embarking and disembarking in Brooklyn

Cape Cod Sally

We are going on our first Queen Mary voyage on June 7th. My husband has lots of medical equipment because he needs extra oxygen--he has a concentrator,etc,etc. We are getting a ride to and from Cape Cod. Will it be hard when we arrive at the port to find help with luggage? Can anyone give me tips on both arriving and then when the voyage is over-24 days later-. We need to give the person picking us up at the end of the trip some idea of when we will be off the ship. Am sure lots of you are experienced with these procedures.

Many thanks,

Sally:)

Sally, there will be plenty of porters to help with luggage when you arrive. Your friend can drive up to the drop off point, let them take the luggage, drop you off and then circle around to leave the port area.

We drive down from NH and park at the terminal when we go, in fact we're going for a few weeks in August and will be leaving our car there.

It doesn't sound like you'd be interested in self-disembarkation when you come back. This is where you would leave the ship very early, but have to manage your own luggage.

Since we always do self disembarkation, I can't tell you if porters are available in the luggage area at the end of the trip. I know I've seen carts, but others will hopefully be able to answer that question.

I have noticed a sort of staging area for limos and the like near the terminal, I don't know if private cars are allowed to wait there. If not, your friend could just park in the large parking lot, I don't know what they charge for an hourly rate. From there they could come to the pick up area when you call. The parking lot is about 300 feet from the terminal.

HAve a great trip!

We are going on our first Queen Mary voyage on June 7th. My husband has lots of medical equipment because he needs extra oxygen--he has a concentrator,etc,etc. We are getting a ride to and from Cape Cod. Will it be hard when we arrive at the port to find help with luggage? Can anyone give me tips on both arriving and then when the voyage is over-24 days later-. We need to give the person picking us up at the end of the trip some idea of when we will be off the ship. Am sure lots of you are experienced with these procedures.

Many thanks,

Hi Sally. From my experience of six QM2 voyages departing from Brooklyn, there was no problem getting help with either off loading or on loading luggage. The time you disembark is dependent on the category you booked, or by special arrangement with Cunard.

My mom also needed extra oxygen, and so I am aware of the special concerns associated with transport of oxygen. Have you spoken with Cunard about your concerns? I believe they are very helpful with such matters.

As you know, it's a long drive from Cape Cod to NY (I've done the trip a few times). If friends are driving you, perhaps they'd consider driving down the night before you disemark at staying at a local hotel? Ask if you want more info hotels close to the Brooklyn Terminal.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

It may be difficult to give an estimate of when you will disembark since ships can be late - a few Sundays ago the Caribbean Princess arrived late (as did the other ships also coming from Bermuda due to rough weather)and then the ship damaged one of the gangways when it docked in the heavy winds.

If your friends are coming to pick you up they would be able to wait in the lot just outside terminal pick-up area that is set aside for that purpose and if you have a cell phone you can call them when you are past the immigration/customs area (just don't use yoru phone in that area - they get nasty about it!). Your friends will be able to drive up to the pick-up area. I did this to pick up friends that were on the Caribbean Princess.

Many thanks,

There will be plenty of porters to help. If you do "self disembarkation" there will be porters as well, but you still have to get yourself & the luggage off the ship. Cunard does have transfers where you will be bussed to the airport, if that's where you're going.

Archived