Question on Vistafjord/ Caronia deck plans

rosinryanz

Hello cruisers:

I know the great Vistafjord/ Caronia has been out of the Cunard fleet for some time, but I have a lingering question that's been on my mind for years that I'm hoping someone on this board can clear up.

Attached are two images of the Sun Deck and Promenade Deck plans. Next to several cabins is a small triangle symbol, which according to the legend says, "There are steps leading up to, or around these cabins." What on earth does that mean? Can someone explain what is meant by that?

I remember seeing this years ago, but in the pre-Internet days I didn't have anyone to ask. I'm hoping that someone who sailed on her might be able to clear up this statement. Thanks!

ccu101dd.jpg.35db7621e65fcdabf9da0ed047552101.jpg

ccu101de.jpg.a7eb587494954613160e95747cbe560c.jpg

When Vistafjord was built for Norwegian America Line [maiden voyage in May 1973], the raised area with stairs [today non-ADA compliant] you ask about was a hallway on the starboard side leading to a one-level nightclub [that could also be used as a First Class Dining Room if needed, with a small kitchen that was on the port side]. Outside the nightclub aft was a large open area with four shuffleboard courts [and the nightclub had floor-to-ceiling doors that could be opened to the shuffleboard deck area].

Later on, the nightclub was moved aft [replacing part of the original shuffleboard area] and cabins were built on the remaining raised area [ergo, with no elevator access ... albeit I believe an elevator was eventually installed from the pool deck buffet area to the new nightclub, that I believe was on two levels].

You can probably find as-built Norwegian America Line Vistafjord deck plans on some website.

Archived