Destiny 5 day E. Caribbean Advice

OKLandShark

I am finally getting around to posting this for any advice everyone has for us. I have gone through a lot of the past threads for both this section and the FL departures board. I have picked up some great info, but there are so many threads to go through.

Any help for best shore excursions and hotels in Miami for the night before, etc.

The cruise leaves monday Oct 4th and we are flying in on Oct 3rd to MIA airport.

We would like to stay either near the airport or downtown near Bayside by the port. Any suggestions would be great, TIA.

I believe your ports are HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau?

HMC is GORGEOUS - a great beach day - not sure if you are 'beach people'? You can swim/snorkel, sunbathe or try some horseback riding, parasailing, etc - You can even rent a cabana and chill out all day.

Grand Turk - the ship docks right next to the beach complete with rows of loungers and Margaritaville - where you can use the pool for free. There is also some great diving and snorkelling there. You can walk down the beach to Jack's shack or take a tour of the island.....

Nassau - if you have never been there are a few things to see - some people like to visit Atlantis or haggle at the straw market downtown. You can walk down the main street and get a daypass at the British Colonial Hilton (use of pool/beach/facilities) for $40 or get one for the Wyndham or some other hotel (but will need transportation). Other nice spots include the Blue Lagoon (beach and/or dolphin experience) or the twister boat to Blackbeard's Cay.

check the 'ports of call' boards for these ports for more ideas and recommendations.

As for a pre-cruise hotel in Miamia I would definitely recomend trying Hotwire or Priceline (we scored the 4 star Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami this past January for $65!)

We stayed at the Holday Inn Port of Miami directly across from Bayside Market the night before our cruise on the Destiny. We found it to be very clean and a nice hotel. You can see the ship come in from the hotel window the morning of your cruise. We ate both supper and breakfast at the bayside market. There is a CVS Pharmacy one block away that had everything extra we needed. Was very coveinent and wonderful place to stay!

I have stayed at Intercontinental and the Holiday Inn. I prefered the Holiday Inn because it was closer to Bay Side Market. There was plenty of people walking around and I felt very safe walking from that location. Few people were walking from the Intercontinental to Bay Side Market while I was staying there. There are a few CVS stores in walking distance in the area to pick up soda and wine.

You'll get more responses if you post this question on the FLA departures board (sub-board under East Coast).;)

Lots of folks have luck with Priceline and Hotwire bidding for downtown Miami hotels - Hyatt, Doubletree and Marriott Biscayne often come up. About a $25 cab ride from MIA and another $10-12 to get to POM in the morning. No beach downtown :mad: - you'll need to go over to Miami Beach if you arrive early enough and want sand between your toes.

If you are arriving later and want to stay near MIA then look for hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites and others) - shopping and dining options near by. A cab to POM from these hotels will cost under $30 including tip.

Good luck!:)

You'll get more responses if you post this question on the FLA departures board (sub-board under East Coast).;)

I'll post this over there, honestly, I just haven't got to doing that yet. Thanks for the help.

Being that both my wife and I are baseball fans, we may try to fly in on Saturday the 2nd and try to catch the Marlins last reg. season game on Sunday(even though there probably won't be much of a crowd for the Marlins and Pirates).

Archived