LeHavre Side Trips

BridgeMates

At the port of LeHavre last year, several people told me they planned to visit a nearby town on their own rather than taking a tour all the way to Normandy or Paris. I think they said you could get back and forth by train, but I'm not sure. Don't know how far the train station is from the port.

I understand there is a close-in town called Honfleur which might be only a taxi ride from the pier. Does anyone know? Would 3 women want to go there and just browse, have lunch, etc.?

The other possibility is Ruoen....but it is further away. Would that be a possibility also? Perhaps again by train?

Three of us are trying to determine what we should do.

I'm sure I'll get all the info I need here on CC......thanks.

At the port of LeHavre last year, several people told me they planned to visit a nearby town on their own rather than taking a tour all the way to Normandy or Paris. I think they said you could get back and forth by train, but I'm not sure. Don't know how far the train station is from the port.

I understand there is a close-in town called Honfleur which might be only a taxi ride from the pier. Does anyone know? Would 3 women want to go there and just browse, have lunch, etc.?

The other possibility is Ruoen....but it is further away. Would that be a possibility also? Perhaps again by train?

I don't know about trains, planes, or taxis, but I do know that last year DW and I booked a ship's tour of Rouen and Giverny and it was one of the best we've ever done. Saving a few bucks in very local tours is something we always try to do, but sometimes it pays to spring for a bit extra and this was one of those times. A beautiful April day with an excellent lunch under the trees. Why, I actually forgot the French are not my favorites, but their country sure is.

Honfleur is a wonderful town to stroll around in, very quaint. Lot of sights, cafes, and pastry shops. Check out Rick Steves book

We grabbed a taxi from the dock. There were six of us and I think it was 20 euros each one way. We got the taxi drivers phone number and he came back to get us.

One of the best visits on the cruise.

Honfleur is a pleasant fishing/tourist town less than 1/2hr from Le Havre. But no train service, and a woefully-inadequate bus service, you'll need a taxi/van from the quayside. To reach Honfleur you cross the mouth of the Seine by the impressive Pont de Normandie. Plenty of tourist shops, restaurants, bars etc, and often something going on somewhere around the harbour. English widely-spoken here. Ideal for an easy, un-demanding laid-back day.

Rouen is about an hour away by the frequent fast-train to Paris. Direct, no changes.

John Bull

Hi,

There are endless possibilities from Le Havre, some by train, some by public bus, shorex, hire cars etc. It really is a well positioned port. And the options are very varied too so there is something for everyone.

IF YOU ARE LOGGED ON, you can SEARCH THIS FORUM with eg Le Havre and all previous posts containing those words will appear in the results. You can do the same SEARCH THIS FORUM using eg Honfleur, or Rouen or Etretat, Paris, Giverny whatever. You can also use it on all other boards. It is an excellent way of picking up lots of info as the same questions are frequently asked and not everyone wants to repeat the info over and over. This way, you can read all previous replies.

Saving a few bucks in very local tours is something we always try to do, but sometimes it pays to spring for a bit extra and this was one of those times. A beautiful April day with an excellent lunch under the trees. Why, I actually forgot the French are not my favorites, but their country sure is.

Lots of great options in this area. Agree that spending a little (small in comparison to your overall costs for the total trip) will be wise. It's hard to remember what you never saw. Keep researching and planning.

Here are some notes on nearby options:

ROUEN: A thriving industrial and commercial center and the third largest port in France, Rouen is steeped in history. Both William the Conqueror and Joan of Arc died in the town Victor Hugo called it "the city of a hundred spires". Rouen is home to many museums as well as its famed Gothic Cathedral of Notre-Dame, immortalized by Claude Monet’s paintings.

GIVERNY: This is a pilgrimage for art lovers in this picturesque village (just east of Vernon where the train from Paris took us and we got our car for our day-trip in this area). It is on the banks of the Seine and was the home of French impressionist painter Claude Monet. Visitors can wander through Monet's spacious house and the exuberant gardens. Near these garden is the famed pond and bridge, the inspiration of his famous water lily series.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived