Just Back from Excellent Cruise on Solstice (5-23 Western Caribbean Mini Review)

seacruise9

Hi,

I booked the Roatan Island Tour and Highlights through the ship. We had some photo and shopping stops and went to a zoo (with iguanas running loose that we could feed). We stopped at a nice resort for a fair amount of time. The resort was located on a man made lagoon near the ocean. There was a beach, but no one from the tour went swimming (this was not advertised as a beach tour). If you want beach time, this would not be the best tour for you.

I would not call the atmosphere too "sedate." For example, the Groove Interactive Theme Paty was a lot of fun. In the Grand Foyer one evening, the ship's singers performed some 1960's songs and the ship's dancers were part of the act. Four passengers were dressed up as the Beatles by the cruise staff and lip synched to some Beatles songs. Many passengers of all ages participated and danced. Everyone seemed to have a great time. Also, there was a party on deck one night (that I didn't attend). The atmosphere is much more lively than Holland America. I thought the atmosphere was fun (but still elegant in many respects).

Chuck

My family of four will be on Solstice Aug 1 for our very first cruise. Any suggestions for a day excursion in Georgetown, Grand Cayman?? (My DW is interested in glass-bottom boat or mild adventure tour, like zip line).

I made a reservation for Maya Chan beach resort in Costa Maya. Great reviews on tripadvisor.

How much in advance should we reserve dining at Murano? Is the MDR (Grand Epernay) a buffet or table service?

Thanks for all the great information.

Hi,

In Grand Cayman, I have gone to Seven Mile Beach on previous cruises. It is an excellent beach. My tablemates went to Sting Ray City and had a great time.

I booked my cruise only about one month in advance. Approximately two weeks before the cruise, I decided to make a reservation for a specialty restaurant. By this time, only very limited times (very late) were available for Murano. This room is fairly small. I recommend making a reservation for Murano as soon as possible. I was able to make an advance reservation for the Tuscan Grille for a reasonable time and enjoyed it.

The Grand Epernay Restaurant usually is table service. However, the brunch on the first sea day was a (beautiful) buffet.

Chuck

Hi,

In Grand Cayman, I have gone to Seven Mile Beach on previous cruises. It is an excellent beach. My tablemates went to Sting Ray City and had a great time.

I booked my cruise only about one month in advance. Approximately two weeks before the cruise, I decided to make a reservation for a specialty restaurant. By this time, only very limited times (very late) were available for Murano. This room is fairly small. I recommend making a reservation for Murano as soon as possible. I was able to make an advance reservation for the Tuscan Grille for a reasonable time and enjoyed it.

The Grand Epernay Restaurant usually is table service. However, the brunch on the first sea day was a (beautiful) buffet.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, since I am first time to Celebrity I am assuming that on the Formal ngiht that in the Main dining room the menu is a bit more special and not to be missed so we will want to go to Murano and Tuscan Grille on a different night. Can you twll me what nights were the Formal nights?

Hi,

The formal nights were Monday (the first sea day) and Friday (after the stop at Roatan). I agree that it would be best to eat in the speciality restaurants on a night that is not formal. I dined in the Tuscan Grille on Wednesday night.

Also, the evening shows usually are at 7:00 and 9:00 and are an hour long. You may want to keep this mind when deciding on a time for your reservations.

Chuck

My family of four will be on Solstice Aug 1 for our very first cruise. Any suggestions for a day excursion in Georgetown, Grand Cayman?? (My DW is interested in glass-bottom boat or mild adventure tour, like zip line).

I made a reservation for Maya Chan beach resort in Costa Maya. Great reviews on tripadvisor.

How much in advance should we reserve dining at Murano? Is the MDR (Grand Epernay) a buffet or table service?

Thanks for all the great information.

Hello geodesist.....welcome to cruising!

In reference to your question about a tour in Grand Cayman, my DW & I enjoyed the semi-submersible submarine tour. It was something to see all the fish gather around the diver that got out of the sub and started feeding the fish. I've attached a picture. We also did a glass bottom boat tour on HAL's private island and that too was interesting. On that tour, the guide allowed us to hold a starfish that we saw. Either type of tour should be interesting for your family.

Hope you folks have a wonderful cruise.

100_0164.jpg.b8f387d00845773d1ea06c3b9428466e.jpg

100_0106.jpg.6c34e393dfe7d81eb8e3c7ebd2f5ca15.jpg

Hi Chuck-

Thanks for all the great information and answering so many questions...yet a few more:

We have booked a private tour similar to "The Best of Roatan" offered by Celebrity. Unlike yourself, I travel with 5 others and the difference for 1 compared to 6..., well you understand. If you remember, does the ship change its clocks, if so which nights? Or, asking the same question, can you compare Roatan-time to ship-time?

I have read other boards about the internet on the Solstice, any information given from the staff about when the problem will be fixed?

Thanks, -Bob

Hi Bob,

The time changes were Tuesday night and Friday night.

Specifically: For Grand Cayman, we stayed on eastern (Florida) time. They made a point of telling us to stay on the ship's time. That night (Tuesday), we gained an hour (changed to central time). The ship remained on central time for the other three ports. On Friday night (after leaving Roatan), we lost the hour and changed back to eastern time.

They did not indicate when the Internet problem would be fixed. However, they said that the problem was not on the ship but was caused by a shore-based server. The Internet connection was very sporadic.

Chuck

Specifically: For Grand Cayman, we stayed on eastern (Florida) time. They made a point of telling us to stay on the ship's time. That night (Tuesday)

Hi Chuck,

Do you remember what time the last tender left Grand Caymen (EST)?

Chuck, thank you so much for this wonderful review. It makes me all the more excited about our October cruise on Solstice. We'll be doing the Eastern Caribbean, but it sounds like we are in for a treat on the ship. I have devoured all the pictures I've seen of this beautiful ship.

You mentioned on another thread that you'd recently done this cruise so I had to put on my PI hat to find your review! I've been away for a couple of weeks and missed a lot!

Thanks again ... I can't wait!:)

Archived