Self-Assist Debarkation

marlin1518

Ok, like this is absolutely the last thing I truly want to know about !! But on the last day of the cruise, if you choose self-assist, are you able to get off when ever you like to, or do you have to get off prior to them calling zones for debarkation ? Also, if you leave your luggage in the room to go for some breakfast will it be ok, or do you have to take it with you ? I have always given my luggage the night before and got off when they have called my zone #, but this time I do not have a plane to catch and I was thinking about chilling for a bit before getting off...

Are you wanting to do self assist so you can be the last off the ship?

Different ports/ships handle self assist order in various ways, so at time the order can change from week to week. You dont have to go when they call you group.

They normally want you out of your room around 8:30ish, so if you plan to eat well before then your bag should be ok.

If you just want to chill, I would put my bags out and just leave the ship with one of the final groups. You will have to handle you bags for the duration of chill time if you opt for self assist.

If, in fact, you're wanting to just relax and chill on the last morning, I'd just let them have my luggage the night before. Then I just sit around the Lido somewhere, have a relaxing breakfast, get a cup of coffee or tea, and sit back and watch the fun.

Then, when you absolutely must leave, yours is the only luggage around to find. Customs and Immigrations officials want to get the heck out and you just stroll thru to your car.

We did SELF-ASSIST for the 1st time this week getting off The Glory -NYC- (4Day) and it worked GREAT. We were on the Panorama deck(10)they called our deck around 9:00am there no crowds on the elevators and we were through customs within 20 minutes. Getting a CAB home was a totally different story. :( I would definitely recommend it if you don't have too many pieces of luggage.

I do self-assist debarkation 90% of the time. I always wait to be one of the last off the ship. You can get off the ship at any time.

Main reason I do this is because I like to miss rush hour traffic in my home port of Long Beach (Los Angeles area). Plus I usually take a 20"-22" suitcase and a small backpack. If I had a larger piece, then I probably would go by zone. But even then, I might wait to disembark.

Ask your room steward if it is ok to leave your stuff in the cabin just to get breakfast. We usually do this, but leave all of our stuff in the closet area ready to go. Afterwards, we get our luggage and then go to the deck above the lobby and watch the people get off the ship. That is usually a good show.

Archived