Ventura - Deck advice please

WATB

Hi again everyone......asking for more advice please from members who have been on the Ventura, I'm very grateful for your guidance :)

we are looking to book a standard balcony cabin on the Ventura for a Fjord cruise.....

please could you say which deck you feel is the best for this type of cabin, particularly thinking about unobstructed views and low noise levels ........

we prefer to be either up the front or in the middle of the deck not too far from the lift or stairs, any cabin recommendations would be a real bonus, thank you .........

sorry for my non-nautical terms :o

WATB

Easy - C Deck.

Avoid Riviera deck - many of the balconies there have overhangs above them which extend beyond the end of the balcony. This will make looking upwards (towards the top of the mountains when you're close in) difficult. The balconies are also not big.

A & B decks are OK, but again have quite small balconies; also the 'roof' of the balcony (which is the floor of the balcony above) extends over all of it, although in the case of these decks there's no overhang beyond the end of the balcony. On C deck, however, you have a standard balcony cabin but a double-depth balcony. That is, it extends out beyond the roof above it, so you can stand out at your balcony rail and have nothing directly above you.

D deck also has fully exposed balconies (i.e. with nothing above them), but most of the D deck cabins are larger and therefore more expensive.

So C deck, if you can get one - they are very popular.

Specific cabins - well, we've been in C325 twice - it's not too far from the central stairs/lifts, and it's also just the cheaper side of a price divide! We're also going in C324, a similarly-positioned cabin on the other side of the ship for our next Ventura cruise.

We were in cabin R259. It was superb near enough the stairs and lifts to not have to walk far but just away from them so their was no noise. It was very quiet and we had no problems with the view outside at all. The motion of the ship was also not very noticeable in this cabin. There was no noise from engines or laundry etc which we have experienced in the past. This is the best cabin we have had so far in 4 cruises.

Chris

I have just returned from a cruise on Ventura, I know that this does not refer to Balcony cabins, but thought that anyone booking an inside cabin would like to know that cabin A536 was unbearable the engine noise was sooooo loud and even worse lying down to sleep, i stuck it for 2 nights, with only 5 hrs sleep in 2 days , i was a wreck, i was lucky i got moved after someone had to fly home for a family emergency - to cabin B341 which was fine. Since returning home and studying the deck plans, there seems to be a lot of these "White areas" and so caution should be taken when planning a cruise. Apart from that , everything was good, food , staff, and theatre entertainment excellent. Roll on Oct for my cruise on the Azura,take care, audrey.:D PS the 2 sailaways were fantastic, so patriotic, so different from my many USA cruises:)

I dont disagree with the advice given and would probably choose a C deck balcony cabin when next on Ventura or Azura but just to point out the larger balconys on C deck are overlooked.

This isnt an issue for most but I have talked to some who have been unhappy about being in full view of the decks above when they are sat out sunbathing or on the balcony having their morning tea in a nightie!

As I said many would still prefer the larger balcony verses the overlooked aspect however I think its best the OP has all the info to make their decision.

I would also add that midship is a great location on Ventura/Azura due to being able to access the Atrium lifts and the aft lifts, both of which are required to be able to get to parts of the ship.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and sharing your own experiences on this........I've not been able to find any C deck cabins available so probably won't being having one of these..........not so sure about them now anyhow as a good point made by kevin that these are overlooked and we'd prefer to have a bit of privacy for that morning cuppa.

What are coming up most and are slightly (only just) cheaper are B deck cabins, at the front........would anyone recommend we don't go for one of these ?

We thought about the convenience of Lido deck but wondered if it would be a bit on the busy side with all the amenities that are on this level ?

Thanks so much for your help.............Wishing you all a great time on your next cruise. WATB

Just to pick on a point about the C deck balconies: they aren't fully overlooked, only 50% overlooked. That is, from the window to half-way across them isn't overlooked (you're under the floor of the one above), but from half-way out to the rail you are overlooked. It's this 'overlooked space' that's the extra space. So you can certainly have your morning tea in the covered area (close to the cabin) and be out of site of anyone above you. This covered/concealed area is the same size as the complete balcony on Riviera, A & B decks.

D deck balconies are completely overlooked, however; they don't tuck under the C deck balconies at all.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and sharing your own experiences on this........I've not been able to find any C deck cabins available so probably won't being having one of these..........not so sure about them now anyhow as a good point made by kevin that these are overlooked and we'd prefer to have a bit of privacy for that morning cuppa.

What are coming up most and are slightly (only just) cheaper are B deck cabins, at the front........would anyone recommend we don't go for one of these ?

We thought about the convenience of Lido deck but wondered if it would be a bit on the busy side with all the amenities that are on this level ?

Thanks so much for your help.............Wishing you all a great time on your next cruise. WATB

i don,t think you would go far wrong with a cabin on lido deck, we had one there this year, although we had a suite, our 3 children and their partners each had an inside just along from us. we all loved that deck, not at all noisy and only busy when you entered the pool areas. i would have no hesitation in recommending that deck, although we were at front of ship, cabin L106, and other 3 had L220, 224, and 240, so i would probably sugggest you try for nearer the front as possible

for our next cruise we have booked a c deck cabin, only because with not so many of us going , we didn,t feel a suite was necessary, but we wanted the larger balcony, but i did love the lido deck, very convenient,

and also close the the spa and gym.

good luck whatever you decide.

