16 Day Transatlantic Demographics

I was wondering what to expect in terms of demographics on a 16 day transatlantic cruise (10/26/2011 sailing from Rome to Galveston)? Will it be mainly a "mature" crowd?
Yes, usually only retired or rich folks can spare this much time away.

Destinations and times of the year can influance the ages of your passengers. You will find children on cruises probably during the summer or Spring Breaks. We are by no means Rich and are retired, so have to plan our cruises. We aren't able to cruise multiple times a year or even yearly so go about every other year.

I was wondering what to expect in terms of demographics on a 16 day transatlantic cruise (10/26/2011 sailing from Rome to Galveston)? Will it be mainly a "mature" crowd?

Hello, I'm going on this cruise and brining my son who will then be 20 yrs old. I'm not in my "mature" years yet. I happen to have a lot of vacation time saved up (I get 4 weeks a year - woo hoo!). I have been dreaming for years to take my son on an international trip - this seems to be it!

BTW, the price for this cruise is just about the same as what I'm paying for my 7-day Mariner Mexico cruise.

Cheers!

There will be a lot of older people but nothing like what you would find on Holland American on any cruise. The reason is because the Trans-Atlantics are really cheap in comparison to other two-week plus cruises so it isn't just "rich" folks. We usually get a balcony cabin for less than $1000 and as cheap as $700 each. The airfare can be challenging but with research and advice from other Cruise Critic members you can usually get it within reason--say $600 each. If you have frequent flyer miles on American Airlines which "sells" one-way, even better. Our flight to Barcelona this fall will be $5 each using ff miles. Cruise is $799 x 2 (balcony cabin) $1,600, $10 airfare, $130 hotel room in Barcelona pre-cruise (food/wine/other beverages are free at the hotel), $10 bus to the hotel from the airport, 17 euros to the port, $280 tips on board, $20 miscellaneous tips $2,070. Actually less than that because we have OBC from booking on board or Diamond balcony discount of $300 or stockholder's discount of $250 if we have an inside/outside. Pretty cheap two week vacation.

There will be children because there are a lot more Europeans on this cruise. They have a different school schedule than we do--usually three months on one month off--to fit it in their schedule. Plus you have home schooled children. Good news is that you will seldom see them as the children's activities keep them busy and out of your hair. The funny part will be with the time change. You gain an hour many nights in a row. Little kids time clocks don't get it. They start getting up earlier and earlier so you will see one bleary-eyed parent riding herd on some Energizer Bunnies in the Promenade in the early morning so the other parent can sleep.

We have done several of these. We are in our mid sixties and have never thought of it as a "geezer" cruise. There were many younger than us.

FYI a little off topic. I strongly advise that you plan to self disembark. Firstly, it is the first Royal Caribbean cruise in for the season and, in my experience, they have not been adequately prepared in immigration for even a "normal" seven-day cruise. You have the Conquest there, also. Secondly, because of the abnormal amount of Europeans and Mexicans immigration really backs up with just the regular amount of workers. If you self disembark, you beat the crowd. On our first TA into Galveston we did not do it and it was 12:30 before our color was called and another hour in the immigration line. No big deal because we are local but for those catching flights a disaster as it is at least an hour and a quarter to the airport. The other three times, we have self disembarked and taken people to the airport. We have had them there by 9:30 at the latest.

Tucker in Texas

Since it is 16 day cruise, it will be mostly "mature" people. We've done four transatlantics and that has been the case on all of them. :)

There will be a lot of older people but nothing like what you would find on Holland American on any cruise. The reason is because the Trans-Atlantics are really cheap in comparison to other two-week plus cruises so it isn't just "rich" folks. We usually get a balcony cabin for less than $1000 and as cheap as $700 each. The airfare can be challenging but with research and advice from other Cruise Critic members you can usually get it within reason--say $600 each. If you have frequent flyer miles on American Airlines which "sells" one-way, even better. Our flight to Barcelona this fall will be $5 each using ff miles. Cruise is $799 x 2 (balcony cabin) $1,600, $10 airfare, $130 hotel room in Barcelona pre-cruise (food/wine/other beverages are free at the hotel), $10 bus to the hotel from the airport, 17 euros to the port, $280 tips on board, $20 miscellaneous tips $2,070. Actually less than that because we have OBC from booking on board or Diamond balcony discount of $300 or stockholder's discount of $250 if we have an inside/outside. Pretty cheap two week vacation.

