Is Triumph delaying departures from New Orleans due to oil spill?

cruzzza

Its a good thing Sargent says there is room for two ships to leave New Orleans at the same time. Triumph has a couple Saturday 7 days a month and Voyager shows it will also be leaving on a Saturday ..wonder why Saturday and not Sunday or one one day and the other the next??

Does the Triumph have oil on the side of the ship near the water line? Or do they make an effort to avoid the spills and plumes?

They avoid the heavy stuff and if needed, there are ship cleaning stations both entering and exiting the Mississippi. Lightly soiled ships can be cleaned while underway. Very few ships have needed cleaning and I haven't heard of Triumph needing any cleaning.

Its a good thing Sargent says there is room for two ships to leave New Orleans at the same time. Triumph has a couple Saturday 7 days a month and Voyager shows it will also be leaving on a Saturday ..wonder why Saturday and not Sunday or one one day and the other the next??

I think NCL will be sailing on Sundays and probably also Carnival Magic!

Prior to Katrina, Grandeur of the Seas and Conquest both sailed on Sundays from New Orleans - Julia St terminals 1 & 2. They have since added the newer Erato Street terminal.

They are going to combine Julia St terminals into one biggun and still have the Erato Street terminal.

A few years ago, Princess did several cruises from the Poland Ave facility. All of those cruises sold out. There are plans in place for a terminal. The dock is already there and I think can handle 5 ships at once, although the Navy or somebody uses a couple of the spots.

[quote name=cruzzza;24764362

And yes' date=' I do find it odd for them to tell you to show up that early. My calls have always said 1:00 I think. That's usually when they tell you to come. I usually end up getting there around 10:30 or 11 every time.[/quote]

Ya never know in New Orleans. Two thoughts come to mind, but pure speculation - maybe an unknown event in the area clogging up traffic in the afternoon - could there be a Presidential visit? Or maybe a convention or festival or...?

Could there be a large group expected to board in the afternoon?

I'm just speculating - I know nothing!

We're leaving on Saturday on the Triumph and got an automated call on my cell telling me the same message "arrive before 10:30 ...". We were going to show up later to not lug around the water and soda all day, but why not show up early and enjoy watching the river traffic while having some lunch. If anyone sees a bald 40-something man lugging around a carry-on bag that looks heavy around 10:30, say Hi. :)

My coworker just got back from the Triumph and was looking for oil to see how bad it was. He told me he couldn't see any on the way back (when it was still daylight).

-Duane

I am going on my cruise in August. Out of South Carolina........ Question is will the oil:mad: be effecting this area at that time.... ?

Not sure where to find the proper place to find the information.....

I love reading your posts......All of you are funny!!:D

There is plenty of room for two ships simultaneously -

http://www.portno.com/pno_pages/cargo_facilities_specs.htm

Carnival Magic won't start cruising from New Orleans until Novemberish, 2011 - by then all the oil will be over by Florida or beyond.

Carnival Magic is going to look so nice in New Orleans!

Sarge, I was talking about the parking and the ability of the terminal and Carnival employees to handle two ships at a time. At times it is all they can do to handle one. I know that there is plenty of room physically for two ships. I love your positive attitude about the Magic coming to our favorite city. I think that New Orleans won John's poll for the new home port. Now if only the bean counters take that into consideration.

Sarge, I was talking about the parking and the ability of the terminal and Carnival employees to handle two ships at a time. At times it is all they can do to handle one. I know that there is plenty of room physically for two ships. I love your positive attitude about the Magic coming to our favorite city. I think that New Orleans won John's poll for the new home port. Now if only the bean counters take that into consideration.

Why would Carnival take the poll into much consideration, when it was so obvious people were cheating big time for two of the ports. lol...We know Sarge was cheating. I think Carnival will know the poll results were from cheating ..if I can tell so can Carnival. I dont even care which port, as long as its N.O. or Galveston.

I too worry how New Orleans is going to handle both Triumph and Voyager on the same day as neither of my embarkations in New Orleans have been very smooth. Very wierd that they would have them both leaving on a Saturday.

I too worry how New Orleans is going to handle both Triumph and Voyager on the same day as neither of my embarkations in New Orleans have been very smooth. Very wierd that they would have them both leaving on a Saturday.

They will handle it just fine because they will be operating from different cruise terminals, each with its own staffing. This will not be the first time two cruise ships have arrived/departed on the same say from New Orleans and NOLA handled it prior to Katrina.

Why would Carnival take the poll into much consideration, when it was so obvious people were cheating big time for two of the ports. lol...We know Sarge was cheating. I think Carnival will know the poll results were from cheating ..if I can tell so can Carnival. I dont even care which port, as long as its N.O. or Galveston.

All I know is that the voting was relatively close and then suddenly Galveston had about a 20 point lead. Hmmmm. :cool:

I don't seem to have the issues other mention about the cruise port? We get a porter and breeze through immigration.

