got crabs?

bottom-dragger

And the size of the pot is? Are they already cooked or is that their natural /live color?And that is how many in there? What parts of it do you eat, whole thing, legs and claws only? Don't look anything like the things my brother catches with chicken necks down in the Chesapeake Bay. Or the blue ones at Saturday AM Haymarket Square down to Boston. I might just have to try one of those monsters, somewhere.

Thanks Bottom-D, I'd been reading about Dungeness in the guide books, but a picture and some melted butter make all the difference.

i pulled my traps just before the commercial season starts

crab1.jpg

six is about all i want to deal with per day. they are at least 6.5" across the back of the shell. legs/claws/body meat are all eatable. they aren't lawb-stuh so we don't dredge them in buttuah. my uncle was a waterman in newbury mass. steam, don't boil, we're not making soup

crab2.jpg

these aren't maryland crab cakes, we don't deep fry.

crablast.jpg

you want a piece of this? gotta come to tiny town.

Thanks again Bottom-D. for taking the time. Those shots are primo, and the info. filled the gap. Did I read/hear right that I could get some passable Dungeness in Haines? Or am I talking to a Ford man about a Chevy? Remember I'm a newbie trying to talk to the Big Dogs. Momma cooked us up the rabbit, squirrel, and pigeons that my brothers brought home, but I think pop drew the line on the snapping turtles, and eels that they caught. Those always went to a neighbor. Fried fish and some oyster stew was the extent of my watery life menu growing up.

Well thier is nothing better then a fresh caught dunge, oh you have made this fellow Alaskan very hungry and I have actually deep fried dunge right on the boat on the stove. I was just out of Cordova, AK when I did that and oh yummy yummy.

Also I love Halibut when they have been eating a lot of shrimp as they have that great taste. Although my joke is Halibut is so dammed ugly not even its own mother likes it lol.

Adri :)

Did I read/hear right that I could get some passable Dungeness in Haines? Or am I talking to a Ford man about a Chevy?

we've had this discussion before. haines = the bamboo room and halibut. then step next door and have a spruce tip beer from the haines brewing co. say hello to paul wheeler if you go to the brewery at the fairgrounds.

snowpup, i pulled your schedule. about 3-4 hours out of juneau you'll be in the area where stephen's pass meets frederick sound. five fingers lighthouse, the brothers, port houghton, cape fanshaw, you're going to be in the largest feeding ground for humpbacks in southeast alaska. wave to port, wave really high so i can see you. i'll be about 30 miles to the east, just over the horizon.

i really can't think of anywhere on your trip that is waving a flag saying ' we've got dungies '. king crab seems to be the thing that visitors wet themselves over. guess you have to come back some day to tiny town. the lovely mrs b-d is a city librarian so i'm sure the two of you could have hours of fun discussing the dewey decimal system.

have a good trip, wash your hands, talk to strangers.

If the fish eat the shrimp am I then allergic to the fish?

Never thought about that.

I do miss eating crab but one bad reaction taught me that they aren't for me.

Its so little its just a teeny tiny flavor and I never thaught of that either. My mother is alergic to shrimp as well and has had halibut and never had a problem so just somthing to keep in mind.

Adri :)

wave to port, wave really high so i can see you. i'll be about 30 miles to the east, just over the horizon.

guess you have to come back some day to tiny town. the lovely mrs b-d is a city librarian so i'm sure the two of you could have hours of fun discussing the dewey decimal system.

have a good trip, wash your hands, talk to strangers.

Will be out on our port side balcony, waving and scoping out the scenery and the water for signs of our water born cousins. Would love to come back for a second visit to catch some of what we missed on our first time through. Hoping to hook hubby and reel him in for another trip. I'd probably end up picking your brain as much as mrs. b-d's, though you CAN tell her that we still have sign out cards and those date stampers for my library at school. I grew up with brothers and never did play well with the girls.

We WILL have a wonderful trip; working with germy kids I wash my hands at least 8 times a day; and we always talk to strangers and find they know someone we know.

Checking my map for your landmarks to track. I fly with my nose against the window. At least with cruising I won't get that cross-eyed feeling from looking through double layered windows. You DID say lighthouse:D Oh boy, oh boy.

Archived