Must have called a bad TA

divingmedic

Booked our first cruise yesterday:D, had to cancel it today:( ( work refuses to let me off that week.):mad:

So I called a local travel agency to see what kind of price they could get me on different cruise than we had planned. She quoted me a price about $800.00 over what I could get it for from booking through Carnival. Thought travel agencies were supposed to get better deals than you could through your own booking?

We almost always book directly through the cruise line...yes, a TA may be able to get you some on board credit or a nice treat like a bottle of wine in your room...but when it all come down to your vacation would you rather have control of it or have to go through a third party for every thing. Maybe that makes me a little OCD but I like to know I can do what I need to do when I need to do it with out the third party hassel. JMHO :)

We almost always book directly through the cruise line...yes, a TA may be able to get you some on board credit or a nice treat like a bottle of wine in your room...but when it all come down to your vacation would you rather have control of it or have to go through a third party for every thing. Maybe that makes me a little OCD but I like to know I can do what I need to do when I need to do it with out the third party hassel. JMHO :)

Well said and I agree!

Booked our first cruise yesterday:D, had to cancel it today:( ( work refuses to let me off that week.):mad:

So I called a local travel agency to see what kind of price they could get me on different cruise than we had planned. She quoted me a price about $800.00 over what I could get it for from booking through Carnival. Thought travel agencies were supposed to get better deals than you could through your own booking?

Not all the time...and cruise prices do vary from week to week, depending on demand!

Cruise prices varying from week to week while being true and informative for the OP, has nothing to do with the OP's statement highlighted in red.

OP.... if the TA you are working with was charging $800.00 higher fares than thru the cruiseline (which I find almost unbelievable and an exxageration)..... I'd steer clear of that TA in the future for sure !

It is true that travel agencies cannot "advertise" a lower fare than the cruiseline is selling for, but they can "rebate some commission" to offer a lower fare when you speak to them direct or via email. And many times an agency will have some group space available, that you may be able to jump in on that was purchased at a lower fare than currently being offered on a cruiselines website. Just some FYI for future cruise booking :D

Cruise prices varying from week to week while being true and informative for the OP, has nothing to do with the OP's statement highlighted in red.

OP.... if the TA you are working with was charging $800.00 higher fares than thru the cruiseline (which I find almost unbelievable and an exxageration)..... I'd steer clear of that TA in the future for sure !

It is true that travel agencies cannot "advertise" a lower fare than the cruiseline is selling for, but they can "rebate some commission" to offer a lower fare when you speak to them direct or via email. And many times an agency will have some group space available, that you may be able to jump in on that was purchased at a lower fare than currently being offered on a cruiselines website. Just some FYI for future cruise booking :D

Not ALL cruise lines prohibit TA's from advertising a lower fare.

Maybe the TA does not have the current price for the cruise the OP is interested in.

Are you certain the TA was giving you the price for the *exact same cruise, same cabin location, etc.?* Cabin categories can be very confusing, even for long-time cruisers. One small change in category can be a big difference in price...

Anyway..yes, if the price was that much greater with no real explanation, find another agent (or book directly)!

Was it for exactly the same week, type of cabin, etc? That difference in price is just to much to be accurate. Cruise prices vary even from week to week.

It might be a good idea in the future to get the time off work first, then plan a vacation.

Not ALL cruise lines prohibit TA's from advertising a lower fare.

Maybe the TA does not have the current price for the cruise the OP is interested in.

OP was speaking SPECIFICALLY about Carnival thus my response regarding advertising SPECIFIC to Carnival !:rolleyes:

OP was speaking SPECIFICALLY about Carnival thus my response regarding advertising SPECIFIC to Carnival !:rolleyes:

I picked this TA at random from the phone book. I just called for giggles, as I always prefer to book things myself. I had the Carnival web site open and listened as she quoted me Suite price when I asked her for interior room. I told her I had not done any research into cruises and knew nothing about them, I mostly called to just to see what they would say and do. I then googled the TA and found out it was an apartment in another part of town. I am a very educated consumer and never do anything without doing my research first.

I picked this TA at random from the phone book. I just called for giggles, as I always prefer to book things myself. I had the Carnival web site open and listened as she quoted me Suite price when I asked her for interior room. I told her I had not done any research into cruises and knew nothing about them, I mostly called to just to see what they would say and do. I then googled the TA and found out it was an apartment in another part of town. I am a very educated consumer and never do anything without doing my research first.

I know a lot of TA's...mine included..that work from their home (she does have a "head office", but she reports in from home, and only appears in the office once a month for a staff meeting, or if there is something she needs from there.) So that in itself should not be a deterrent to identifying a "good TA".

So the room she quoted you was not what you'd found on the web site. So your post was misleading from the start. What exactly is your point?

I know a lot of TA's...mine included..that work from their home (she does have a "head office", but she reports in from home, and only appears in the office once a month for a staff meeting, or if there is something she needs from there.) So that in itself should not be a deterrent to identifying a "good TA".

So the room she quoted you was not what you'd found on the web site. So your post was misleading from the start. What exactly is your point?

No my post was not misleading. I asked her a price for a interior room. She qouted me a suite price and told me that was the price for an interior room. The TA was misleading me.

No my post was not misleading. I asked her a price for a interior room. She qouted me a suite price and told me that was the price for an interior room. The TA was misleading me.

Not trying to defend the TA but, the TA could not charge you for a suite and then provide you with an interior stateroom.....sounds like she made an error or misunderstood you to start with.

I never accused you of being an uneducated consumer... don't know why you would even make that statement. You asked a question and I gave you a valid response and perhaps a few tips regarding what TA's can and cannot do when booking a CCL cruise along with possible rate scenarios you may encounter that you may or may not have been aware of. Oh wait... you are an ejikated kunsumir ! :)

But nowhere in your post did you mention Carnival. :rolleyes:

Archived