There is lots of parking in the immediate area - when Carnival Magic shows up they may have to lease additional off-site parking, but it still won't be far from the port. It really wouldn't take long to construct an additional parking garage or maybe expand the existing one.

At this point, I don't anticipate Carnival having more than two ships in New Orleans and they would probably leave on different days. Practice makes perfect, right?

NCL and Royal have their own employees and processes.

Here they are reporting that in 8 - 14 days from now show a southeasterly wind regime, which would prevent any further progress of the oil eastwards along the Florida Panhandle, and would tend to bring significant amounts of oil back to the shores of eastern Louisiana the end of next week.

June 5th, 2010

MOBILE, Ala. -- Despite oil washing onto Alabama's shores, Carnival Cruise Line said Saturday that the Elation's itinerary was not changed because of the oil in the Gulf of Mexico.

A five-day cruise, departing Mobile today and headed to the Caribbean, was not expected to alter its route, according to Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen.

Oil has been spotted on Alabama beaches and oil sheen was seen in areas of Mobile Bay.

The cruise line has not reported any oil on the Elation since the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded April 20. The Elation first arrived in Mobile on May 15, replacing the Fantasy. Gulliksen said that none of Carnival's cruises departing from the Gulf Coast have been affected by the spill.

They were dead on predicting when and where the oil would hit the Florida Panhandle.

As far as predicting Hurricanes I think they do a jam up job, especially three days out

Not too long ago I remember when they didn't have a clue as to where or when it would hit

I’m waiting for the new estimate of the escaping oil, should be out today or tomorrow. BP has been lying all along.

They are doing better at predicting the paths of hurricanes, but at one or two weeks out the different models are extremely divergent.

The oil is not a single entity like a hurricane and I doubt winds are going to have much of an effect on subsurface oil. Even the oil on the surface is not one continuous pool, but lots of pools or varying sizes. As time goes on, the spill is going to disperse in lots of directions, which will hasten its demise.

I put no faith in the ability of any model to accurately predict where the oil will be in a week, much less months from now.

If you read my post it stated 8-14 days out, I guess we shall see just how accurate they are this time next week.

I agree long term prediction is a guessing game and I think this years Tropical Season will play a larger part than anything.

First tho, we need to get it shut down , I know we both agree on that :)

Here they are reporting that in 8 - 14 days from now show a southeasterly wind regime, which would prevent any further progress of the oil eastwards along the Florida Panhandle, and would tend to bring significant amounts of oil back to the shores of eastern Louisiana the end of next week.

If that turns out to be the case then your good fortune would be most unwelcomed by the people in Louisiana. The only good (if you can call it that) direction for the bulk of the oil to take would be a southward drift away from all coastal states and out into the middle of the Gulf. We know it's not likely the area will experience strong northern winds at this time of the year since cold fronts don't make it down this far in the summer. I have found that since the spill started a more accurate indicator of the spill's movement has been the currents rather than the winds. What we need is a currents forecast for the next week or two showing the direction of the coastal and offshore currents in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm having trouble finding one that goes out more than a day or two so if anyone (calling Sarge :)) can find a map showing the Gulf of Mexico currents forecast for the next week or so please post it here.

They are doing better at predicting the paths of hurricanes, but at one or two weeks out the different models are extremely divergent.

The oil is not a single entity like a hurricane and I doubt winds are going to have much of an effect on subsurface oil. Even the oil on the surface is not one continuous pool, but lots of pools or varying sizes. As time goes on, the spill is going to disperse in lots of directions, which will hasten its demise.

I put no faith in the ability of any model to accurately predict where the oil will be in a week, much less months from now.

Iv watched on the news and when the wind blew more to the West, it took the oil away from florida it said ... so the winds have to have some effect, or the weathermen are all wrong.

As far as the models with dye ... that I agree with you ..they really dont know, its just wild guesses.

If that turns out to be the case then your good fortune would be most unwelcomed by the people in Louisiana. The only good (if you can call it that) direction for the bulk of the oil to take would be a southward drift away from all coastal states and out into the middle of the Gulf. We know it's not likely the area will experience strong northern winds at this time of the year since cold fronts don't make it down this far in the summer. I have found that since the spill started a more accurate indicator of the spill's movement has been the currents rather than the winds. What we need is a currents forecast for the next week or two showing the direction of the coastal and offshore currents in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm having trouble finding one that goes out more than a day or two so if anyone (calling Sarge :)) can find a map showing the Gulf of Mexico currents forecast for the next week or so please post it here.

I wish this on no one, we will all be dealing with this for a long long time. It’s like a bad dream and I can’t wake up. I get so upset that I have to turn the TV.

Iv watched on the news and when the wind blew more to the West, it took the oil away from florida it said ... so the winds have to have some effect, or the weathermen are all wrong.

As far as the models with dye ... that I agree with you ..they really dont know, its just wild guesses.

Much of the oil isn't on the surface. Of what you can see on the surface, yes, winds can push it around.

Archived