There will be children because there are a lot more Europeans on this cruise. They have a different school schedule than we do--usually three months on one month off--to fit it in their schedule. Plus you have home schooled children. Good news is that you will seldom see them as the children's activities keep them busy and out of your hair. The funny part will be with the time change. You gain an hour many nights in a row. Little kids time clocks don't get it. They start getting up earlier and earlier so you will see one bleary-eyed parent riding herd on some Energizer Bunnies in the Promenade in the early morning so the other parent can sleep.

We have done several of these. We are in our mid sixties and have never thought of it as a "geezer" cruise. There were many younger than us.

FYI a little off topic. I strongly advise that you plan to self disembark. Firstly, it is the first Royal Caribbean cruise in for the season and, in my experience, they have not been adequately prepared in immigration for even a "normal" seven-day cruise. You have the Conquest there, also. Secondly, because of the abnormal amount of Europeans and Mexicans immigration really backs up with just the regular amount of workers. If you self disembark, you beat the crowd. On our first TA into Galveston we did not do it and it was 12:30 before our color was called and another hour in the immigration line. No big deal because we are local but for those catching flights a disaster as it is at least an hour and a quarter to the airport. The other three times, we have self disembarked and taken people to the airport. We have had them there by 9:30 at the latest.

Tucker in Texas

We are taking our first transatlantic this November on the Voyager from Barcelona to Galveston. If we like it, we'll book this 16 day from Rome for next year. Would love to spend some time pre-cruise in Rome :-).

We are not rich or retired. Even with the airfare, our cost for the transatlantic is no more than a couple of 7 days cruises in the Caribbean, so we consider it a great value. I expect there will be fewer children and a little older crowd than on a 7 day cruise, but that is fine with us. We are both in our late 50's and cruise to relax more than to party (been there, done that!).

As suggested earlier, we do plan to self-disembark in Galveston as I would expect lengthy delays getting off the ship (as well as boarding the ship too for those unlucky one that take the first cruise out of Galveston for the season).

"There will be children because there are a lot more Europeans on this cruise. They have a different school schedule than we do--usually three months on one month off--to fit it in their schedule. Plus you have home schooled children."

European mid-term holidays are earlier (and maximum 10 days). Home-schooling's illegal in most European countries. So there shouldn't be kids on-board unless the parents are relocating to the States (like we will be).

We might be on that cruise as well if we can figure out how to ship all our pets to the States in a civilized fashion - and will be retired by then we hope!

Do these cruises get booked up really early?? I mentioned to my husband I was looking at a cruise for October 2011 and he thinks I'm being obsessional.

"There will be children because there are a lot more Europeans on this cruise. They have a different school schedule than we do--usually three months on one month off--to fit it in their schedule. Plus you have home schooled children."

European mid-term holidays are earlier (and maximum 10 days). Home-schooling's illegal in most European countries. So there shouldn't be kids on-board unless the parents are relocating to the States (like we will be).

We might be on that cruise as well if we can figure out how to ship all our pets to the States in a civilized fashion - and will be retired by then we hope!

Do these cruises get booked up really early?? I mentioned to my husband I was looking at a cruise for October 2011 and he thinks I'm being obsessional.

just curious... why would you ship your pets to the U.S.??

We're retiring to the States in the fall/winter 2011 and trying to sort out the logistics for the move (which will include one dog who is too tall to travel on the Queen Mary, another dog + 2 cats - I have a long thread about this on another forum! None of whom would appreciate being locked in the cargo hold for a 15hours+ flight(s)). OK, our pets are all old and so who knows who will be crossing the Atlantic in 18 months (sigh).

I'm also trying to find a freighter that would take us kit'n'caboodle from Europe to (preferably) Galveston (I'm a Texan with family in Houston).. but so far with no success.

