What's best place to snorkel

dreameral

We are going to St Thomas with the Liberty and would like to make a snorkeling day out of it. Where is the best place to snorkel. Should we go to Trunk Bay and do the trail or are there private excursions that are better. We have only snorkeled at Grand cayman and it was excellent. Lots of coral and fish. We'll be in port for 9:00-6:00

• 4 weeks later...
I have also been reading that Sapphire is an excellent beach for snorkeling as well.

not sure if you have been on your cruise yet .... Saphire is a beautiful beach snorkling was ok we are goin to try coki in sept

( Saphire Beach )

IMG_0198.jpg

Ok, so it's that area in the middle of the photo that goes out? That's the rocky area where all the fish are located? Any idea how deep it is there?

Wasn’t to deep, we were comfortable diving under and getting a closer look visibility wasn't perfect but as you can tell from the waves the water was a little rough

We had such a good time at Coki beach, I can't wait to go back!

Just a short taxi ride from the port and you snorkel right off the beach!

That was actually my first choice and I was going to go there, but then everyone was saying there is a better variety of fish/animal life in Sappphire. Have you been to Sapphire before and can compare?

No, I've never been to sapphire either...

Maybe someone who's been to both can help us out...

There's a bunch of post about Sapphire on here that people say they absolutely loved it and had more fish. That's what changed my mind from Coki to Sapphire. Someone posted they have seen: "large assortment of fish including rays, squid, sea turtles, barracuda, cow fish, puffer fish and so on." They also said that Coki is a little more dirtier than Sapphire, along with several locals that do and sell drugs on the beach, the restrooms aren't as clean and less of a variety of places to get food. I believe they mentioned that a lot of the tours go there, so the place also gets crowded easily. Then there isn't any "natural" shade anywhere like there is at Sapphire. The one thing that did interest me was the water is completely calm compared to Sapphire.

If I ever go back to to the island on a future trip, I will definitely check out Coki, just to see the difference.

Last time we were in St Thomas, we chartered a sailboat for the day. We did need to take the taxi to Red Hook, but there she picked us up in a dinghy , then a 5 min trip out out to the sailboat. We had some instructions on a sailboat, what to watch for etc, then off we were. The trip was up to us, snorkel, dive, fish, swim and we did it all, It was followed by some more great sightseeing, a really great gourmet lunch and run punches on our return home. It's really not that expensive, when you consider we were gone for 6 hrs, had lunch and drink and it included all the gear etc. If you want to check it out, you can go to info@daysailfantasy.com. captains name was Pamela and she's sailed the world. Great Captain, we really felt like her guests and great adventure.

Linda

The resort at Secret Harbor is a great place to go snorkeling. The water is wonderful and there are few other people. We have been there a couple of times now and it was wonderful. Last time we saw lobsters. There is dive shop on site and a restaurant also. It is very peaceful and uncrowded and great snorkeling. :cool:

We are going to St Thomas with the Liberty and would like to make a snorkeling day out of it. Where is the best place to snorkel. Should we go to Trunk Bay and do the trail or are there private excursions that are better. We have only snorkeled at Grand cayman and it was excellent. Lots of coral and fish. We'll be in port for 9:00-6:00

We also did Grand Cayman it was a lot of fun!!! We did stingrays...I kissed one..ewwww!! I am inquiring into two different sailboat trips for day of snorkeling.

The resort at Secret Harbor is a great place to go snorkeling. The water is wonderful and there are few other people. We have been there a couple of times now and it was wonderful. Last time we saw lobsters. There is dive shop on site and a restaurant also. It is very peaceful and uncrowded and great snorkeling. :cool:

Ditto on this, we went last month and vowed to return there on our next Eastern Carib cruise. (It's Secret Harbour if you are Googling it)

We loved the three beach snorkel tour with Homer - nightsnorkel.com

I will say that I have been to St Thomas many times and for the last 4-5 times we have met up with Homer. He picks us up at the pier and takes us in his vehicle to the beach. A locals type beach that not many tourist know about. We snorkel and or scuba with him at the beach everytime. When we are done he will take you anywhere you want on the island and even stop at K-mart for supplies.

He is the best which is why we always go back to him. I feel totally safe with him and at the beach. We leave all our stuff there while diving and it is all there when we return.

We just returned from the Freedom of the Seas cruise last week. We loved our snorkeling/beach excursion called something like "Snorkeling at Christmas Cove with the Turtles, and Beach BBQ at Honeymone Cove." This is a 6.5 hour excursion on The Bones pirate ship. We are experienced cruisers, and this was the best excursion ever. Six out of Seven in our group rated it the absolute highlight of the trip!

It is a 5 min walk to The Bones, right on the pier. This is important now, because of the crime and safety issues in St. Thomas. The Bones takes you to Turtle Cove (also called Christmas Cove), where we snorkeled and saw MANY turtles and lots of different fish. Then we sailed to a local beach called Honeymoon Cove. We anchored off shore, and swam to the most beautiful beach. Just like a postcard! We had a BBQ lunch (good food!) and played in the water for an hour.

Lots of Blackbeard Ale and Rum Punch served.....along with water and sodas. Do yourself a favor, and book this trip. You won't be disappointed. I will certainly book this again on our next trip to St. Thomas.:D

Archived