't think they will be able to manage luggage, so that limits their options as well.

The problem is not the train - it's getting to NJ and getting to a hotel to drop off luggage and getting to Ellis Island and the SOL all in one day. It sounds like they don't think they will be able to manage luggage, so that limits their options as well.

Oh, I completely agree.

I would schedule the SOL and Ellis Island visits for another time or extend the stay on the front or back end of the cruise. Too much for one day for sure. The OP mentions coming up a day early....that could work.

I don't think coming a day early will work well - unless they leave on an o'dark hundred train, they will not get to Newark until 10-11 am. Then they have to get to the hotel to get rid of luggage, and then get to Liberty State Park to take the ferry to Ellis Island and the SOL. I think it would require a cab or car service to get even 1/2 day at these destinations.

My mind always goes to Manhattan. Stay downtown near Battery Park, grab the ferry, see both, next day get to Cape Liberty. I have no idea of the logistics (I'd never do it) or the cost, but that's the plan that was in my head when I said come in a day before. :D

You know me, my motto is "keep it simple". I would Amtrak it or drive the morning of the cruise, if Amtrak hire a car service or taxi it to the port and call it a day. Since the OP is an easy Amtrak ride away, save the sightseeing for a totally separate trip. ;)

We've had several folks do Ellis Island and the SOL at the end of the cruise and it has worked for them. The folks who are returning to Europe have really late flights, luggage, and nothing to do all day. They disembark early, take a shuttle to Newark Airport and rent a car. They store their luggage in a car, drive to Liberty State Park, and do Ellis Island and the SOL. You could consider a similar plan.

Let's see if we hear back from her. They could stay overnight in Newark or hop a late train to Baltimore. Their choice, but it may be worth returning to Baltimore that evening to save the hotel cost.

If they come into Newark and go to the pier on the same day, then we need to recommend going to Newark Penn Station and taking a cab or car service instead of going to Newark Airport station.

If the final decision is to go directly from the train to the ship, use the Amtrak Station at Newark Liberty Airport. It is closer, and therefore should be cheaper, than using Penn Station in Newark itself. The Amtrak Station Code is the same as the airport code: EWR. Don't confuse it with Newark station NWK.

Check the schedules; all trains from Baltimore do not stop there. At present, this would be your best bet:

174 Northeast Regional [Costs $100]

Penn Station

(BALTIMORE)

Departs: 11:10 AMBaltimore, MD - Penn Station (BAL)

Station News Arrives: 1:20 PM

Newark, NJ - International Airport (EWR) Newark, NJ

International Airport(EWR)

Duration: 2 hr, 10 min Amenities

The next earlier train arrives at Newark Airport at 10:30 AM. The next later train arrives too late to catch the ship, I believe.

Chesterpeake - your information is not 100% accurate. It actually costs more to go to Newark Airport Station (EWR) and will be much less convenient for the OP. There is an extra charge for using Newark Airport Station. Additionally, there is no external access to the EWR station (i.e. cars, cabs, etc). Travelers must take their luggage up the escalator or elevator to the monorail and ride to one of the terminal stations, where they must bring their luggage down several flights via escalator or elevator to get a cab. Newark Penn Station is cheaper and the access to cabs is downstairs in the terminal.

We can't really give advice about Amtrak because the OP has not told us what date she would be traveling. However, IMO the train you suggested arriving at 1:20 pm is cutting it way too close - no wiggle room to allow for any kind of delay.

We appreciate your help. Unfortunately, Amtrak schedules and prices can vary a lot depending on the day of the week. Cruises from Bayonne leave on weekdays, Saturdays, and Sundays, so it's really not possible to give a good quote without knowing the exact date or day of the week. Then there's the issue of the surcharge and logistics for Newark Airport which has been discussed many times. Timing is also important. Most cruises sail at 4 pm, so the absolute drop dead time to arrive is 3 pm. Typcially, we do not recommend trains which are scheduled to arrive after 12 noon.

Marylandteachergirl: Have a good 14 days to the END:D

I just checked the SWA site when I saw that the price for the train was $100. the flight on some days in June was only $69pp BWI to LGA (LaGuadia in New York City). Then you could take a transfer instead of a cab or you could take a cab/super shuttle to the port. Also I think that the ship will take your luggage directly and you don't have to schlep it at all. SWA has no baggage fees -- another consideration. We will be coming back from Quebec City to NYC in Sept. and I planned on the train but it looks like it might be cheaper to fly -- specially if there is a DING!

I have done the New Jersey to BWI route BACK from a transatlantic cruise on Celebrity (Cape Banyonne) and can tell you that the port is container ship ugly and no sidewalks or way to walk out. We had a real problem with world leaders being in NYC for the United Nations (Sarah Pallin was introduced that day to UN by President Bush) but lacking that 5 hour delay I can see the train working well. Port is about 1.5 miles from the Newark airport stop across a spaghetti of roads. You do enter at the airport and take the little train to Amtrack. I am a rather large and fluffy retired teacher and I had no problem with suitcases (1 rolling and 1 rolling hand luggage). There were about 6 groups from our ship on the train.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. So many options to consider. It's not that we can't handle luggage. We are early 40's parents with 2 teens. I just didn't want to pull luggage through Ellis Island.... trying to envision how all of that would work. As far as AMTRAK, we were thinking it would be less expensive than parking for 9 days, but maybe not. I hate Baltimore traffic, so the idea of New York traffic terrifies me.

Sailing out of Baltimore would indeed be easier, but the ships are smaller to pass under the Bay Bridge. We loved AOS last year and think the kids would find more to do on that class of ship.

At this stage, I am still at the dreaming/not booked yet stage, but getting closer....

Sorry for the delay in responding. End of school year craziness was far worse this year than usual. Thank you all for the information and ideas to consider. I really do appreciate it.

You can't take luggage to Ellis Island and the SOL because of the security, so that's not an option. IMO driving to Bayonne is not in the same league with driving into NYC. The NJ turnpike is actually a really good road from exit 8 to exit 14. There are 3 car lanes and 3-4 car/truck lanes. Except for the height of rush hour, it's a busy road, but very driveable. The entrance to the port is about 1 mile from the exit 14A toll booth. Traffic can be bumper to bumper into the port, but who cares at that point - you are there!

Archived