As we're moving after 30+ years living in Europe, we'll have a lot of baggage we need to keep with us and a cruiseship would be cheaper and more practical for us - problem is the pets.

We're retiring to the States in the fall/winter 2011 and trying to sort out the logistics for the move (which will include one dog who is too tall to travel on the Queen Mary, another dog + 2 cats - I have a long thread about this on another forum! None of whom would appreciate being locked in the cargo hold for a 15hours+ flight(s)). OK, our pets are all old and so who knows who will be crossing the Atlantic in 18 months (sigh).

I'm also trying to find a freighter that would take us kit'n'caboodle from Europe to (preferably) Galveston (I'm a Texan with family in Houston).. but so far with no success.

As we're moving after 30+ years living in Europe, we'll have a lot of baggage we need to keep with us and a cruiseship would be cheaper and more practical for us - problem is the pets.

I understand!! our pets are as much a part of our family as our kids, and at times treat us better...lol... my dogs are ALWAYS glad to see me when I walk in the door... I can't remember a single time they were not glad to see me!!!

Congratulations on your retirement and home coming... hope it works out for you and your four legged loved ones!!

We were on the first TA on the Voyager from Barcelona to Galveston. The only problem with disenbarkation was that Galveston was not ready for 6,000 px at the same time. DD and SIL and kids were picking us up and really had to kill about 5 hrs before we were off and ready.

As far a demographics go, there was a wonderful mixture of people. Our tablemates were fantastic. There were 3 sisters from south Texas, one couple from Switzerland, one from Australia, a single man from Scotland and us. Had the best time of all our cruises. Really became friends and still stay in touch with them. There was a mixture of px from ages to nationalities and were wonderful people. Loved this cruise!!

I also forgot to mention that your cruise is much earlier than ours. We arrived in Galveston on Dec.23. The weather was fantastic. Our 5 days at sea were smooth as glass. Only one rain shower. Also our cruise visited more ports than they do now.

I understand!! our pets are as much a part of our family as our kids, and at times treat us better...lol... my dogs are ALWAYS glad to see me when I walk in the door... I can't remember a single time they were not glad to see me!!!

Congratulations on your retirement and home coming... hope it works out for you and your four legged loved ones!!

20 years ago, a doggie friend of mine (a physicist at CERN who got transferred to Stanford) took a freighter with her 2 Irish Wolfhounds and the cat to Galveston. The trip went really well - my sister put her in touch with Irish Wolfhound owners in Houston who picked her up in Galveston and got her all set for the drive to California. Unfortunately, the friend has since passed away and my sister can't remember any details of the trip AND it seems like freighters won't transport pets anymore. Pity, because the friend told me the crew were fantastic, the dogs were happy as clams (cat wasn't too keen though, I seem to recall).

Yes, our dogs are generally much, much happier to see us than our daughter is!!

20 years ago, a doggie friend of mine (a physicist at CERN who got transferred to Stanford) took a freighter with her 2 Irish Wolfhounds and the cat to Galveston. The trip went really well - my sister put her in touch with Irish Wolfhound owners in Houston who picked her up in Galveston and got her all set for the drive to California. Unfortunately, the friend has since passed away and my sister can't remember any details of the trip AND it seems like freighters won't transport pets anymore. Pity, because the friend told me the crew were fantastic, the dogs were happy as clams (cat wasn't too keen though, I seem to recall).

Yes, our dogs are generally much, much happier to see us than our daughter is!!

maybe take the pets on the cruise and ship the kids???... lol

• 1 month later...

Yup, lots of 65+ folks. Ship usually goes to be at around 11:00pm, especially if it was a port day. Can be tough to find things to do if you are a night owl. Seen many a disco with only the staff dancing. :D

That being said, we very much enjoy the cruise and the people. We are taking our fourth TA this November and go into it knowing it will be quiet at night.

Tucker in Texas

Would you mind sharing info on the Barcelona hotel? Sounds like a great price...

Thanks...azannbob@juno.com

Archived