Taxi's at San Pietro Station?

helencw

We're planning to take the train from port to the San Pietro Station in Rome in July. My mom cannot walk more than 2 blocks due to a back problem. Are there taxi's at the station that would take us to the entrance of the Vatican Museum? I have a folding transport chair for her and I've prebooked our Vatican tickets. Thanks!

I can offer you a couple of other options, neither of them very good, to be honest. I think calling a radio cab is really your best option.

However, if for some reason you don't want to do that, you could get on the #64 bus, which begins its run at the San Pietro station, and get off at the second stop (Fornaci). One (very short) block from this stop, walking toward the Vatican (the direction the bus is going in) there is a taxi stand, at the intersection of Via delle Fornaci and Via Alessandro III. As a matter of fact, if you create a google map of Via delle Fornaci, 25, Rome, Italy, then use the street view (the little man icon on top of the zoom bar), you can actually see the taxi stand, with a white rome taxi sitting there.

Alternatively, you could get off the train one stop later, at Roma Trastevere, where there is a taxi stand and I've always seen taxis at this station. It's a bit further away, so your taxi fare will be higher and it will take fifteen minutes longer than you planned to get to the museums, but at least you'll know there will be a taxi there when you arrive. (It's about two miles from the San Pietro station to the entrance of the Vatican museums, but nearly five miles from Roma Trastevere.)

Thank you, Euro Cruiser!

I am a bit apprehensive about calling a radio taxi in case they don't speak English. Taking the 64 bus to the taxi stand or going to the next stop at Trastavere to get a taxi are excellent suggestions!

I did a search on http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?lingua=ENG

to find the public transport options, using the option of limited walking. I had trouble inputting Musei Vaticano, and instead used Piazza Risorgimento. The result was taking bus 64, 5 stops to acciatoli, walk 100 meters to bus 23, 4 stops to Piazza Risorgimento. This would take more time, but it would be very economical (free with our birg ticket). Are there pitfalls to doing this?

The ship docks at 8 am, and our tickets for the Vatican are 10:30 am. We'll try to get off the ship as early as possible to get the train. We could also see how we're doing timewise and decide on the train.

Many thanks for your help!

You're on the right track, with the right tool (the atac web site).

I tried it using viale vaticano 100 as the arrival address and got an interesting alternative. The #490 bus from the Roma Aurelia station, for four stops, to CANDIA/MOCENIGO. This does get you closer than Risorgimento. From this stop you walk to the corner and turn right onto Via Tunisi, which dead ends at the entrance of the museums. Via Tunisi is a slightly uphill route, which is an issue when you are pushing someone in a wheelchair. (I've traveled quite a bit in Europe with both my mother and an aunt in wheelchairs, so I'm sensitive to the issue.)

This has another benefit - there is a regional train from Civitavecchia at 8:59 that stops at Roma Aurelia at 9:46. Most of your fellow cruise passengers will be rushing to make a train just before this one, which will give you a little breathing room and, potentially, greater access to seats.

Both routes will have challenges, but both will get you there. I should note that the Roma Aurelia station is quite a bit farther from the entrance to the museums than the San Pietro station is (a little less than four miles, vs. a little more than one mile), so the bus is a requirement. I don't know about taxis at this station.

Edited by euro cruiser

Euro Cruiser, thank you resarching and finding the addtional option of taking the train to Aurelia and then the 490 bus to via Candia. It's comforting to know we can do this if we miss the earlier train or if we can't get a seat for my mom on the earlier train.

I found these great maps on the atac website (Italian only)

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=18&i=14

It looks like the 23 bus continues up Via Leone. Hopefully the stop is not too far up. I think I will ask the other bus passengers whether to get off at Risorgimento or the following stop.

Euro Cruiser, many, many thanks for your help!

The stop you want on the #23 is called Bastioni di Michelangelo, and it's right near the corner you turn to head up Viale Vaticano toward the entrance of the museums.

There's another fun tool on the atac.roma site called "trova linea", you find it on the home page in the middle of the page. If you enter the number of the bus line, you'll get a map specific to the line, with all the stops listed. Then, if you click on a particular stop, you'll see where it is on the map and it will tell you exactly where it is located (you need to read in Italian for this, but it's pretty easy).

For example, here is the zoomed in section of the #23 information you need:

edited to add:

Oops - the picture I had in didn't show up in the post. Here's the link, hopefully it will work: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&xmax=2309691&ymax=4643282&xmin=2308291&ymin=4641882&idmtram=12264&percorso=23A&tipologia=URB&linea=23&impianto=71964&circo=NO

Edited by euro cruiser

Wow! The amount of detail on that website is amazing!

Euro Cruiser, thank you for pointing out the Trova Linea tool!

Now knowing the stops, schedule, and frequency of every bus line, I will be able to plan the entire day of sightseeing by bus, especially the linee elettriche.

I'm also glad we can save money on cabs throughout the day and avoid the metro so my mom won't have to climb too many stairs (and I can minimize having to carry the wheelchair up and down stairs.)

Thank you for your kindness and your help!

• 5 years later...

Recently returned from our cruise to Rome and after reading these posts (all several years old) I was worried about getting a taxi at the Roma San Pietro train station. However, things must have changed in the last few years because when we exited the station there was a taxi stand with several waiting taxis.

There is a taxi stand right outside the station.

There is also a bus stop/bus turnaround for the number 64 (I think) bus. You can hop this bus down the hill and get off just as it enters the underpass. Cross the street and you are at St. Peter's square. This, however, is not an option for your mother since the museum entrence is across the square and behind the wall.