I think that given a choice between B deck and Lido deck I would chose Lido. Think they are a grade lower so a little cheaper plus they have little through traffic at all. Lovely and high so great views and so close to everything. However if its still a concern then you will be fine with a B deck balcony too. We had an A deck balcony on Azura and we were more than happy with the size (same as B deck and Lido deck). You get two recliner chairs, a footstool and a small table. Im sure whichever you chose you will enjoy it.

Hi Kevin, Sammy and Tom, thanks again for your thoughts on this, they've been a great help to me.......

I'm back to looking at B, C and Lido deck now.........Riveria deck is out due to this overhang thing on the balcony...........

I am really tempted by C deck now I know there is a bit that's private (first thing in the morning not a great look!!) and Lido deck would be great if we can get one far enough away from the amenities........

but if all else fails we'll be more than happy on B deck, I'm sure :)......................

just got to track down that perfect cabin now.......wish me luck ;)

Hello,

We have just returned from a Ventura 7 day cruise and I can definitely recommend B433 or B435. The cabins are midship nearly adjacent to the central lifts and were so 'steady' that we never felt the ship roll at all, although the weather through the Bay of Biscay was kind to us. On a couple of days whilst we enjoyed the benefits of the buffet restaurant in Waterside you could feel slight movement of the ship with a noticeable vibration which I assume was being transmitted from the propellers.

On a previous cruise we have had cabins B246 & B250 (there isn’t a 248). Again both were good.

We liked the privacy of B deck which you don’t get with C or D unless you hide inside the balcony away from the rail due to being overlooked BUT on a number of occasions I noted that C & D decks got the sun but we didn’t.

Paul

Does anyone know what occupies the white space forward on D deck, opposite the CC grade cabins? I am considering a OF grade inside and if this on C deck I would like to know what is below me on D deck.

Hi, I am not sure what all the white spaces are, but i can tell you that my cabin on A deck- A536 was next to a white space, the engine noise - or what ever the official explanation is , was HELL, it was an ear deafining noise, that didnt stop, and even worse when laying down - trying to sleep, I was a wreck after only 5 hrs of sleep in 2 days, i finally got moved late afternoon on the monday, to cabin B341, it was heaven compared to the A cabin, the accomodation officer said that the machinery ran through the ship, all i can say is - they must have lots of complaints about these cabins, unless one is Stone Deaf, you cannot stand it, i tried - earplugs, my MP3 player- noise cancelling earphones , but nothing could stop the noise. I am use to hearing back ground noises, I live in a high rise block of flats and the ventillation shaft is very noisy and i have to use earplugs at times, so noise is not new to me, I have only partial hearing in my left ear, i cant imagine what the effect would be to anyone with normal hearing. I can only speak about my cabin, but i am sure there must be plenty of people on Cruise Critic who knows more about ships than i do; I hope you manage to get a good cabin, and enjoy your future cruise, take care, audrey.:)

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

we are off on our first cruise on Ventura this July to the med,:) we are booked into stateroom R228 (inside cabin) and looking for any info from anyone who knows of it or better still...stayed in it.

Are they fine for space, noisey? I also noticed that it is twin bedded rather than the king size we asked for when booking...can the beds be moved together?:confused:

Hi all,

we are off on our first cruise on Ventura this July to the med,:) we are booked into stateroom R228 (inside cabin) and looking for any info from anyone who knows of it or better still...stayed in it.

Are they fine for space, noisey? I also noticed that it is twin bedded rather than the king size we asked for when booking...can the beds be moved together?:confused:

Take a look at the Ventura virtual tour, select R deck and then an inside cabin for a view of what to expect. Call your agent to get them to change the bed request in advance or ask your cabin steward to re-arrange on boarding. Your cabin is underneath Lido deck cabins so there should be little noise.

We have a C deck balcony cabin for August - there are 2 adults and 2 children in our cabin. Do you know if there are 4 chairs for the balcony, or just 2?

Also are the balcony doors lockable, for my peace of mind, to make sure the kids don't go out there when I am on full alert...?

Thanks in advance

Just two chairs.

As regards the balcony door, I don't recall a real locking system; but there again, we haven't needed one (we don't have children). Basically, what happens is that there's a big handle and you rotate through 180 degrees to 'lock' the door. Of course, to open it, you just rotate back through 180 degrees. I assume that there must be a real lock somewhere.

We'll be on Ventura in 48 hours' time! - I'll look then.

We have a C deck balcony cabin for August - there are 2 adults and 2 children in our cabin. Do you know if there are 4 chairs for the balcony, or just 2?

Also are the balcony doors lockable, for my peace of mind, to make sure the kids don't go out there when I am on full alert...?

Thanks in advance

No just two recliner chairs a table and a footstool. There is a lock on the balcony door at the top. Probably over 6 foot off the floor. It is a push/pull lever which is out of reach of children unless they stood on the stool for instance.

Archived