Seasickness on Transatlantic?

hickoryhunt

Ricki, I'm impressed! We had a night of very rough seas on our last crossing, but nothing as dramatic as what you encountered. All the more reason to come prepared, I suppose.

We look forward to meeting you onboard QM2 this summer.

And we look forward to meeting you, as well, Taxted! It's actually not that far away.

Ricki

I've always relied on crystalized/candied ginger as a preventative. I grab a pocketful whenever I leave the restaurant. Last December it was unavailable for a few days because of Norovirus restrictions; fortunately, it returned in time to see me through the Force 11 storm. BTW, the Mythbusters guys have confirmed its efficacy; but, sadly for them, they tested by sitting on spinning chairs instead of by crossing on QM2 during a great storm.

What do we think causes sea sickness?

Yes the doctors will tell us there is a conflict between what your eyes see and what your inner ears, which help with balance, sense. Then they might tell us it is our brain receiving a jumble of contrasting information, which is thought to bring on the symptoms of motion sickness.

But who here knows of or has been sea sick when travelling in a cabin that has no ocean view and very little if no movement at all?

Thank goodness that for most of us it will quicklypass and after a few days we will be sat alongside the most hardened of old sea salts eating that greasy bacon and having a huge grin on our rosy coloured faces.

To have medication or cure then does the supplier know the cause? Is a medication that might make us drowsy be capable of making us less alert and less focussed on our suffering?

A question that is asked to hopefully get medical folk to make a few observations.

What is in the fabled "injection"? I`ve tried everything. The scopolamine patches were fine for me until I removed them. They left me with a heart rate abnormality & I ended up in hospital. They are powerful drugs!

I quite like the drowsiness on the first few days out after taking some form of seasick tablet. Its nice to relax into shipboard life. However, for me its not just a matter of getting my sea legs. Even many days into a cruise if its rough I suffer. Very annoying. Interesting that the staff in the dining room sent a handful of ginger to me via DH when I had to miss dinner one time. The fear of mal de mer is also a significant factor

Definitely. I think that for most people, when you start to feel queasy, attitude makes a difference. If you focus too much on the whole issue, you can talk yourself into being completely sick. Or you can talk yourself out of it. If I get queasy, a little ginger ale and some deep breaths, and I'm good. But the power of positive thinking only goes so far. If it gets bad enough--and everyone has a different threshold--no amount of positive thinking will help.

The nature of the motion makes a difference, too. Pitch doesn't bother me. Roll does, a little. Dh doesn't mind roll, but hates pitch. I suppose it's the length of the cycle of motion. Corkscrewing is just plain nasty.

Strangely the ONLY time I have ever felt at all seasick was on a ferry from Weymouth to Jersey. The sea was like a millpond and the only motion at all was an extremely gentle sway from side to side. I didn't actually feel sick but felt very lightheaded and disorientated. We were in an inside cabin. I ended up spending the night (it was an overnight crossing) up on deck in the fresh air with a couple of other souls who were feeling just like me! Up on deck I was absolutely fine.

So what causes sea sickness....:):) I have no idea but a rough sea has never caused me any problems whatsoever. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones!

What do we think causes sea sickness?

Yes the doctors will tell us there is a conflict between what your eyes see and what your inner ears, which help with balance, sense. Then they might tell us it is our brain receiving a jumble of contrasting information, which is thought to bring on the symptoms of motion sickness.

But who here knows of or has been sea sick when travelling in a cabin that has no ocean view and very little if no movement at all?

Thank goodness that for most of us it will quicklypass and after a few days we will be sat alongside the most hardened of old sea salts eating that greasy bacon and having a huge grin on our rosy coloured faces.

To have medication or cure then does the supplier know the cause? Is a medication that might make us drowsy be capable of making us less alert and less focussed on our suffering?

A question that is asked to hopefully get medical folk to make a few observations.

Glojo, I think that you've put it as well as any doctor could. The cause does seem to be conflicting messages from the eyes, the limbs, and the inner ear. As for why the drugs used to treat it work, it isn't entirely clear. Most of these medications are antihistamines, and we know that they target the areas in the brain that control nausea. The fact that they can produce drowsiness may also play a part simply ny slowing down the brain's reaction to these mixed signals (or so a doctor on QM2 told me). Some of these drugs help to relieve anxiety (Vistaril, a prescription drug is an example) which could be a boon as well.

The fact that we don't fully understand how they drugs work shouldn't surprise us. Think of asprin.

The fact that we don't fully understand how they drugs work shouldn't surprise us. Think of asprin.

Medicine is indeed a dark art

Professor Fleming tells us mould can be a life saver and yet others will say the crew of the Mary Celeste died because of mould (you'll have to think about that one) :eek:;)

Medicine is indeed a dark art

Professor Fleming tells us mould can be a life saver and yet others will say the crew of the Mary Celeste died because of mould (you'll have to think about that one) :eek:;)

I did think about it, and although mold seems an unlikely cause of that nautical mystery, when I get home I'll be going through my fridge and throwing out anything that has so much as a hint of the stuff growing on it!

I did think about it, and although mold seems an unlikely cause of that nautical mystery, when I get home I'll be going through my fridge and throwing out anything that has so much as a hint of the stuff growing on it!

Hint..

Throw out the mouldy rye bread ;);)

Hi,

I do get seasick, but have taken many cruises, and one transatlantic on QM2.

Have another one booked next June from Hamburg on her.

I always use the scopolomine patch and have had almost no bouts since I started with them. I use 1/2 a patch every 3 days ( I weigh 125). When I tried the whole patch, it affected my vision, so I went to 1/2 and have had good results. You need a prescription though.

I think Bonine works well too. I have the bands, but don't think they work for me.

Good luck, and don't miss a great cruise because of this. There are too many options for avoiding bad days at sea.

Archived