Who calls off the port stop?

xop

Just wondering who makes the decision to call off a port stop for safety reasons? Due to travel advisories to Mexico right now I was just curious. Please don't make this into a debate of Mexico crime rates verses US crime rates, I've already read the other threads on that. Thanks

Just wondering who makes the decision to call off a port stop for safety reasons? Due to travel advisories to Mexico right now I was just curious. Please don't make this into a debate of Mexico crime rates verses US crime rates, I've already read the other threads on that. Thanks

I would venture to guess "corporate" could as could the Captain of the ship. I assume depending on the issue. For example as you mentioned "crime". I think the corporate office would have a better handle on that opposed to the Captain.

However weather, port conditions on the spot etc would probably be left up to the Captain.

I dont think Carnival cruises to any ports in Mexico considered unsafe ..someone mentioned Cancun...thats not close enough to the port cities to call off a port. It would be like cancelling NYC because Rhode Island had a problem...

The only port I can think of called off as unsafe was Roatan when there were riots and demostations over some huge electricity hikes locally.

I would imagine corporate if there is a safety or health issue that they are monitoring, the port if there is a localized weather issue or civil unrest or the captain also if there is a weather issue or time factor due to a previous medical emergency or mechanical issues. Or me because I got my tail in a knot over not being able to take off food and bring back on booze (only kidding)

They'll always go to Mexico. The cruise director may warn you if there are problems.

Last year our cruise director practically traumatized us from doing anything in Belize. Found out later that was a mistake. It wont happen this time.

Also last year we went about the time Honduras had it's little coup. No warning at all for that port.

The only time we had to miss a port was due to gale winds in St Marteen.

I dont think Carnival cruises to any ports in Mexico considered unsafe ..someone mentioned Cancun...thats not close enough to the port cities to call off a port. It would be like cancelling NYC because Rhode Island had a problem...

Actually Carnival does have excursions which go to Cancun. They leave from the Port of Calica near Playa del Carmen. While the port might not be called off, the excursion could be.

Dave

Archived